Epson Stylus Photo RX500

Has anyone gotten this printer to actually print a picture that is
clear? The printers is about 1 month old. The pictures come out
without any real detail and blurry.

If you have received nice prints, please let me know what settings you
have currently for the Epson program.
15 answers Last reply
More about epson stylus photo rx500

    What paper are you using?If you are using general purpose paper,photos will
    not be very sharp! Try a good glossy photo paper!
    "Steven" <seminaryguard-epson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone gotten this printer to actually print a picture that is
    > clear? The printers is about 1 month old. The pictures come out
    > without any real detail and blurry.
    >
    > If you have received nice prints, please let me know what settings you
    > have currently for the Epson program.

    I am currently using the HP everyday photo paper semi-gloss. Inkjet
    44lb 8.5 x11 in.

    That's your problem. You are using HP paper in the Epson. You will notice
    a big difference if you use Epson paper. Ink and paper are designed to work
    together. Didn't you get some samples of Epson paper with the printer?

    > I am currently using the HP everyday photo paper semi-gloss. Inkjet
    > 44lb 8.5 x11 in.

    NO I sure did not. I will go out and get the Epson paper and give it a
    try. Thanks so much for setting me straight on this.

    Hi Steven,
    I recently bought the RX500, and have made a few test photo prints. I
    have been using various brands of paper, and don't see any correlation's
    of paper type to poor
    results. In fact, I have had good results with all papers. I would look
    elsewhere.
    Did you try an alignment of the printer heads? They are usually pretty
    close on a new printer, but I would check that any ways. It's also worth
    a call to Epson to make sure you have the optimum settings (except for the
    phone charge, it's a free call
    while your printer is still in warrantee). They helped me with my
    settings, which included letting their color management select the optimum
    values for you. It worked
    for me. I'm not ruling out paper, but it has not been my experience.

    Sherwin Dubren

    Steven wrote:

    > Has anyone gotten this printer to actually print a picture that is
    > clear? The printers is about 1 month old. The pictures come out
    > without any real detail and blurry.
    >
    > If you have received nice prints, please let me know what settings you
    > have currently for the Epson program.

    I have an RX500 and it prints great pictures. Visitors find it difficult to
    believe that they are printed "in house".

    I use any old photo paper, including el cheapo.

    When you print don't forget to click on the properties tab and change the
    setting to Photo, and the paper to (I use) the Premium photo glossy
    setting,

    Peter

    "sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Steven,

    Snip

    .. It's also worth
    > a call to Epson to make sure you have the optimum settings (except for the
    > phone charge, it's a free call
    > while your printer is still in warrantee).

    Snip>

    This is a "Good Idea" if all else fails.

    If you are in the UK try this :-

    http://www.epson.co.uk/support/

    Click on Epson Express Centres, enter your post code, find the nearest
    centre, give them a ring and take your printer there. I was told that they
    would either fix it, or replace it! (It was a month old) (I actually fixed
    the problem myself, a contact had moved)

    Peter

    I realigned the printer heads. I also found if I say print in Photo,
    the printer puts way too much ink on the paper! If I say, Print just in
    "Fine" mode, the picture does come put much better. Any other ideas?

    In article <cXzNc.1007$V85.584@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>, Steven wrote:
    > I realigned the printer heads. I also found if I say print in Photo,
    > the printer puts way too much ink on the paper! If I say, Print just in
    > "Fine" mode, the picture does come put much better. Any other ideas?

    I can see they layers of ink in Photo mode for some hours if I use
    Photo paper, but the quality is very good. Get good photo paper, and
    let prints dry for a few hourse.

    Photo mode only works on photo paper, remember to always select correct
    paper type, also influences color cast.

    --
    Povl H. Pedersen - NoSpam@my.terminal.dk (yes - it works)
    Get 5% discount on VMWare use discount/referral code: MRC-POVPED260

    << From: "Povl H. Pedersen" povlhp@povl-h-pedersens-computer.local >>

    << In article <cXzNc.1007$V85.584@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>, Steven wrote:
    > I realigned the printer heads. I also found if I say print in Photo,
    > the printer puts way too much ink on the paper! If I say, Print just in
    > "Fine" mode, the picture does come put much better. Any other ideas?

    I can see they layers of ink in Photo mode for some hours if I use
    Photo paper, but the quality is very good. Get good photo paper, and
    let prints dry for a few hourse.

    Photo mode only works on photo paper, remember to always select correct
    paper type, also influences color cast.

    If you use good photo paper, I can't see why you would have to wait even 2
    hours. My prior Epson's (Color Stylus, 740, and 900) always came out dry from
    the printer. Ditto for my current Canon S900. The only time I have had a wet
    print was when accidentally printing in Photo mode on plain paper or on Kodak
    photo paper which latter paper seemed to require the plain regular paper
    setting. If you are not using Epson photo paper, I highly recommend it or the
    Office Depot "Premium High Gloss" photo paper. For the U.S. This paper
    seems to be made for Office Depot by Konica, a very fine paper manufacturer.

