Boot from a External Drive - Possible?

August 9, 2005 12:15:38 AM

Hi,

I was running a three-computer workgroup: Win2kPro, Win2kAS and WinXP-Pro.
I stupidly hosed the latter two machines. I wrecked the XP machine by
making a mistake when trying to use Partition Magic to expanded XP
partition. The AS machine somehow lost NTLDR. All machines have multiple
NT partitions.

I bought an external hard drive with goal of installing an OS on that drive
using my still-working machine, then moving it successively to each of dead
machines in order to recover important data from their hard drives before
trying to reinstall OSs on them.

If that seems workable, I assume I should install Linux on the external
drive because it could read NT partitions. Id rather put XP on the external
drive when attached to my 2K machine, but fear that HAL from the 2K machine
qould be inappropriate when installing the external drive and booting from
it on the other machines.

Does any of this make any sense?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

More about : boot external drive

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:15:39 AM

Windows XP, or any other operating system,
cannot be installed on an external drive.

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Richard Lionheart" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I was running a three-computer workgroup: Win2kPro, Win2kAS and WinXP-Pro.
| I stupidly hosed the latter two machines. I wrecked the XP machine by
| making a mistake when trying to use Partition Magic to expanded XP
| partition. The AS machine somehow lost NTLDR. All machines have multiple
| NT partitions.
|
| I bought an external hard drive with goal of installing an OS on that drive
| using my still-working machine, then moving it successively to each of dead
| machines in order to recover important data from their hard drives before
| trying to reinstall OSs on them.
|
| If that seems workable, I assume I should install Linux on the external
| drive because it could read NT partitions. Id rather put XP on the external
| drive when attached to my 2K machine, but fear that HAL from the 2K machine
| qould be inappropriate when installing the external drive and booting from
| it on the other machines.
|
| Does any of this make any sense?
|
| Thanks in advance,
| Richard
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:58:26 AM

I don't know about Mac OS6.x, it's been so long since I used it but
Macintosh operationg systems from 7.0 to 9.x could all be booted from
external SCSI hard drives. I believe OS10.x can also be booted from
external devices.
August 9, 2005 2:11:01 AM

Carey,

Thank you very much for your response. Did you see the reply to your
response from "pcbutts1" suggesting that I could boot Linux on an external
hard drive? Should I interpret "any other OS" to mean "any other Windows
OS", ro do you think "pcbutts1" is incorrect and I wouldn't have any
success.

I'd like to get a concensus on this before going to all the trouble on this
$150 1.6GB USB-interfaced drive. If my prospects of getting this to work
are dim, I'd rather take the drive back to Radio Shack.

Again, thanks for your response. I appreciate it very much.

Regards,
Richard

> Windows XP, or any other operating system,
> cannot be installed on an external drive.
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "Richard Lionheart" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | I was running a three-computer workgroup: Win2kPro, Win2kAS and
WinXP-Pro.
> | I stupidly hosed the latter two machines. I wrecked the XP machine by
> | making a mistake when trying to use Partition Magic to expanded XP
> | partition. The AS machine somehow lost NTLDR. All machines have
multiple
> | NT partitions.
> |
> | I bought an external hard drive with goal of installing an OS on that
drive
> | using my still-working machine, then moving it successively to each of
dead
> | machines in order to recover important data from their hard drives
before
> | trying to reinstall OSs on them.
> |
> | If that seems workable, I assume I should install Linux on the external
> | drive because it could read NT partitions. Id rather put XP on the
external
> | drive when attached to my 2K machine, but fear that HAL from the 2K
machine
> | qould be inappropriate when installing the external drive and booting
from
> | it on the other machines.
> |
> | Does any of this make any sense?
> |
> | Thanks in advance,
> | Richard

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:31:19 AM

OK guys,

I'm going to try building/booting an external Linux drive. To one and all,
many thanks.

And I'll be back bragging about my success or whining about my failure.

Thanks to the Universe for Newsgroups.

Regards,
Richard
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:49:26 AM

Linux can.

