Dual Channel Memory on Single Channel boards?

If I buy memory in a dual channel pack (2x512MB) it will still work
alright in a single channel board right? The memory is:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-985&depa=1

And my motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum

Thanks a bunch,

Rich
24 answers Last reply
More about dual channel memory single channel boards

    "Rich Lowe" <xodin@laww.biz> wrote in message
    > If I buy memory in a dual channel pack (2x512MB) it will still work
    > alright in a single channel board right? The memory is:
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.
    asp?description=20-146-985&depa=1

    > And my motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    >
    > Rich

    yes
    and if you buy 2 sticks of the same memory it will probably work fine in
    dual channel boards
    It looks to me like newegg is doing this to force users to buy the dual pack
    just to get the 512m boards..

    (is this ram not overkill for that board?)

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 00:46:54 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:

    > If I buy memory in a dual channel pack (2x512MB) it will still work
    > alright in a single channel board right? The memory is:

    Of course. It's just 2 sticks of 512M ram. There's no such thing as dual
    channel ram.

    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-985&depa=1
    >
    > And my motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum

    No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
    PC3700ram.

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:53:03 GMT, Wes Newell
    <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

    >On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 00:46:54 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:
    >
    >> If I buy memory in a dual channel pack (2x512MB) it will still work
    >> alright in a single channel board right? The memory is:
    >>
    >Of course. It's just 2 sticks of 512M ram. There's no such thing as dual
    >channel ram.
    >
    >> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-985&depa=1
    >>
    >> And my motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    >>
    >No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
    >PC3700ram.

    Actually, ram other than generic PC3200 is quite expensive these days.

    I bought some PC4000 ram last april for $125 and it's $173 now, per
    512M stick.

    As I understand it, that Nforce3 250 motherboard can be overclocked
    with the hypertransit bus cranked WAY up, so generic PC3200 isn't
    going to do it for you.

    I wouldn't get the matched dual pack though, esp since the motherboard
    is socket 754 and single channel.

    > yes
    > and if you buy 2 sticks of the same memory it will probably work fine in
    > dual channel boards
    > It looks to me like newegg is doing this to force users to buy the dual pack
    > just to get the 512m boards..
    >
    > (is this ram not overkill for that board?)

    It may be, I am trying to find good memory that will work well so that
    I can overclock my K8N Neo at a decent speed with a 1:1 ratio for the
    memory. At the same time I don't want to sacrifice a large amount of
    performance, but I also don't want to pay a much larger price for a
    little performance improvement. Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Rich

    > No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
    > PC3700ram.

    Could you give me other suggestions that have good performance for a
    better price? As I wrote in the other reply, I am looking for a 1:1
    ratio while still having a good overclock speed, preferably 233 or 250
    MHz. Though I could use suggestions on that too, this is my first
    home-built PC and also my first overclock...

    Thanks a ton,

    Rich

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 05:56:17 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:

    >> No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
    >> PC3700ram.
    >
    > Could you give me other suggestions that have good performance for a
    > better price? As I wrote in the other reply, I am looking for a 1:1
    > ratio while still having a good overclock speed, preferably 233 or 250
    > MHz. Though I could use suggestions on that too, this is my first
    > home-built PC and also my first overclock...

    I always buy as fast as possible, but cheap. For my A64 I'm using some old
    PC3700 ram I had in my XP system. If I was buying for it today, I'd
    probably get cheap PC4x00 ram. Maybe the cheapest one here and not
    expecting more than PC3700 speeds (233MHz). They sure try to scare you aay
    from the cheap ones though.

    http://www.1stchoicememory.com/page103.html

    Or maybe this one.

    http://www.dvcentury.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=88-533-1024&Category_Code=PC4200

    I'd start at picewatch.com

    > > No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
    > > PC3700ram.
    >
    > Could you give me other suggestions that have good performance for a
    > better price? As I wrote in the other reply, I am looking for a 1:1
    > ratio while still having a good overclock speed, preferably 233 or 250
    > MHz. Though I could use suggestions on that too, this is my first
    > home-built PC and also my first overclock...
    >
    > Thanks a ton,
    >
    > Rich
    I could.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-008&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-011&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-009&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-012&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-010&depa=0