    I have also had good success with ILFORD's Gallerie (Pfofessional Inkjet
    Photo Range) Smooth Gloss Paper which is dirt cheap at Sam's Club. (About $24
    U.S. For 100 sheets.)

    In article <20040729001552.07086.00000068@mb-m17.aol.com>, FredBillie wrote:

    > If you use good photo paper, I can?t see why you would have to wait even 2
    > hours. My prior Epson?s (Color Stylus, 740, and 900) always came out dry from
    > the printer. Ditto for my current Canon S900. The only time I have had a wet
    > print was when accidentally printing in Photo mode on plain paper or on Kodak
    > photo paper which latter paper seemed to require the plain regular paper
    > setting. If you are not using Epson photo paper, I highly recommend it or the
    > Office Depot ?Premium High Gloss? photo paper. For the U.S. This paper
    > seems to be made for Office Depot by Konica, a very fine paper manufacturer.

    The prints are try to the touch, but if I put it in my cutter,
    the plastic pressing hard against the photo will be able to smear ink
    a bit. The "structure" I can see in the ink also disappears after some
    hours. Just liuke pain might be dry on the surface after 1/2 hour,
    but takes 12 hours before it is really dry and can be painted over.

    --
    Povl H. Pedersen - NoSpam@my.terminal.dk (yes - it works)
    Get 5% discount on VMWare use discount/referral code: MRC-POVPED260

    What inks, what paper, what software or image program, what dpi or ppi
    are you using for the source file to print from?

    Some details would be helpful. You should not be getting blurry images.

    Art

    Steven wrote:

    > Has anyone gotten this printer to actually print a picture that is
    > clear? The printers is about 1 month old. The pictures come out
    > without any real detail and blurry.
    >
    > If you have received nice prints, please let me know what settings you
    > have currently for the Epson program.

    Greetings Fred,

    If you have any Kodak paper remaining, I suggest you consider the use of
    EasyShare Software and the One Touch To Better Pictures feature that is
    included with it. When you load Kodak paper into the printer, and open
    EasyShare, the One Touch option will reset your printer driver to maximize
    results. I assure you that you will be amazed at the quality of the
    resulting print.

    Kodak takes the drivers and printers from just about all printer makers, and
    runs them in their lab for a month or two to find the very best possible
    quality. It then publishes the option for that printer on its One Touch To
    Better Pictures. It is all free.

    If you have not yet tried it, you may want to see what you think. Go the
    following web location for EasyShare and the One Touch option.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesupport

    http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch

    Talk to you soon. Let me know how you like it.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "FredBillie" <fredbillie@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
    > << From: "Povl H. Pedersen" povlhp@povl-h-pedersens-computer.local
    >>

    > << In article <cXzNc.1007$V85.584@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>, Steven
    wrote:
    > > I realigned the printer heads. I also found if I say print in Photo,
    > > the printer puts way too much ink on the paper! If I say, Print just in
    > > "Fine" mode, the picture does come put much better. Any other ideas?
    >
    > I can see they layers of ink in Photo mode for some hours if I use
    > Photo paper, but the quality is very good. Get good photo paper, and
    > let prints dry for a few hourse.
    >
    > Photo mode only works on photo paper, remember to always select correct
    > paper type, also influences color cast.
    >

    > If you use good photo paper, I can't see why you would have to wait even 2
    > hours. My prior Epson's (Color Stylus, 740, and 900) always came out dry
    from
    > the printer. Ditto for my current Canon S900. The only time I have had a
    wet
    > print was when accidentally printing in Photo mode on plain paper or on
    Kodak
    > photo paper which latter paper seemed to require the plain regular paper
    > setting. If you are not using Epson photo paper, I highly recommend it or
    the
    > Office Depot "Premium High Gloss" photo paper. For the U.S. This paper
    > seems to be made for Office Depot by Konica, a very fine paper
    manufacturer.

    > I have also had good success with ILFORD's Gallerie (Pfofessional Inkjet
    > Photo Range) Smooth Gloss Paper which is dirt cheap at Sam's Club. (About
    $24
    > U.S. For 100 sheets.)

    Well, I must say I would like to give you a BIG THANK YOU! I downloaded
    the Kodak EasySoftware, got it installed and printed my picture. It
    came out great! So far this is the only software that works well that I
    have tried.

    Greetings Steven,

    Glad to hear that things have worked out well for you. As things move
    along, or if new changes come along I will be glad to share with you. Let
    me know if you ever have questions. We have most recently released inkjet
    paper for the professional.

    Talk to you soon,

    Best regard

    > Well, I must say I would like to give you a BIG THANK YOU! I downloaded
    > the Kodak EasySoftware, got it installed and printed my picture. It
    > came out great! So far this is the only software that works well that I
    > have tried.

Printers Stylus Photo Epson Peripherals