> Windows XP, or any other operating system,
> cannot be installed on an external drive.
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Richard Lionheart" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | I was running a three-computer workgroup: Win2kPro, Win2kAS and
> WinXP-Pro.
> | I stupidly hosed the latter two machines. I wrecked the XP machine by
> | making a mistake when trying to use Partition Magic to expanded XP
> | partition. The AS machine somehow lost NTLDR. All machines have
> multiple
> | NT partitions.
> |
> | I bought an external hard drive with goal of installing an OS on that
> drive
> | using my still-working machine, then moving it successively to each of
> dead
> | machines in order to recover important data from their hard drives
> before
> | trying to reinstall OSs on them.
> |
> | If that seems workable, I assume I should install Linux on the external
> | drive because it could read NT partitions. Id rather put XP on the
> external
> | drive when attached to my 2K machine, but fear that HAL from the 2K
> machine
> | qould be inappropriate when installing the external drive and booting
> from
> | it on the other machines.
> |
> | Does any of this make any sense?
> |
> | Thanks in advance,
> | Richard

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:49:27 AM

No it cannot. Please do not make unsubstantiated claims!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote:

| Linux can.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:14:49 AM

Linux will boot and run from a thumbdrive, cd, external, internal, and
network drive. Because YOU don't know how does not make it wrong.

Booting Linux off of a USB drive.
http://www.simonf.com/usb/

Other links
Knoppix Live Linux CD : http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=44
Red Hat Linux : http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=7
Mandrake Linux : http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29
Fedora Project : http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=64
www.google.com/linux
www.distrowatch.com

> No it cannot. Please do not make unsubstantiated claims!
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote:
>
> | Linux can.

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:14:50 AM

USB booting must be supported by the mobo and BIOS.

some support

http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
| NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
| See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
| Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
|

| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
message
| > No it cannot. Please do not make unsubstantiated
claims!

| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| > Microsoft Newsgroups

| > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote:
| >
| > | Linux can.

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:14:51 AM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the input. My mother boards are all Intel's running Pentium 5,
so my guess (hope?) is they're ok. But I'll check the BIOS setup on the
target machines.

Regards,
Richard

> USB booting must be supported by the mobo and BIOS.

> some support
> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
>

> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> | Linux will boot and run from a thumbdrive, cd, external,
> internal, and
> | network drive. Because YOU don't know how does not make it
> wrong.
> |
> | Booting Linux off of a USB drive.
> | http://www.simonf.com/usb/
> |
> | Other links
> | Knoppix Live Linux CD :
> http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=44
> | Red Hat Linux : http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=7
> | Mandrake Linux : http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29
> | Fedora Project : http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=64
> | www.google.com/linux
> | www.distrowatch.com
> |
> | --
> |

> | The best live web video on the internet
> http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> | NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> | See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> | Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> |

> | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
> message
> | > No it cannot. Please do not make unsubstantiated
> claims!
> | >
> | > --
> | > Carey Frisch
> | > Microsoft MVP
> | > Windows XP - Shell/User
> | > Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:14:52 AM

Where did you get a mobo and proc from the future? There is no such thing
as a Pentium 5.

Bobby

"RLMuller" <NoOne@Nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for the input. My mother boards are all Intel's running Pentium 5,
> so my guess (hope?) is they're ok. But I'll check the BIOS setup on the
> target machines.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> USB booting must be supported by the mobo and BIOS.
>>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>> some support
>> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
>>

>> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
>> | Linux will boot and run from a thumbdrive, cd, external,
>> internal, and
>> | network drive. Because YOU don't know how does not make it
>> wrong.
>> |
>> | Booting Linux off of a USB drive.
>> | http://www.simonf.com/usb/
>> |
>> | Other links
>> | Knoppix Live Linux CD :
>> http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=44
>> | Red Hat Linux : http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=7
>> | Mandrake Linux : http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29
>> | Fedora Project : http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=64
>> | www.google.com/linux
>> | www.distrowatch.com
>> |
>> | --
>> |

>> | The best live web video on the internet
>> http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
>> | NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
>> | See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
>> | Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>> |

>> | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
>> message
>> claims!

> -----------------

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:29:06 AM

What external drive: SATA? Firewire?

--PA

"Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:_f2dnXOwJZZsaGrfRVn-rg@adelphia.com...
> Hi,
>
> I was running a three-computer workgroup: Win2kPro, Win2kAS and WinXP-Pro.
> I stupidly hosed the latter two machines. I wrecked the XP machine by
> making a mistake when trying to use Partition Magic to expanded XP
> partition. The AS machine somehow lost NTLDR. All machines have multiple
> NT partitions.
>
> I bought an external hard drive with goal of installing an OS on that drive
> using my still-working machine, then moving it successively to each of dead
> machines in order to recover important data from their hard drives before
> trying to reinstall OSs on them.
>
> If that seems workable, I assume I should install Linux on the external
> drive because it could read NT partitions. Id rather put XP on the external
> drive when attached to my 2K machine, but fear that HAL from the 2K machine
> qould be inappropriate when installing the external drive and booting from
> it on the other machines.
>
> Does any of this make any sense?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Richard

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:29:07 AM

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for the response. I've got a 160GB USB-interfaced drive with its own
power adapter.