    This is good ram.
    I have two sticks of PC2700 (DDR266) in my P4.
    Hm, by CPU-Z It's running @ 220.5
    By Sandra Memory Bandwidth Benchmark
    2x 220MHz (440MHz data rate)

    I have (All Components Memory) in my Athlon XP 2200 @ 2400 running more like
    3000+
    @ 2.18
    2x 168MHz (336MHz data rate)
    Timings.
    Note, 168 is also my fsb, but ppl that knows amd, they might know this.
    2.5,2,2,5 I've had it set @ 2.5,2,2,4
    I've ran it faster then this too, up around 180 or so.
    I don't remember.

    Denny. ;-)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Ok guys, here is where I'm at so far. Right now I am looking at
    DDR500 unless you think I can go to DDR533 or higher with just air
    cooling. I don't really want to buy cheap value memory, I'd at least
    like reasonable CAS timings and pretty good performance, but at the
    same time the memory doesn't really need to perform beyond its specs
    very much since I plan on running it at a 1:1 ratio. I definitely
    want a brand name with posted CAS timings. Here are two that I am
    possibly looking at..

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-932&depa=1

    and

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85017

    One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
    I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
    300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
    At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
    side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
    http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Rich
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
    I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
    300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
    At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
    side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
    http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )
    ---------------------

    Your CPU will never even get close to 300FSB,with air cooling your looking at
    250 mabey 260................ I would go for 3500 ram it i will run CAS 2.0
    which is what ATHLON 64 CPU's like for best performance. Anything over 3500 and
    you most likelu wont be able to run less tha CAS 2.5,4000ram and you looking at
    CAS 3.0 or higher.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=140231&Category_Code=Unbuffered_OCZ

    > Rich

    Ah, Rich. The ram I pointed you to may be cheap, but few people have
    given bad reviews on it.
    Of course, if you feel you must spend so much just to get high end ram, then
    do it.
    My point is, you don't have to. There's no need for memory that costs that
    much.

    If I ever get the money together, I might build a FX53 or FX51.
    I'm trying to get the money/credit together to do it.
    And what for ram am I going to use, of course.. More Kingmax.

    Denny. ;-)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On 6 Aug 2004 03:27:20 -0700, xodin@laww.biz (Rich Lowe) wrote:

    >Ok guys, here is where I'm at so far. Right now I am looking at
    >DDR500 unless you think I can go to DDR533 or higher with just air
    >cooling. I don't really want to buy cheap value memory, I'd at least
    >like reasonable CAS timings and pretty good performance, but at the
    >same time the memory doesn't really need to perform beyond its specs
    >very much since I plan on running it at a 1:1 ratio. I definitely
    >want a brand name with posted CAS timings. Here are two that I am
    >possibly looking at..
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-932&depa=1
    >
    >and
    >
    >http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85017
    >
    >One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
    > I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
    >300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
    > At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
    >side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
    >http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )
    >
    >Any thoughts?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Rich

    I like the ram.

    use this one on your cpu:

    http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cpu-tri-12.html

    120mm fan is the way to go. effective. quiet.

    Will cool your new ram too.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On 06 Aug 2004 12:35:21 GMT, courseyauto@aol.com (Courseyauto) wrote:

    >One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
    > I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
    >300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
    > At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
    >side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
    >http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )
    >---------------------
    >
    > Your CPU will never even get close to 300FSB,with air cooling your looking at
    >250 mabey 260................ I would go for 3500 ram it i will run CAS 2.0
    >which is what ATHLON 64 CPU's like for best performance. Anything over 3500 and
    >you most likelu wont be able to run less tha CAS 2.5,4000ram and you looking at
    >CAS 3.0 or higher.

