Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dual Channel Memory on Single Channel boards?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2004 4:46:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

If I buy memory in a dual channel pack (2x512MB) it will still work
alright in a single channel board right? The memory is:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

And my motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum

Thanks a bunch,

Rich
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2004 1:01:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Rich Lowe" <xodin@laww.biz> wrote in message
news:16920108.0408032346.1a2378a9@posting.google.com...
> If I buy memory in a dual channel pack (2x512MB) it will still work
> alright in a single channel board right? The memory is:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.
asp?description=20-146-985&depa=1
>
> And my motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum
>
> Thanks a bunch,
>
> Rich

yes
and if you buy 2 sticks of the same memory it will probably work fine in
dual channel boards
It looks to me like newegg is doing this to force users to buy the dual pack
just to get the 512m boards..

(is this ram not overkill for that board?)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2004 8:53:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 00:46:54 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:

> If I buy memory in a dual channel pack (2x512MB) it will still work
> alright in a single channel board right? The memory is:
>
Of course. It's just 2 sticks of 512M ram. There's no such thing as dual
channel ram.

> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
> And my motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum
>
No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
PC3700ram.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 5, 2004 9:44:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:53:03 GMT, Wes Newell
<w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 00:46:54 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:
>
>> If I buy memory in a dual channel pack (2x512MB) it will still work
>> alright in a single channel board right? The memory is:
>>
>Of course. It's just 2 sticks of 512M ram. There's no such thing as dual
>channel ram.
>
>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>>
>> And my motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo Platinum
>>
>No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
>PC3700ram.



Actually, ram other than generic PC3200 is quite expensive these days.

I bought some PC4000 ram last april for $125 and it's $173 now, per
512M stick.

As I understand it, that Nforce3 250 motherboard can be overclocked
with the hypertransit bus cranked WAY up, so generic PC3200 isn't
going to do it for you.

I wouldn't get the matched dual pack though, esp since the motherboard
is socket 754 and single channel.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 5, 2004 9:54:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> yes
> and if you buy 2 sticks of the same memory it will probably work fine in
> dual channel boards
> It looks to me like newegg is doing this to force users to buy the dual pack
> just to get the 512m boards..
>
> (is this ram not overkill for that board?)

It may be, I am trying to find good memory that will work well so that
I can overclock my K8N Neo at a decent speed with a 1:1 ratio for the
memory. At the same time I don't want to sacrifice a large amount of
performance, but I also don't want to pay a much larger price for a
little performance improvement. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rich
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 5, 2004 9:56:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
> PC3700ram.

Could you give me other suggestions that have good performance for a
better price? As I wrote in the other reply, I am looking for a 1:1
ratio while still having a good overclock speed, preferably 233 or 250
MHz. Though I could use suggestions on that too, this is my first
home-built PC and also my first overclock...

Thanks a ton,

Rich
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 5, 2004 11:35:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 05:56:17 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:

>> No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
>> PC3700ram.
>
> Could you give me other suggestions that have good performance for a
> better price? As I wrote in the other reply, I am looking for a 1:1
> ratio while still having a good overclock speed, preferably 233 or 250
> MHz. Though I could use suggestions on that too, this is my first
> home-built PC and also my first overclock...
>
I always buy as fast as possible, but cheap. For my A64 I'm using some old
PC3700 ram I had in my XP system. If I was buying for it today, I'd
probably get cheap PC4x00 ram. Maybe the cheapest one here and not
expecting more than PC3700 speeds (233MHz). They sure try to scare you aay
from the cheap ones though.

http://www.1stchoicememory.com/page103.html

Or maybe this one.

http://www.dvcentury.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=P...

I'd start at picewatch.com

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2004 4:36:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Rich Lowe" <xodin@laww.biz> wrote in message
news:16920108.0408050456.77a4466b@posting.google.com...
> > No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
> > PC3700ram.
>
> Could you give me other suggestions that have good performance for a
> better price? As I wrote in the other reply, I am looking for a 1:1
> ratio while still having a good overclock speed, preferably 233 or 250
> MHz. Though I could use suggestions on that too, this is my first
> home-built PC and also my first overclock...
>
> Thanks a ton,
>
> Rich
I could.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

This is good ram.
I have two sticks of PC2700 (DDR266) in my P4.
Hm, by CPU-Z It's running @ 220.5
By Sandra Memory Bandwidth Benchmark
2x 220MHz (440MHz data rate)

I have (All Components Memory) in my Athlon XP 2200 @ 2400 running more like
3000+
@ 2.18
2x 168MHz (336MHz data rate)
Timings.
Note, 168 is also my fsb, but ppl that knows amd, they might know this.
2.5,2,2,5 I've had it set @ 2.5,2,2,4
I've ran it faster then this too, up around 180 or so.
I don't remember.