Regards,
Richard

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> What external drive: SATA? Firewire?
>
> --PA
>
> "Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was running a three-computer workgroup: Win2kPro, Win2kAS and
WinXP-Pro.
> > I stupidly hosed the latter two machines. I wrecked the XP machine by
> > making a mistake when trying to use Partition Magic to expanded XP
> > partition. The AS machine somehow lost NTLDR. All machines have
multiple
> > NT partitions.
> >
> > I bought an external hard drive with goal of installing an OS on that
drive
> > using my still-working machine, then moving it successively to each of
dead
> > machines in order to recover important data from their hard drives
before
> > trying to reinstall OSs on them.
> >
> > If that seems workable, I assume I should install Linux on the external
> > drive because it could read NT partitions. Id rather put XP on the
external
> > drive when attached to my 2K machine, but fear that HAL from the 2K
machine
> > qould be inappropriate when installing the external drive and booting
from
> > it on the other machines.
> >
> > Does any of this make any sense?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Richard

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:40:25 AM

> Windows XP, or any other operating system,
> cannot be installed on an external drive.
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

snip

So you can't boot DOS from a floppy, interesting. I and so many others have
been booting DOS from external media since Noah was a lad :) .
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:40:26 AM

Hi Edward,

"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:o 14i5xJnFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> > Windows XP, or any other operating system,
> > cannot be installed on an external drive.

> snip

> So you can't boot DOS from a floppy, interesting. I and so many others
have
> been booting DOS from external media since Noah was a lad :) .

Good point !! Thanks for weighing in.

Regards,
Richard
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 11:02:53 AM

"Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I was running a three-computer workgroup: Win2kPro, Win2kAS and
> WinXP-Pro.
> I stupidly hosed the latter two machines. I wrecked the XP machine by
> making a mistake when trying to use Partition Magic to expanded XP
> partition. The AS machine somehow lost NTLDR. All machines have multiple
> NT partitions.
>
> I bought an external hard drive with goal of installing an OS on that
> drive
> using my still-working machine, then moving it successively to each of
> dead
> machines in order to recover important data from their hard drives before
> trying to reinstall OSs on them.
>
> If that seems workable, I assume I should install Linux on the external
> drive because it could read NT partitions. Id rather put XP on the
> external
> drive when attached to my 2K machine, but fear that HAL from the 2K
> machine
> qould be inappropriate when installing the external drive and booting from
> it on the other machines.
>
> Does any of this make any sense?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Richard

XP can be booted from an external device if the motherboard supports it.
There are very few motherboards that support this. If yours are among them
only the manufacturer of the boards in question can tell you. If you can
change the boot device in the BIOS to USB it may work. More than likely it
will not. I have tried it successfully on an Intel D915GMHL BTX motherboard.
I have not seen it work on any other motherboard.

Kerry
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:18:56 PM

Pardon me...last time I checked this newsgroup was about the Windows XP
operating system.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:o 14i5xJnFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> > Windows XP, or any other operating system,
> > cannot be installed on an external drive.
> >
> > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
> > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> snip
>
> So you can't boot DOS from a floppy, interesting. I and so many others
have
> been booting DOS from external media since Noah was a lad :) .

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:51:31 PM

Hi Bobby,

> Where did you get a mobo and proc from the future? There is no such thing
> as a Pentium 5.

I got it by moving faster than light :-). I just did that from memory. My
oldest machine (which thankfully is still running) says in System
Properties/General:

Computer: x86 Family 6 Mode 7 Stepping. Hell, that sounds like a Pentium
6 :-) Actually, I think its a 550MHz Pentium.

My crashed XP system is a 2GHz Pentium.
My crashed Win2kAS system is maybe a 400 MHz. Pentium.

On the bright side, I got a 160GB external drive with a USB2 interface.
I'll post when I have something to report.

