  • Hardware
  • Windows Server 2003
  • Windows XP
August 9, 2005 1:05:03 PM

I have a 160 GB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD.
Drive gets detected properly on my asus p4c800 motheroboard BIOS, I get
a prompt to press F4 to continue resume booting. (Showing S.M.A.R.T.
Status bad)

But i am unable to locate (it wont get detected) on hardware device
manager.

Is there a solution for this problem ?

Drive is getting detected in Windows 2003, drive has 2 partitions 20 gb
and 140 gb with NTFS filesystem in both partitions.

Thanks.

--
dr.nil
dr.nil's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=4402

More about : status bad

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:05:04 PM

dr.nil <dr.nil.1th9y6@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>I have a 160 GB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD.
>Drive gets detected properly on my asus p4c800 motheroboard BIOS, I get
>a prompt to press F4 to continue resume booting. (Showing S.M.A.R.T.
>Status bad)
>
>But i am unable to locate (it wont get detected) on hardware device
>manager.
>
>Is there a solution for this problem ?
>
>Drive is getting detected in Windows 2003, drive has 2 partitions 20 gb
>and 140 gb with NTFS filesystem in both partitions.
>
>Thanks.

Download Seagate's Seatools diagnostic software from
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/ and use that to test the
drive.

Also verify the warranty status of your drive at
http://www.seagate.com/support/service/index.html

Assuming that Seatools confirms the S.M.A.R.T. report and that the
drive is out of warranty your next step should be to run, not walk, to
the nearest computer shop and get a replacement hard drive.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:05:04 PM

"dr.nil" <dr.nil.1th9y6@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
news:D r.nil.1th9y6@DoNotSpam.com...

> I have a 160 GB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD.
> Drive gets detected properly on my asus p4c800 motheroboard BIOS, I get
> a prompt to press F4 to continue resume booting. (Showing S.M.A.R.T.
> Status bad)
>
> But i am unable to locate (it wont get detected) on hardware device
> manager.
>
> Is there a solution for this problem ?
>
> Drive is getting detected in Windows 2003, drive has 2 partitions 20 gb
> and 140 gb with NTFS filesystem in both partitions.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> dr.nil

SMART is usually pretty accurate in detecting a failing drive. For a second
opinion, download the diagnostic tools from Seagate and see what comes up.
If it is failing hardware, there's no fix except a new drive.
August 9, 2005 1:56:14 PM

YES! Back up and replace that hard drive FAST! The drive is failing and
the S.M.A.R.T. is telling you this before the drive completely dies.

"dr.nil" <dr.nil.1th9y6@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
news:D r.nil.1th9y6@DoNotSpam.com...

> I have a 160 GB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD.
> Drive gets detected properly on my asus p4c800 motheroboard BIOS, I get
> a prompt to press F4 to continue resume booting. (Showing S.M.A.R.T.
> Status bad)
>
> But i am unable to locate (it wont get detected) on hardware device
> manager.
>
> Is there a solution for this problem ?
>
> Drive is getting detected in Windows 2003, drive has 2 partitions 20 gb
> and 140 gb with NTFS filesystem in both partitions.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> dr.nil
> dr.nil's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=4402
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=338943
> Visit - http://www.techarena.in | http://forums.techarena.in |
> http://gallery.techarena.in

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:31:58 AM

BAH.

I've seen SMART wrong enough times to not trust it. Third-party
diagnostics are the best.

!