Denny. ;-)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2004 7:27:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Ok guys, here is where I'm at so far. Right now I am looking at
DDR500 unless you think I can go to DDR533 or higher with just air
cooling. I don't really want to buy cheap value memory, I'd at least
like reasonable CAS timings and pretty good performance, but at the
same time the memory doesn't really need to perform beyond its specs
very much since I plan on running it at a 1:1 ratio. I definitely
want a brand name with posted CAS timings. Here are two that I am
possibly looking at..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

and

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2004 4:35:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------

Your CPU will never even get close to 300FSB,with air cooling your looking at
250 mabey 260................ I would go for 3500 ram it i will run CAS 2.0
which is what ATHLON 64 CPU's like for best performance. Anything over 3500 and
you most likelu wont be able to run less tha CAS 2.5,4000ram and you looking at
CAS 3.0 or higher.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2004 6:24:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Rich Lowe" <xodin@laww.biz> wrote in message
news:16920108.0408060235.a382080@posting.google.com...
> Scratch the
>
>
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
> and replace it with
>
>
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Sc...
>
> Rich


Ah, Rich. The ram I pointed you to may be cheap, but few people have
given bad reviews on it.
Of course, if you feel you must spend so much just to get high end ram, then
do it.
My point is, you don't have to. There's no need for memory that costs that
much.

If I ever get the money together, I might build a FX53 or FX51.
I'm trying to get the money/credit together to do it.
And what for ram am I going to use, of course.. More Kingmax.

Denny. ;-)
August 6, 2004 6:44:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On 6 Aug 2004 03:27:20 -0700, xodin@laww.biz (Rich Lowe) wrote:

>Ok guys, here is where I'm at so far. Right now I am looking at
>DDR500 unless you think I can go to DDR533 or higher with just air
>cooling. I don't really want to buy cheap value memory, I'd at least
>like reasonable CAS timings and pretty good performance, but at the
>same time the memory doesn't really need to perform beyond its specs
>very much since I plan on running it at a 1:1 ratio. I definitely
>want a brand name with posted CAS timings. Here are two that I am
>possibly looking at..
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
>and
>
>http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>
>One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
> I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
>300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
> At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
>side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
>http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rich


I like the ram.


use this one on your cpu:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cpu-tri-12.h...

120mm fan is the way to go. effective. quiet.

Will cool your new ram too.
August 6, 2004 6:48:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On 06 Aug 2004 12:35:21 GMT, courseyauto@aol.com (Courseyauto) wrote:

>One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
> I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
>300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
> At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
>side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
>http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>---------------------
>
> Your CPU will never even get close to 300FSB,with air cooling your looking at
>250 mabey 260................ I would go for 3500 ram it i will run CAS 2.0
>which is what ATHLON 64 CPU's like for best performance. Anything over 3500 and
>you most likelu wont be able to run less tha CAS 2.5,4000ram and you looking at
>CAS 3.0 or higher.


The trend is to drop the cpu multiplier in order to get a higher
hypertransit bus speed for the same peak cpu speed.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2004 2:15:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> Your CPU will never even get close to 300FSB,with air cooling your looking
at
>250 mabey 260................ I would go for 3500 ram it i will run CAS 2.0
>which is what ATHLON 64 CPU's like for best performance. Anything over 3500
and
>you most likelu wont be able to run less tha CAS 2.5,4000ram and you looking
at
>CAS 3.0 or higher.


<The trend is to drop the cpu multiplier in order to get a higher
<hypertransit bus speed for the same peak cpu speed.

From what ive seen,even lowering the multplier they only run in the 260 range.
only the 939 pin Athlon 64 CPu's have the higher 1 gig hypertransport buss,all
the others are 800mhz. Unless you just want to see how high you can overclock
it, the system will perform better with lower CAS rated ram and a moderate FSB
setting. Corsair Extra low Latency 3200 ram is execellant and will overclock
to 450 with low Latency settings but is expensive. DOUG
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2004 6:37:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> From what ive seen,even lowering the multplier they only run in the 260 range.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2036&p=6

They say that they easily hit the max, and think the bios limit should
be raised. Also they were able to run DDR540 at 1:1. I only plan to
do it to 250 though, because of cooling requirements and cost.

I guess one reason I am having trouble is I was trying to stick with a
1:1 ratio. Do you lose any performance by overclocking the memory
too? I know that your timings get a bit worse, but is it better to
buy PC3500 with low timings and overclock it to PC4000? I think that
is what was said in one of the other posts.

Thank you all for your help.

Rich
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2004 6:48:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> Ah, Rich. The ram I pointed you to may be cheap, but few people have
> given bad reviews on it.
> Of course, if you feel you must spend so much just to get high end ram, then
> do it.
> My point is, you don't have to. There's no need for memory that costs that
> much.
>
> If I ever get the money together, I might build a FX53 or FX51.
> I'm trying to get the money/credit together to do it.
> And what for ram am I going to use, of course.. More Kingmax.
>
> Denny. ;-)

Believe me, I haven't counted it out yet. I wish it had rated timings
though, I saw the second one had 2.5+ as its timings, and that doesn't
tell me much :)  If I were to get them, and I wanted to run the memory
at DDR500, would you buy the DDR500 or buy lower and change the ratio?

Thanks a bunch,

Rich
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2004 7:02:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Also, is 1GB what I should be looking at here, or should I get 512MB?
I will be doing a bit of graphics intensive gaming, but not a whole
lot. Movie encoding once in a while, etc.