Regards,
Richard
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:56:29 PM

He Ted,

Why are you following this thread if you think the posts here are
inappropriate? Since the title of this NG is ...WindowsXP.Hardware, it's
about HARDWARE used to run XP, not about XP per se. Don't you agree?

Regards,
Richard

> Pardon me...last time I checked this newsgroup was about the Windows XP
> operating system.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o 14i5xJnFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Windows XP, or any other operating system,
> > > cannot be installed on an external drive.
> > >
> > > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
> > > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> > >
> > > --
> > > Carey Frisch
> > > Microsoft MVP
> > > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > > Microsoft Newsgroups
> > >
> > snip
> >
> > So you can't boot DOS from a floppy, interesting. I and so many others
> have
> > been booting DOS from external media since Noah was a lad :) .

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:59:35 PM

Thanks Kerry for perhaps the most positive and helpful post to my question.
I've picked up a 160GB external drive with a USB2 interface. I'll see how
it goes.

Regards,
Richard

> "Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was running a three-computer workgroup: Win2kPro, Win2kAS and
> > WinXP-Pro.
> > I stupidly hosed the latter two machines. I wrecked the XP machine by
> > making a mistake when trying to use Partition Magic to expanded XP
> > partition. The AS machine somehow lost NTLDR. All machines have
multiple
> > NT partitions.
> >
> > I bought an external hard drive with goal of installing an OS on that
> > drive
> > using my still-working machine, then moving it successively to each of
> > dead
> > machines in order to recover important data from their hard drives
before
> > trying to reinstall OSs on them.
> >
> > If that seems workable, I assume I should install Linux on the external
> > drive because it could read NT partitions. Id rather put XP on the
> > external
> > drive when attached to my 2K machine, but fear that HAL from the 2K
> > machine
> > qould be inappropriate when installing the external drive and booting
from
> > it on the other machines.
> >
> > Does any of this make any sense?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Richard
> >

> XP can be booted from an external device if the motherboard supports it.
> There are very few motherboards that support this. If yours are among them
> only the manufacturer of the boards in question can tell you. If you can
> change the boot device in the BIOS to USB it may work. More than likely it
> will not. I have tried it successfully on an Intel D915GMHL BTX
motherboard.
> I have not seen it work on any other motherboard.
>
> Kerry

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:59:36 PM

> Thanks Kerry for perhaps the most positive and helpful post to my
> question.
> I've picked up a 160GB external drive with a USB2 interface. I'll see how
> it goes.
>
> Regards,
> Richard

Your welcome. Hope it works for you. If not then you have a great backup
drive. You could always use BartPe or the Ultimate Boot CD to repair the
partitions and copy files to the USB drive from the corrupted drives. I
think you may have more luck with this method.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Kerry

>> "Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I was running a three-computer workgroup: Win2kPro, Win2kAS and
>> > WinXP-Pro.
>> > I stupidly hosed the latter two machines. I wrecked the XP machine by
>> > making a mistake when trying to use Partition Magic to expanded XP
>> > partition. The AS machine somehow lost NTLDR. All machines have
> multiple
>> > NT partitions.
>> >
>> > I bought an external hard drive with goal of installing an OS on that
>> > drive
>> > using my still-working machine, then moving it successively to each of
>> > dead
>> > machines in order to recover important data from their hard drives
> before
>> > trying to reinstall OSs on them.
>> >
>> > If that seems workable, I assume I should install Linux on the
>> > external
>> > drive because it could read NT partitions. Id rather put XP on the
>> > external
>> > drive when attached to my 2K machine, but fear that HAL from the 2K
>> > machine
>> > qould be inappropriate when installing the external drive and booting
> from
>> > it on the other machines.
>> >
>> > Does any of this make any sense?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Richard
>> >

>> XP can be booted from an external device if the motherboard supports it.
>> There are very few motherboards that support this. If yours are among
>> them
>> only the manufacturer of the boards in question can tell you. If you can
>> change the boot device in the BIOS to USB it may work. More than likely
>> it
>> will not. I have tried it successfully on an Intel D915GMHL BTX
> motherboard.
>> I have not seen it work on any other motherboard.
>>
>> Kerry

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:28:42 AM

Richard,

WinXP can not run off USB drive. Never, ever :(
A setup of WinXP or recovery console can run from a CD,
so you can use it to repair the installed system.

External SATA disk in a box, connected to internal controller,
is actually an internal disk, like SCSI, so it will work.