    The trend is to drop the cpu multiplier in order to get a higher
    hypertransit bus speed for the same peak cpu speed.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > Your CPU will never even get close to 300FSB,with air cooling your looking
    at
    >250 mabey 260................ I would go for 3500 ram it i will run CAS 2.0
    >which is what ATHLON 64 CPU's like for best performance. Anything over 3500
    and
    >you most likelu wont be able to run less tha CAS 2.5,4000ram and you looking
    at
    >CAS 3.0 or higher.

    <The trend is to drop the cpu multiplier in order to get a higher
    <hypertransit bus speed for the same peak cpu speed.

    From what ive seen,even lowering the multplier they only run in the 260 range.
    only the 939 pin Athlon 64 CPu's have the higher 1 gig hypertransport buss,all
    the others are 800mhz. Unless you just want to see how high you can overclock
    it, the system will perform better with lower CAS rated ram and a moderate FSB
    setting. Corsair Extra low Latency 3200 ram is execellant and will overclock
    to 450 with low Latency settings but is expensive. DOUG
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > From what ive seen,even lowering the multplier they only run in the 260 range.

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2036&p=6

    They say that they easily hit the max, and think the bios limit should
    be raised. Also they were able to run DDR540 at 1:1. I only plan to
    do it to 250 though, because of cooling requirements and cost.

    I guess one reason I am having trouble is I was trying to stick with a
    1:1 ratio. Do you lose any performance by overclocking the memory
    too? I know that your timings get a bit worse, but is it better to
    buy PC3500 with low timings and overclock it to PC4000? I think that
    is what was said in one of the other posts.

    Thank you all for your help.

    Rich
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > Ah, Rich. The ram I pointed you to may be cheap, but few people have
    > given bad reviews on it.
    > Of course, if you feel you must spend so much just to get high end ram, then
    > do it.
    > My point is, you don't have to. There's no need for memory that costs that
    > much.
    >
    > If I ever get the money together, I might build a FX53 or FX51.
    > I'm trying to get the money/credit together to do it.
    > And what for ram am I going to use, of course.. More Kingmax.
    >
    > Denny. ;-)

    Believe me, I haven't counted it out yet. I wish it had rated timings
    though, I saw the second one had 2.5+ as its timings, and that doesn't
    tell me much :) If I were to get them, and I wanted to run the memory
    at DDR500, would you buy the DDR500 or buy lower and change the ratio?

    Thanks a bunch,

    Rich
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Also, is 1GB what I should be looking at here, or should I get 512MB?
    I will be doing a bit of graphics intensive gaming, but not a whole
    lot. Movie encoding once in a while, etc.

    Thanks,

    Rich
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    OK, I think I have finally found it, it's still kind of expensive but
    it is really good memory. Crucial Ballistix PC3200, CAS 2 @ DDR400
    and 2.5-2-2 @ DDR500

    http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2145&p=9

    http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=BL6464Z402

    Any thoughts?

    Rich
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    >OK, I think I have finally found it, it's still kind of expensive but
    >it is really good memory. Crucial Ballistix PC3200, CAS 2 @ DDR400
    >and 2.5-2-2 @ DDR500

    I'll stick with the KINGMAX PC3500
    for $85 a stick at Newegg, thanks.

    Ski
    "The only way to find out how far is too far...
    is to go there"
    (remove spleen to e-mail)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > From what ive seen,even lowering the multplier they only run in the 260
    range.

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2036&p=6

    They say that they easily hit the max, and think the bios limit should
    be raised. Also they were able to run DDR540 at 1:1. I only plan to
    do it to 250 though, because of cooling requirements and cost.

    I guess one reason I am having trouble is I was trying to stick with a
    1:1 ratio. Do you lose any performance by overclocking the memory
    too? I know that your timings get a bit worse, but is it better to
    buy PC3500 with low timings and overclock it to PC4000? I think that
    is what was said in one of the other posts.

    Thank you all for your help.

