Video card woes

August 9, 2005 1:58:34 PM

The AGP video card in my PC got hosed, and I'm getting a "no video" beep code
when I boot.

So I removed the AGP card and replaced it with an old Matrox Millenium PCI card,
the only video card I had available.

When I boot, the XP splash screen comes up, and then a BSOD:

STOP: c0000218 {registry file failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file)
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\DEFAULT
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

The KB for this error says to check if the hardware is supported. Yes, the card
IS supported by XP.

I then tried a repair install. It copies the files, then exits with the error:

Setup can not set the required Windows XP configuration information. This
indicates an internal setup error. Contact your system administrator.

I've also tried the recovery console,
enable vgasave SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
It says that vgasave is already enabled. In any event, it doesn't help.

It's obviously still looking for an AGP card that's no longer there. Putting the
card in again doesn't help, because it's not being seen on system initialization
anymore.

I'm guessing that my next option is to do a parallel install, load the original
registry, and somehow tell it, hey, ignore the AGP card and use either the
Matrox, or (probably easier) straight VGA.

That's where I'm at now. Anyone know exactly what I would need to do to fix
this?

Thanks in advanceā€¦.

(man, do I miss Win '98)

More about : video card woes

August 9, 2005 6:06:09 PM

Check your BIOS settings - most have an option for either AGP or PCI as
primary video. Did you change it when you changed video cards?

<mark@no.spam> wrote in message
> The AGP video card in my PC got hosed, and I'm getting a "no video" beep
> code
> when I boot.
>
> So I removed the AGP card and replaced it with an old Matrox Millenium PCI
> card,
> the only video card I had available.
>
> When I boot, the XP splash screen comes up, and then a BSOD:
>
> STOP: c0000218 {registry file failure}
> The registry cannot load the hive (file)
> \SystemRoot\System32\Config\DEFAULT
> or its log or alternate.
> It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
>
> The KB for this error says to check if the hardware is supported. Yes, the
> card
> IS supported by XP.
>
> I then tried a repair install. It copies the files, then exits with the
> error:
>
> Setup can not set the required Windows XP configuration information. This
> indicates an internal setup error. Contact your system administrator.
>
> I've also tried the recovery console,
> enable vgasave SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
> It says that vgasave is already enabled. In any event, it doesn't help.
>
> It's obviously still looking for an AGP card that's no longer there.
> Putting the
> card in again doesn't help, because it's not being seen on system
> initialization
> anymore.
>
> I'm guessing that my next option is to do a parallel install, load the
> original
> registry, and somehow tell it, hey, ignore the AGP card and use either the
> Matrox, or (probably easier) straight VGA.
>
> That's where I'm at now. Anyone know exactly what I would need to do to
> fix
> this?
>
> Thanks in advance..
>
> (man, do I miss Win '98)

August 10, 2005 10:17:16 AM

Hi,

The system has an Award BIOS.

Yes, I set the BIOS to PCI VGA card. It had no effect. Same problem as before.

I'm quite sure the problem is that XP is trying to access a video card that no
longer exists. I need to get at the registry and tell XP to ignore the AGP card.
Anyone know how?

Thanks

!