Good luck,
--PA

"Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:EfSdnQwFNuW-rWXfRVn-sQ@adelphia.com...
> Hi Pavel,
>
> Thanks for the response. I've got a 160GB USB-interfaced drive with its own
> power adapter.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
>> What external drive: SATA? Firewire?
>>
>> --PA
>>
>> "Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I was running a three-computer workgroup: Win2kPro, Win2kAS and
> WinXP-Pro.
>> > I stupidly hosed the latter two machines. I wrecked the XP machine by
>> > making a mistake when trying to use Partition Magic to expanded XP
>> > partition. The AS machine somehow lost NTLDR. All machines have
> multiple
>> > NT partitions.
>> >
>> > I bought an external hard drive with goal of installing an OS on that
> drive
>> > using my still-working machine, then moving it successively to each of
> dead
>> > machines in order to recover important data from their hard drives
> before
>> > trying to reinstall OSs on them.
>> >
>> > If that seems workable, I assume I should install Linux on the external
>> > drive because it could read NT partitions. Id rather put XP on the
> external
>> > drive when attached to my 2K machine, but fear that HAL from the 2K
> machine
>> > qould be inappropriate when installing the external drive and booting
> from
>> > it on the other machines.
>> >
>> > Does any of this make any sense?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Richard

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:28:43 AM

Thanks for the additional info, Pavel.

Based on various comments, I checked to see whether any on my BIOSs would
let me specify booting from a USB port. None would. So even though I
bought the 160GB external drive, I've abandoned that idea. (I'll use it
for off-site backup of key data and software.)

I just ordered a 200GB Maxtor that has both ATA and EIDE interfaces. I've
got a card that matches it for both interfaces and the 133mbps transfer
rate. The only wrinke is the card doesn't support the full 120GB, but I
can switch it to another another drive and use the motherboard for the 200gb
connection (maybe with a bios upgrade).

Anyway, I can get that disk set up with an OS using my Win2000Pro computer,
which thankfully I haven't screwed up. Then I can transfer the disk and
card to each dead computer successively and get them running again without
any loss of data.

I see just one problem: If I install Win2kPro or WinXP-Pro on the Maxtor,
it will include the HAL appropriate to my Win2KPro machine. Will that disk
work correctly on my dead WinXP-Pro and Win2kAS machines.

If not, then I'll install Linux on the Maxtor and create some NT
partitions, copy data from one of the dead machines onto it and then
install the appropriate Windows setup disk on the machine to reinstall
Windows on that machine.

How's that sound?

I hope this diatribe wasn't too long winded for you.

Regards,
Richard

My co

> Richard,
>
> WinXP can not run off USB drive. Never, ever :(
> A setup of WinXP or recovery console can run from a CD,
> so you can use it to repair the installed system.
>
> External SATA disk in a box, connected to internal controller,
> is actually an internal disk, like SCSI, so it will work.
>
> Good luck,
> --PA
>

> "Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Pavel,
> >
> > Thanks for the response. I've got a 160GB USB-interfaced drive with its
own
> > power adapter.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Richard
> >
> > "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> >> What external drive: SATA? Firewire?
> >>
> >> --PA
> >>
> >> "Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> > WinXP-Pro.
> > multiple

> > drive
> > dead
> > before

> > external
> > machine
> > from

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:33:21 PM

My post was a follow on from Carey's post.

There are no 'rules' for what this or any newsgroup can discuss, but if you
want to expose your question to a forum where you are most likely to find
the greatest number of people who are knowledgable on your topic, it
wouldn't be here.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"RLMuller" <NoOne@Nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:p -CdnZ2dnZ1l_deAnZ2dnc7lZ9-dnZ2dRVn-zJ2dnZ0@adelphia.com...
> He Ted,
>
> Why are you following this thread if you think the posts here are
> inappropriate? Since the title of this NG is ...WindowsXP.Hardware, it's
> about HARDWARE used to run XP, not about XP per se. Don't you agree?
>
> Regards,
> Richard

> > Pardon me...last time I checked this newsgroup was about the Windows XP
> > operating system.
> >
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> > "You can do it if you try."
> >
> > "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > news:o 14i5xJnFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > >
> > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

> > > snip
> > >
> > > So you can't boot DOS from a floppy, interesting. I and so many
others
> > have
> > > been booting DOS from external media since Noah was a lad :) .

