Quick question

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

Got a Soltek SL-75DRV5-C that I'm not using and I'm going to flog it on
Ebay. It's a Via Apollo KT333 chipset. Has the latest BIOS flash, which
allows it to support up to XP2700's. My question is this. Does this board
support Barton XP's? Which ones?

Augustus wrote:
> Got a Soltek SL-75DRV5-C that I'm not using and I'm going to flog it
> on Ebay. It's a Via Apollo KT333 chipset. Has the latest BIOS flash,
> which allows it to support up to XP2700's. My question is this. Does
> this board support Barton XP's? Which ones?

www.soltek.com.tw/

(I can't reach the site at present)

Augustus wrote:
> Got a Soltek SL-75DRV5-C that I'm not using and I'm going to flog it
> on Ebay. It's a Via Apollo KT333 chipset. Has the latest BIOS flash,
> which allows it to support up to XP2700's. My question is this. Does
> this board support Barton XP's? Which ones?

Sort of ... it doesn't have the 1/5 divider, so all CPUs that have a 166MHz
bus or faster will need to have their multiplier changed if you want them to
run at the correct speed.

--
Michael Brown

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 19:39:43 +1200, Michael Brown wrote:

> Augustus wrote:
>> Got a Soltek SL-75DRV5-C that I'm not using and I'm going to flog it
>> on Ebay. It's a Via Apollo KT333 chipset. Has the latest BIOS flash,
>> which allows it to support up to XP2700's. My question is this. Does
>> this board support Barton XP's? Which ones?
>
> Sort of ... it doesn't have the 1/5 divider, so all CPUs that have a 166MHz
> bus or faster will need to have their multiplier changed if you want them to
> run at the correct speed.

I'm not sure what the problem with this board is, but the chipset (KT333)
will support a 166MHz FSB. Perhaps it was just left out of the bios
settings as many KT333 based boards will work with the FSB clocked up to
about 185MHz.

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 19:39:43 +1200, Michael Brown wrote:
>
>> Augustus wrote:
>>> Got a Soltek SL-75DRV5-C that I'm not using and I'm going to flog it
>>> on Ebay. It's a Via Apollo KT333 chipset. Has the latest BIOS flash,
>>> which allows it to support up to XP2700's. My question is this. Does
>>> this board support Barton XP's? Which ones?
>>
>> Sort of ... it doesn't have the 1/5 divider, so all CPUs that have a
>> 166MHz bus or faster will need to have their multiplier changed if
>> you want them to run at the correct speed.
>
> I'm not sure what the problem with this board is, but the chipset
> (KT333) will support a 166MHz FSB.

Ironically, the KT333 chipset does not officially support a 166MHz FSB (but
supports a 166MHz RAM bus), just like the KT400 does not officially support
a 200MHz FSB (but does support a 200MHz RAM bus). However, in the case of
the KT333, the chipset DOES actually support it, provided the motherboard is
designed accordingly. Presumably the Soltek and others that don't have the
1/5 divider were designed prior to knowledge of the unofficial divider, or
just didn't find out about it in time to modify the designs. The Soltek,
being a jumper-based board, probably can't be fixed through the BIOS to
enable the additional divider, though a board modification might get it
working.

--
Michael Brown

TRENDING THREADS