generic pc3200 512mb which motherboard

lee

Hi all got a stick of matrix generic pc3200 512mb

and having trouble with it on my kt4 ultra msi
can anyone tell me of a brand of motherboard that works well with the
generic pc3200 memory...just keep coming across all these memory matrix
tables on all the motherboard support sites

thanks all

begin 666 frown.gif
M1TE&.#EA#P`/`-4@`-#@_\+7_[?0__W]_ZW*_NOQ_[',_\W>__CZ_^;N_]OG
M_ZG&^O+V_][I_];D_\C;_^'K_]/B_\S=_]_J_[/-__O\_[W4__[^__7X_ZC%
M^??Y_\#6_[S3_Z?$^/___P```*2DI ``````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M`````````````````````````````````"'Y! $``" `+ `````/``\```9K
M0)!0^"D6ATA0T<-D'I$?9S/J^0RIU*D'8556F^!/P9I=.L6-B+E:_B@.@35X
MP)@<+!2Y9U#1) `<!!E%%P@8#$9%`@L='60)$!\.`!(!!A^-76X`#QL"!HR-
3CE<!`@2BHEU7F*A/24J)24$`.P``
`
end

Lee wrote:
> Hi all got a stick of matrix generic pc3200 512mb
>
> and having trouble with it on my kt4 ultra msi
> can anyone tell me of a brand of motherboard that works well with the
> generic pc3200 memory...just keep coming across all these memory matrix
> tables on all the motherboard support sites

Did you try setting the timings manually?

Ben

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Ben Pope wrote:
> Lee wrote:
>> Hi all got a stick of matrix generic pc3200 512mb
>>
>> and having trouble with it on my kt4 ultra msi
>> can anyone tell me of a brand of motherboard that works well with the
>> generic pc3200 memory...just keep coming across all these memory
>> matrix tables on all the motherboard support sites
>
> Did you try setting the timings manually?
>
> Ben

Dude, it's generic, no wonder you're having problems!

Always buy a brand name for memory

HTH
Steve

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:25:36 +0100, Steve wrote:

> Dude, it's generic, no wonder you're having problems!
>
> Always buy a brand name for memory

So why aren't I having problems with any of my generic ram. I use it in
every system I build for myself. Yep the sytem below has it. My A64 system
has it, My XP system has it. And about 200 other systems I've built have
it. If you want to waste your money, fine. But don't try to scare others
into it with BS. As long as you buy smart, generic will work as good and
better sometimes than name brand.

Steve wrote:
> Ben Pope wrote:
>> Lee wrote:
>>> Hi all got a stick of matrix generic pc3200 512mb
>>>
>>> and having trouble with it on my kt4 ultra msi
>>> can anyone tell me of a brand of motherboard that works well with the
>>> generic pc3200 memory...just keep coming across all these memory
>>> matrix tables on all the motherboard support sites
>>
>> Did you try setting the timings manually?
>
> Dude, it's generic,

Indeed.

> no wonder you're having problems!

I'm not having any problems, thanks. The OP seems to be though.

> Always buy a brand name for memory

Thats what I do, but generic should work too.

Ben

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:25:36 +0100, Steve wrote:
>
>> Dude, it's generic, no wonder you're having problems!
>>
>> Always buy a brand name for memory
>>
> So why aren't I having problems with any of my generic ram. I use it
> in every system I build for myself. Yep the sytem below has it. My
> A64 system has it, My XP system has it. And about 200 other systems
> I've built have it. If you want to waste your money, fine. But don't
> try to scare others into it with BS. As long as you buy smart,
> generic will work as good and better sometimes than name brand.

The fact is a lot of the funky problems that people have with their PCs are
related to generic poor quality RAM. Also stuff like Kingston, Crucial,
Corsair etc comes with a lifetime warranty which is very handy to have.