    Rich

    -------------------------
    They used a lower speed 3200 CPU which will usually overclock more than the
    higher speed versions like the 3500 to 3800 and FX models.
    The highest stable FSB was in the 240 range. You have to be careful with
    the ATHLON 64 CPU's because the memory controller is built into the CPU and
    increasing the memory controller voltage can cause the CPU to fail if you get
    to high with the settings. Ideally you would want the Hypertransport as high as
    you can run it,in the case of the 939 pin versions its 5X. For maximum
    performance you want to use the 1:1 memory ratio,if you plan on running it at
    250 FSB you would not want to overclock the memory over its rating it becomes
    unstable and causes the system to reboot and all sorts of weird problems.
    Invest in good quality memory it is one of the most important part of the
    system. I have a Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 board and i am waiting for the CPU's to
    drop a little more-due in late AUGUST,to buy one. They are suppose to have a
    new 939 pin model with a higher 1mb cache that will be a little more affordable
    than the FX models, i was looking at the 939-3500 but will wait and see what
    the new one will cost. I already have some CORSAIR and KINGSTON HYPER X memory
    to try,my other choice would be the EXTRA LOW LATENCY 3200 that CORSAIR has.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > Also, is 1GB what I should be looking at here, or should I get 512MB?
    > I will be doing a bit of graphics intensive gaming, but not a whole
    > lot. Movie encoding once in a while, etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rich

    512 would be good for games, & 1 Gb and more is good for photos and stuff.
    If you scan a lot of stuff, it takes memory faster.
    Do high res. it takes memory even faster, if your going to do a lot with
    photos,
    get rid of MS Windows of all types.
    For better gaming with games with a 512MB mark, a little over is good.
    But too far is always good too.

    It won't help you much with video encode without dual channel mode.

    Denny. ;-)
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Thanks Denny, that was very helpful :)

    > 512 would be good for games, & 1 Gb and more is good for photos and stuff.
    > If you scan a lot of stuff, it takes memory faster.
    > Do high res. it takes memory even faster, if your going to do a lot with
    > photos,
    > get rid of MS Windows of all types.
    > For better gaming with games with a 512MB mark, a little over is good.
    > But too far is always good too.
    >
    > It won't help you much with video encode without dual channel mode.
    >
    > Denny. ;-)
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    RICH PACIFIC INC. DBA DVCENTURY.COM, D.V. Century, D V Century
    http://tinyurl.com/5ob9n

    THIS COMPANY MAY BE INVESTIGATED ON MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS OF FRAUD.
    FEDERAL MAIL FRAUD, CALIFORNIA CONSUMER FRAUD, ETC.

    IF YOU HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF THIS COMPANY'S FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY,

    Please File CALIFORNIA ATTORNEY GENERAL COMPLAINT:
    http://caag.state.ca.us/consumers/mailform.htm

    Please File FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION COMPLAINT:
    https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

    DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE BASED OUTSIDE THE
    USA AND YOU RISK LOSING ALL AUTHORIZED CHARGES TO THEM. COMPANY WILL
    NOT ISSUE YOU A REFUND FOR ANY REASON.

    EXPERIENCE
    1. SELL YOU A PRODUCT THEY DON'T EVEN CARRY
    2. CHARGE YOU 15% RESTOCKING FEE, EVEN THOUGH YOU NEVER RECEIVED
    ORDERED PRODUCT
    3. CLAIM TO ISSUE YOU A REFUND, THEN TELL YOU TO DO CHARGEBACK W/CREDIT
    CARD COMPANY (INTERPRETATION: THEY WILL NEVER ISSUE YOU A REFUND)
    4. CHARGE YOU $25-50 FEE FOR CC CHARGEBACK (SEE COMPANY POLICIES!!!)
    5. OVER 2 MONTHS, STILL NO PRODUCT, STILL NO REFUND

    --
    aslezak
    aslezak's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=353

    <Snip>
    I think I'll just keep using newegg.com when I want parts.
    But some I get from a local computer shop.
    Denny. ;-)

AMD Dual Channel Single Channel Memory Overclocking