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:47:17 PM

> Thanks for the additional info, Pavel.
>
> Based on various comments, I checked to see whether any on my BIOSs would
> let me specify booting from a USB port. None would. So even though I
> bought the 160GB external drive, I've abandoned that idea. (I'll use it
> for off-site backup of key data and software.)
>
> I just ordered a 200GB Maxtor that has both ATA and EIDE interfaces. I've
> got a card that matches it for both interfaces and the 133mbps transfer
> rate. The only wrinke is the card doesn't support the full 120GB, but I
> can switch it to another another drive and use the motherboard for the
> 200gb
> connection (maybe with a bios upgrade).
>
> Anyway, I can get that disk set up with an OS using my Win2000Pro
> computer,
> which thankfully I haven't screwed up. Then I can transfer the disk and
> card to each dead computer successively and get them running again without
> any loss of data.
>
> I see just one problem: If I install Win2kPro or WinXP-Pro on the Maxtor,
> it will include the HAL appropriate to my Win2KPro machine. Will that
> disk
> work correctly on my dead WinXP-Pro and Win2kAS machines.
>
> If not, then I'll install Linux on the Maxtor and create some NT
> partitions, copy data from one of the dead machines onto it and then
> install the appropriate Windows setup disk on the machine to reinstall
> Windows on that machine.
>
> How's that sound?
>
> I hope this diatribe wasn't too long winded for you.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
> My co

If you only want to copy some files why not just boot from a CD with the
Ultimate Boot CD, BartPe, Knoppix etc. Any of these could be used to copy
files to a USB drive. This will be much easier than your proposed solution.
Your way unless the motherboards are very similar you will probably have to
do a repair install with each system just to get it to boot.

Kerry

> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
>> Richard,
>>
>> WinXP can not run off USB drive. Never, ever :(
>> A setup of WinXP or recovery console can run from a CD,
>> so you can use it to repair the installed system.
>>
>> External SATA disk in a box, connected to internal controller,
>> is actually an internal disk, like SCSI, so it will work.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> --PA
>>

>> "Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Pavel,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the response. I've got a 160GB USB-interfaced drive with
>> > its
> own
>> > power adapter.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Richard
>> >
>> > "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message

>> > WinXP-Pro.
> by
>> > multiple

>> > drive
> of
>> > dead
>> > before

> external
>> > external
>> > machine
>> > from

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:39:13 PM

A very simple solution is to perform a "repair install" on
the computer that is having problems.

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"RLMuller" wrote:

| Thanks for the additional info, Pavel.
|
| Based on various comments, I checked to see whether any on my BIOSs would
| let me specify booting from a USB port. None would. So even though I
| bought the 160GB external drive, I've abandoned that idea. (I'll use it
| for off-site backup of key data and software.)
|
| I just ordered a 200GB Maxtor that has both ATA and EIDE interfaces. I've
| got a card that matches it for both interfaces and the 133mbps transfer
| rate. The only wrinke is the card doesn't support the full 120GB, but I
| can switch it to another another drive and use the motherboard for the 200gb
| connection (maybe with a bios upgrade).
|
| Anyway, I can get that disk set up with an OS using my Win2000Pro computer,
| which thankfully I haven't screwed up. Then I can transfer the disk and
| card to each dead computer successively and get them running again without
| any loss of data.
|
| I see just one problem: If I install Win2kPro or WinXP-Pro on the Maxtor,
| it will include the HAL appropriate to my Win2KPro machine. Will that disk
| work correctly on my dead WinXP-Pro and Win2kAS machines.
|
| If not, then I'll install Linux on the Maxtor and create some NT
| partitions, copy data from one of the dead machines onto it and then
| install the appropriate Windows setup disk on the machine to reinstall
| Windows on that machine.
|
| How's that sound?
|
| I hope this diatribe wasn't too long winded for you.
|
| Regards,
| Richard
|
| My co
|

| "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
| > Richard,
| >
| > WinXP can not run off USB drive. Never, ever :(
| > A setup of WinXP or recovery console can run from a CD,
| > so you can use it to repair the installed system.
| >
| > External SATA disk in a box, connected to internal controller,
| > is actually an internal disk, like SCSI, so it will work.
| >
| > Good luck,
| > --PA
| >

| > "Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
| > > Hi Pavel,
| > >
| > > Thanks for the response. I've got a 160GB USB-interfaced drive with its
| own
| > > power adapter.
| > >
| > > Regards,
| > > Richard
| > >
| > > "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message

| > > WinXP-Pro.
| by
| > > multiple

| > > drive
| of
| > > dead
| > > before

| external
| > > external
| > > machine
| > > from

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:59:16 AM

Hi Ted,

I'm sorry, I interpreted the comment as flaming.