Thanks,

Rich
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2004 4:27:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

>OK, I think I have finally found it, it's still kind of expensive but
>it is really good memory. Crucial Ballistix PC3200, CAS 2 @ DDR400
>and 2.5-2-2 @ DDR500

I'll stick with the KINGMAX PC3500
for $85 a stick at Newegg, thanks.


Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2004 4:36:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> From what ive seen,even lowering the multplier they only run in the 260
range.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2036&p=6

They say that they easily hit the max, and think the bios limit should
be raised. Also they were able to run DDR540 at 1:1. I only plan to
do it to 250 though, because of cooling requirements and cost.

I guess one reason I am having trouble is I was trying to stick with a
1:1 ratio. Do you lose any performance by overclocking the memory
too? I know that your timings get a bit worse, but is it better to
buy PC3500 with low timings and overclock it to PC4000? I think that
is what was said in one of the other posts.

Thank you all for your help.

Rich

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------
They used a lower speed 3200 CPU which will usually overclock more than the
higher speed versions like the 3500 to 3800 and FX models.
The highest stable FSB was in the 240 range. You have to be careful with
the ATHLON 64 CPU's because the memory controller is built into the CPU and
increasing the memory controller voltage can cause the CPU to fail if you get
to high with the settings. Ideally you would want the Hypertransport as high as
you can run it,in the case of the 939 pin versions its 5X. For maximum
performance you want to use the 1:1 memory ratio,if you plan on running it at
250 FSB you would not want to overclock the memory over its rating it becomes
unstable and causes the system to reboot and all sorts of weird problems.
Invest in good quality memory it is one of the most important part of the
system. I have a Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 board and i am waiting for the CPU's to
drop a little more-due in late AUGUST,to buy one. They are suppose to have a
new 939 pin model with a higher 1mb cache that will be a little more affordable
than the FX models, i was looking at the 939-3500 but will wait and see what
the new one will cost. I already have some CORSAIR and KINGSTON HYPER X memory
to try,my other choice would be the EXTRA LOW LATENCY 3200 that CORSAIR has.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2004 11:23:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Rich Lowe" <xodin@laww.biz> wrote in message
news:16920108.0408070202.10f7e978@posting.google.com...
> Also, is 1GB what I should be looking at here, or should I get 512MB?
> I will be doing a bit of graphics intensive gaming, but not a whole
> lot. Movie encoding once in a while, etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

512 would be good for games, & 1 Gb and more is good for photos and stuff.
If you scan a lot of stuff, it takes memory faster.
Do high res. it takes memory even faster, if your going to do a lot with
photos,
get rid of MS Windows of all types.
For better gaming with games with a 512MB mark, a little over is good.
But too far is always good too.

It won't help you much with video encode without dual channel mode.

Denny. ;-)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2004 3:38:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Thanks Denny, that was very helpful :) 

> 512 would be good for games, & 1 Gb and more is good for photos and stuff.
> If you scan a lot of stuff, it takes memory faster.
> Do high res. it takes memory even faster, if your going to do a lot with
> photos,
> get rid of MS Windows of all types.
> For better gaming with games with a 512MB mark, a little over is good.
> But too far is always good too.
>
> It won't help you much with video encode without dual channel mode.
>
> Denny. ;-)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2004 3:58:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

RICH PACIFIC INC. DBA DVCENTURY.COM, D.V. Century, D V Century
http://tinyurl.com/5ob9n

THIS COMPANY MAY BE INVESTIGATED ON MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS OF FRAUD.
FEDERAL MAIL FRAUD, CALIFORNIA CONSUMER FRAUD, ETC.

IF YOU HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF THIS COMPANY'S FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY,

Please File CALIFORNIA ATTORNEY GENERAL COMPLAINT:
http://caag.state.ca.us/consumers/mailform.htm

Please File FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION COMPLAINT:
https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE BASED OUTSIDE THE
USA AND YOU RISK LOSING ALL AUTHORIZED CHARGES TO THEM. COMPANY WILL
NOT ISSUE YOU A REFUND FOR ANY REASON.

EXPERIENCE
1. SELL YOU A PRODUCT THEY DON'T EVEN CARRY
2. CHARGE YOU 15% RESTOCKING FEE, EVEN THOUGH YOU NEVER RECEIVED
ORDERED PRODUCT
3. CLAIM TO ISSUE YOU A REFUND, THEN TELL YOU TO DO CHARGEBACK W/CREDIT
CARD COMPANY (INTERPRETATION: THEY WILL NEVER ISSUE YOU A REFUND)
4. CHARGE YOU $25-50 FEE FOR CC CHARGEBACK (SEE COMPANY POLICIES!!!)
5. OVER 2 MONTHS, STILL NO PRODUCT, STILL NO REFUND


--
aslezak
------------------------------------------------------------------------
aslezak's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid...
View this thread: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=...
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 14, 2004 2:17:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

<Snip>
I think I'll just keep using newegg.com when I want parts.
But some I get from a local computer shop.
Denny. ;-)
!