Steve

"Steve" <bond_youknowtherest_uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Wes Newell wrote:
> > On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:25:36 +0100, Steve wrote:
> >
> >> Dude, it's generic, no wonder you're having problems!
> >>
> >> Always buy a brand name for memory
> >>
> > So why aren't I having problems with any of my generic ram. I use it
> > in every system I build for myself. Yep the sytem below has it. My
> > A64 system has it, My XP system has it. And about 200 other systems
> > I've built have it. If you want to waste your money, fine. But don't
> > try to scare others into it with BS. As long as you buy smart,
> > generic will work as good and better sometimes than name brand.
>
> The fact is a lot of the funky problems that people have with their PCs
are
> related to generic poor quality RAM. Also stuff like Kingston, Crucial,
> Corsair etc comes with a lifetime warranty which is very handy to have.
>
> Steve

Huh?
My ram. "All Components Memory" for the most part, generic.
Going by CPU-Z, cause I don't feel like resetting to find out where I have
things set.
memory is running @ 170 MHz
CAS L = 2.5
RAS to CAS D @ 3
the RAS P is the same, 3
and cycle time is @ 5
The memory it's self don't have a name on it.
CPU-Z brings it up as SpecTek.

Hm, if it's pc2100 running this fast, that's what's holding my overclock
back.
Hm..
While writing this, I was playing around with the clock rates of my AMD.
2.5
Ran 3DMark03 While writing this to see if will make it through it.
Next, is to run Sandra memory test over & over about 20 or 30 times.
I started writing this @ about 2:45 Pm EST
I didn't want to finish it till I knew I had the system stable.
Ran 40 times on these timings.
Speed on Sandra.
2783 MBs / 2655 MBs
I had re-set timings to
2.5
But it ran faster then my FX5200, and slowed things down.
Keep saying bad things about Generic if you wish.

Denny. :)

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 03:26:28 +0100, Steve wrote:

> Wes Newell wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:25:36 +0100, Steve wrote:
>>
>>> Dude, it's generic, no wonder you're having problems!
>>>
>>> Always buy a brand name for memory
>>>
>> So why aren't I having problems with any of my generic ram. I use it
>> in every system I build for myself. Yep the sytem below has it. My
>> A64 system has it, My XP system has it. And about 200 other systems
>> I've built have it. If you want to waste your money, fine. But don't
>> try to scare others into it with BS. As long as you buy smart,
>> generic will work as good and better sometimes than name brand.
>
> The fact is a lot of the funky problems that people have with their PCs are
> related to generic poor quality RAM. Also stuff like Kingston, Crucial,
> Corsair etc comes with a lifetime warranty which is very handy to have.

The problems are usually with the person that bought it. Most of the
people don't know anything even basic about ram except maybe what ram
stands for. :)
I can't count how many times I've seen people here buying PC3200 ram
becase that what their MB ad/manual says the board supports. Granted,
some cheap generic (and even name brand) PC3200 ram won't cut the
mustard. So why didn't they buy PC3700 ram and avoid all these problems?
also can't count how many times I've said buy faster ram and they come
back with "my MB only supports PC3200". And you wonder why these people
have problems.:)

wally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2001

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 03:26:28 +0100, "Steve"
<bond_youknowtherest_uk@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Wes Newell wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:25:36 +0100, Steve wrote:
>>
>>> Dude, it's generic, no wonder you're having problems!
>>>
>>> Always buy a brand name for memory
>>>
>> So why aren't I having problems with any of my generic ram. I use it
>> in every system I build for myself. Yep the sytem below has it. My
>> A64 system has it, My XP system has it. And about 200 other systems
>> I've built have it. If you want to waste your money, fine. But don't
>> try to scare others into it with BS. As long as you buy smart,
>> generic will work as good and better sometimes than name brand.
>
>The fact is a lot of the funky problems that people have with their PCs are
>related to generic poor quality RAM. Also stuff like Kingston, Crucial,
>Corsair etc comes with a lifetime warranty which is very handy to have.
>
>Steve

Lifetime warranty and computers??? Anything over a year pretty well
sees the end of it's usefulness so why bother paying extra for
something that ain't going to be of use.