It seems to me the a discussion about mounting an external drive,
intializing it with WinXP, and trying to boot from it is very much relevant
to this NG. What NGs do you think would elicit a greater response?

BTW, notice that there have been dozens of responses in this thread.

Regards,
Richard Muller

> My post was a follow on from Carey's post.
>
> There are no 'rules' for what this or any newsgroup can discuss, but if
you
> want to expose your question to a forum where you are most likely to find
> the greatest number of people who are knowledgable on your topic, it
> wouldn't be here.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "RLMuller" <NoOne@Nowhere.net> wrote in message
> news:p -CdnZ2dnZ1l_deAnZ2dnc7lZ9-dnZ2dRVn-zJ2dnZ0@adelphia.com...
> > He Ted,
> >
> > Why are you following this thread if you think the posts here are
> > inappropriate? Since the title of this NG is ...WindowsXP.Hardware,
it's
> > about HARDWARE used to run XP, not about XP per se. Don't you agree?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Richard
> >
> > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Pardon me...last time I checked this newsgroup was about the Windows
XP
> > > operating system.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ted Zieglar
> > > "You can do it if you try."
> > >
> > > "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o 14i5xJnFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> others
> > > have

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:16:28 AM

Hi Carey,

Thanks for responding again. I looked briefly at the "repair install" site,
but it looks to me that I need to be able to boot with my WinXP-Pro CD on my
dead machine. The BIOS Boot Sequence is set to Removble/CDROM/HardDrive.
The floppy drive is empty. The primary CDROM drive has my CD in it (and
I've booted from it in the past when I had an OS running on the machine.)

After I click F10 in BIOS Setup I get the Intel graphic and then a blank
black screen for a minute until "Boot Failure: System Halted" in white
letters appears.

So it looks like I can't implement that approach. Do you agree?

Regards,
Richad

> A very simple solution is to perform a "repair install" on
> the computer that is having problems.
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "RLMuller" wrote:
>
> | Thanks for the additional info, Pavel.
> |
> | Based on various comments, I checked to see whether any on my BIOSs
would
> | let me specify booting from a USB port. None would. So even though I
> | bought the 160GB external drive, I've abandoned that idea. (I'll use
it
> | for off-site backup of key data and software.)
> |
> | I just ordered a 200GB Maxtor that has both ATA and EIDE interfaces.
I've
> | got a card that matches it for both interfaces and the 133mbps transfer
> | rate. The only wrinke is the card doesn't support the full 120GB, but
> | can switch it to another another drive and use the motherboard for the
200gb
> | connection (maybe with a bios upgrade).
> |
> | Anyway, I can get that disk set up with an OS using my Win2000Pro
computer,
> | which thankfully I haven't screwed up. Then I can transfer the disk
and
> | card to each dead computer successively and get them running again
without
> | any loss of data.
> |
> | I see just one problem: If I install Win2kPro or WinXP-Pro on the
Maxtor,
> | it will include the HAL appropriate to my Win2KPro machine. Will that
disk
> | work correctly on my dead WinXP-Pro and Win2kAS machines.
> |
> | If not, then I'll install Linux on the Maxtor and create some NT
> | partitions, copy data from one of the dead machines onto it and then
> | install the appropriate Windows setup disk on the machine to reinstall
> | Windows on that machine.
> |
> | How's that sound?
> |
> | I hope this diatribe wasn't too long winded for you.
> |
> | Regards,
> | Richard
> |
> | My co
> |

> | "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> | > Richard,
> | >
> | > WinXP can not run off USB drive. Never, ever :(
> | > A setup of WinXP or recovery console can run from a CD,
> | > so you can use it to repair the installed system.
> | >
> | > External SATA disk in a box, connected to internal controller,
> | > is actually an internal disk, like SCSI, so it will work.
> | >
> | > Good luck,
> | > --PA
> | >

> | > "Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> | own

> | by
XP

> | of

> | external

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:32:44 AM

Hi Carey,

I've got just two questions:
1. It looks to me like I can burn the slipstream disk with the WinXP-Pro
and SP2forXP CDs' content on my Win2kProSP4 machine, i.e. there'll be no XP
stuff trying to interfere with my Win2kProSP4 OS.

