New hard drive causing system (STOP?) errors in Windows XP..

Hello:

I have just installed a new Seagate SATA 200GB hard drive (ST3200822AS) and
partitioned and formatted it with Partition Magic 8.0 into 3 separate logical
partitions. The partitions have a cluster size of 8K and are under the NTFS
3.1 (Windows XP) file system.

Ever since then, however, I have been getting several system failures (STOP
errors?) as I copied my files from my old hard drive to this new one.

Windows has also been almost consistently giving me a "Disk checking" screen
between the Windows XP loading (with logo and loading bar) and log-on screens
that deals with "correcting errors in index (number) for file (filename)" and
"recorvering orphane file (filename". Disk checking deals solely with the
partitions on the new hard drive.

The Disk Checking screen has appeared not just once, but several times.

I am pretty sure that it's not my motherboard rejecting the drive, as it is
listed under my BIOS and Device Manger as "working properly". My primary
drive is also a Seagate SATA (ST380011A) and it's been working without errors
since I purchased my computer more than a year ago.

I am also sure that it's not jumper settings, since SATA hard drivers don't
seem to deal with jumper settings like their IDE counterparts.

Did I do something wrong somewhere between physically installing the drive
and logically partitioning and formatting it?

I have already repartitioned and reformatted the drive from scratch a second
time to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong, but the problem continues
to persist. At this point, I am willing to re-partition and reformat. I
would greatly appreciate is someone can recommend a cluster size.

dl

I take it the responses from your post yesterday didn't help.
It helps us if you don't start a new thread on the same subject.

There have been two other posts recently about problems with the same drive.
Suggest you contact Seagate Tec.

"antaresprime" <antaresprime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I have just installed a new Seagate SATA 200GB hard drive (ST3200822AS)
and
> partitioned and formatted it with Partition Magic 8.0 into 3 separate
logical
> partitions. The partitions have a cluster size of 8K and are under the
NTFS
> 3.1 (Windows XP) file system.
>
> Ever since then, however, I have been getting several system failures
(STOP
> errors?) as I copied my files from my old hard drive to this new one.
>
> Windows has also been almost consistently giving me a "Disk checking"
screen
> between the Windows XP loading (with logo and loading bar) and log-on
screens
> that deals with "correcting errors in index (number) for file (filename)"
and
> "recorvering orphane file (filename". Disk checking deals solely with the
> partitions on the new hard drive.
>
> The Disk Checking screen has appeared not just once, but several times.
>
> I am pretty sure that it's not my motherboard rejecting the drive, as it
is
> listed under my BIOS and Device Manger as "working properly". My primary
> drive is also a Seagate SATA (ST380011A) and it's been working without
errors
> since I purchased my computer more than a year ago.
>
> I am also sure that it's not jumper settings, since SATA hard drivers
don't
> seem to deal with jumper settings like their IDE counterparts.
>
> Did I do something wrong somewhere between physically installing the drive
> and logically partitioning and formatting it?
>
> I have already repartitioned and reformatted the drive from scratch a
second
> time to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong, but the problem
continues
> to persist. At this point, I am willing to re-partition and reformat. I
> would greatly appreciate is someone can recommend a cluster size.

You can't move WinXP onto a new disk by simple copying as you did.
--PA

"antaresprime" <antaresprime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I have just installed a new Seagate SATA 200GB hard drive (ST3200822AS) and
> partitioned and formatted it with Partition Magic 8.0 into 3 separate logical
> partitions. The partitions have a cluster size of 8K and are under the NTFS
> 3.1 (Windows XP) file system.
>
> Ever since then, however, I have been getting several system failures (STOP
> errors?) as I copied my files from my old hard drive to this new one.
>
> Windows has also been almost consistently giving me a "Disk checking" screen
> between the Windows XP loading (with logo and loading bar) and log-on screens
> that deals with "correcting errors in index (number) for file (filename)" and
> "recorvering orphane file (filename". Disk checking deals solely with the
> partitions on the new hard drive.
>
> The Disk Checking screen has appeared not just once, but several times.
>
> I am pretty sure that it's not my motherboard rejecting the drive, as it is
> listed under my BIOS and Device Manger as "working properly". My primary
> drive is also a Seagate SATA (ST380011A) and it's been working without errors
> since I purchased my computer more than a year ago.
>
> I am also sure that it's not jumper settings, since SATA hard drivers don't
> seem to deal with jumper settings like their IDE counterparts.
>
> Did I do something wrong somewhere between physically installing the drive
> and logically partitioning and formatting it?
>
> I have already repartitioned and reformatted the drive from scratch a second
> time to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong, but the problem continues
> to persist. At this point, I am willing to re-partition and reformat. I
> would greatly appreciate is someone can recommend a cluster size.

dl

you missread

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> You can't move WinXP onto a new disk by simple copying as you did.
> --PA
>
> "antaresprime" <antaresprime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> >
> > I have just installed a new Seagate SATA 200GB hard drive (ST3200822AS)
and
> > partitioned and formatted it with Partition Magic 8.0 into 3 separate
logical
> > partitions. The partitions have a cluster size of 8K and are under the
NTFS
> > 3.1 (Windows XP) file system.
> >
> > Ever since then, however, I have been getting several system failures
(STOP
> > errors?) as I copied my files from my old hard drive to this new one.
> >
> > Windows has also been almost consistently giving me a "Disk checking"
screen
> > between the Windows XP loading (with logo and loading bar) and log-on
screens
> > that deals with "correcting errors in index (number) for file
(filename)" and
> > "recorvering orphane file (filename". Disk checking deals solely with
the
> > partitions on the new hard drive.
> >
> > The Disk Checking screen has appeared not just once, but several times.
> >
> > I am pretty sure that it's not my motherboard rejecting the drive, as it
is
> > listed under my BIOS and Device Manger as "working properly". My primary
> > drive is also a Seagate SATA (ST380011A) and it's been working without
errors
> > since I purchased my computer more than a year ago.
> >
> > I am also sure that it's not jumper settings, since SATA hard drivers
don't
> > seem to deal with jumper settings like their IDE counterparts.
> >
> > Did I do something wrong somewhere between physically installing the
drive
> > and logically partitioning and formatting it?
> >
> > I have already repartitioned and reformatted the drive from scratch a
second
> > time to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong, but the problem
continues
> > to persist. At this point, I am willing to re-partition and reformat. I
> > would greatly appreciate is someone can recommend a cluster size.

TRENDING THREADS