2. After burning that CD, is there any hope that it will boot, given that
my current WinXP-Pro CD won't boot?

If you think this'll work, I'm off to the races!!

Regards,
Richard

> A very simple solution is to perform a "repair install" on
> the computer that is having problems.
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "RLMuller" wrote:
>
> | Thanks for the additional info, Pavel.
> |
> | Based on various comments, I checked to see whether any on my BIOSs
would
> | let me specify booting from a USB port. None would. So even though I
> | bought the 160GB external drive, I've abandoned that idea. (I'll use
it
> | for off-site backup of key data and software.)
> |
> | I just ordered a 200GB Maxtor that has both ATA and EIDE interfaces.
I've
> | got a card that matches it for both interfaces and the 133mbps transfer
> | rate. The only wrinke is the card doesn't support the full 120GB, but
> | can switch it to another another drive and use the motherboard for the
200gb
> | connection (maybe with a bios upgrade).
> |
> | Anyway, I can get that disk set up with an OS using my Win2000Pro
computer,
> | which thankfully I haven't screwed up. Then I can transfer the disk
and
> | card to each dead computer successively and get them running again
without
> | any loss of data.
> |
> | I see just one problem: If I install Win2kPro or WinXP-Pro on the
Maxtor,
> | it will include the HAL appropriate to my Win2KPro machine. Will that
disk
> | work correctly on my dead WinXP-Pro and Win2kAS machines.
> |
> | If not, then I'll install Linux on the Maxtor and create some NT
> | partitions, copy data from one of the dead machines onto it and then
> | install the appropriate Windows setup disk on the machine to reinstall
> | Windows on that machine.
> |
> | How's that sound?
> |
> | I hope this diatribe wasn't too long winded for you.
> |
> | Regards,
> | Richard
> |
> | My co
> |

> | "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> | > Richard,
> | >
> | > WinXP can not run off USB drive. Never, ever :(
> | > A setup of WinXP or recovery console can run from a CD,
> | > so you can use it to repair the installed system.
> | >
> | > External SATA disk in a box, connected to internal controller,
> | > is actually an internal disk, like SCSI, so it will work.
> | >
> | > Good luck,
> | > --PA
> | >

> | > "Richard Lionheart" <NoOne@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> | own

> | by
XP

> | of

> | external

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:57:05 AM

Hey Carey and PC,

I thought because the disk started up whenever I installed on a working
Windows system, it was bootable. I just looked at the disk in Windows
Explorer and recalled that it's the autorun.inf that a running system looks
for but there no executable image on the disk.

Considering I'm a retired software developer, it's pretty sad that I didn't
realize that a long time ago.

Thank you, guys, for persisting in getting me on the right track despite my
stubborn ignorance.

I'll follow the "...Create a bootable CD" guidance.

Regards,
Richard
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:46:29 AM

Hi,

Just curious why you don't take an easier route to getting your files
back, like installing your old drives as slaves?

---==X={}=X==---

Jim Self
AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
http://avanimation.avsupport.com

Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
Technical Counselor
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:39:55 AM

If your cd is not bootable then it will not work. Follow the instructions
here for creating one.
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-boot...

> [...]
>> | which thankfully I haven't screwed up. Then I can transfer the disk
> and
>> | card to each dead computer successively and get them running again
> without
>> | any loss of data.
>> |
>> | I see just one problem: If I install Win2kPro or WinXP-Pro on the
> Maxtor,
>> | it will include the HAL appropriate to my Win2KPro machine. Will that
> disk
>> | work correctly on my dead WinXP-Pro and Win2kAS machines.
>> |
>> | If not, then I'll install Linux on the Maxtor and create some NT
>> | partitions, copy data from one of the dead machines onto it and then
>> | install the appropriate Windows setup disk on the machine to reinstall
>> | Windows on that machine.
>> |
>> | How's that sound?
>> |
>> | I hope this diatribe wasn't too long winded for you.

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:11:08 PM

Hi Jim,

I thought having a bootable external drive would be the neatest solution in
the long term. I thought anytime a system crashed in the future, I'd have
a painless solution at recovery.

I just bought a 200GB internal hard drive and a controller card for it which
I'll use shorty on both dead systems, just as you suggest. (I don't think
I'll even have to change the jumpers on the two existing hard drives.)

Regards,
Richard

news:o dG1a8unFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!