Fan STOPPED working!

Hey everybody,
So, earlier today, I decided to clear the dust out of the inside of my
computer tower today. After cleaning out all the dust, I turned on the
computer for the first time and I noticed the fan on the side had stopped
operating.

Can anybody suggest what I need to do to make it work? Sorry about this
being a bit vague.

But I have a Nokia Tower/case if that is of any help to anyone. It's the
colourful fan on the side which has stopped working.

you may also have hit a dead spot in the coils. This happened to me
with a fan on a power supply. try spinning the fan blades a little and
try to power up again

You might have loosened one of the wires while cleaning out the dust.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Hemal Lad" <HemalLad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey everybody,
> So, earlier today, I decided to clear the dust out of the inside of my
> computer tower today. After cleaning out all the dust, I turned on the
> computer for the first time and I noticed the fan on the side had stopped
> operating.
>
> Can anybody suggest what I need to do to make it work? Sorry about this
> being a bit vague.
>
> But I have a Nokia Tower/case if that is of any help to anyone. It's the
> colourful fan on the side which has stopped working.

I don't think I have. I've checked all the wires and they are in. Is there
any possible way of turning the fan on and off e.g. a switch may have been
moved?

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> You might have loosened one of the wires while cleaning out the dust.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "Hemal Lad" <HemalLad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey everybody,
> > So, earlier today, I decided to clear the dust out of the inside of my
> > computer tower today. After cleaning out all the dust, I turned on the
> > computer for the first time and I noticed the fan on the side had stopped
> > operating.
> >
> > Can anybody suggest what I need to do to make it work? Sorry about this
> > being a bit vague.
> >
> > But I have a Nokia Tower/case if that is of any help to anyone. It's the
> > colourful fan on the side which has stopped working.

Is it temperpature controlled? It isn't part of the Windows operating
system. You could read up on the motherboard documentation or review the
user manual.

Hemal Lad wrote:

> I don't think I have. I've checked all the wires and they are in. Is there
> any possible way of turning the fan on and off e.g. a switch may have been
> moved?
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>

>>You might have loosened one of the wires while cleaning out the dust.
>>
>>--
>>Ted Zieglar
>>"You can do it if you try."
>>
>>"Hemal Lad" <HemalLad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hey everybody,
>>>So, earlier today, I decided to clear the dust out of the inside of my
>>>computer tower today. After cleaning out all the dust, I turned on the
>>>computer for the first time and I noticed the fan on the side had stopped
>>>operating.
>>>
>>>Can anybody suggest what I need to do to make it work? Sorry about this
>>>being a bit vague.
>>>
>>>But I have a Nokia Tower/case if that is of any help to anyone. It's the
>>>colourful fan on the side which has stopped working.

Depending on how you cleaned it, it may well be broken.. the good news is
that they are 'child's play' to replace.. go to your local friendly computer
store and buy a new one..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

>I don't think I have. I've checked all the wires and they are in. Is there
> any possible way of turning the fan on and off e.g. a switch may have been
> moved?
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
>> You might have loosened one of the wires while cleaning out the dust.
>>
>> --
>> Ted Zieglar
>> "You can do it if you try."
>>
>> "Hemal Lad" <HemalLad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey everybody,
>> > So, earlier today, I decided to clear the dust out of the inside of my
>> > computer tower today. After cleaning out all the dust, I turned on the
>> > computer for the first time and I noticed the fan on the side had
>> > stopped
>> > operating.
>> >
>> > Can anybody suggest what I need to do to make it work? Sorry about this
>> > being a bit vague.
>> >
>> > But I have a Nokia Tower/case if that is of any help to anyone. It's
>> > the
>> > colourful fan on the side which has stopped working.

That sounds interesting. Would you explain to someone with little knowledge
of electronics...that would be me...what you mean by a "dead spot"? Thanks.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"AnTi-IdoL" <hurley_dan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> you may also have hit a dead spot in the coils. This happened to me
> with a fan on a power supply. try spinning the fan blades a little and
> try to power up again

Dead spot is an area where the power does not allow the fan motor to spin.
It does not provide power, hence "dead".

> That sounds interesting. Would you explain to someone with little
> knowledge
> of electronics...that would be me...what you mean by a "dead spot"?
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "AnTi-IdoL" <hurley_dan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> you may also have hit a dead spot in the coils. This happened to me
>> with a fan on a power supply. try spinning the fan blades a little and
>> try to power up again

Thank you. So how does "spinning the fan blades a little" bring the fan
'back to life'?

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

> Dead spot is an area where the power does not allow the fan motor to spin.
> It does not provide power, hence "dead".

> > That sounds interesting. Would you explain to someone with little
> > knowledge
> > of electronics...that would be me...what you mean by a "dead spot"?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> > "You can do it if you try."
> >
> > "AnTi-IdoL" <hurley_dan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> you may also have hit a dead spot in the coils. This happened to me
> >> with a fan on a power supply. try spinning the fan blades a little and
> >> try to power up again

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

It's not rocket science, just buy a new fan and be done with it. How much
diagnosing do you want to do on a $5 fan.

Hemal Lad wrote:
> Hey everybody,
> So, earlier today, I decided to clear the dust out of the inside of my
> computer tower today. After cleaning out all the dust, I turned on the
> computer for the first time and I noticed the fan on the side had stopped
> operating.
>
> Can anybody suggest what I need to do to make it work? Sorry about this
> being a bit vague.
>
> But I have a Nokia Tower/case if that is of any help to anyone. It's the
> colourful fan on the side which has stopped working.

Are you sure it worked before cleaning? Some fans die unnoticed.

Regards
Miguel Gimenez

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to ask my uncle about the fan and if he
doesn't have any idea, then I'll buy a new fan. My uncle is the one who
part-built the tower, so he's quite good with the hardware side of things :D

Thanks again for all your help. I'll let you know what happens... when it
does :p

Hemal

In article <#gsfrWQnFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com says...
> Dead spot is an area where the power does not allow the fan motor to spin.
> It does not provide power, hence "dead".

No, a dead-spot is there the brushes don't make proper contact with the
coils and don't energize the coils. The power is always where, unless
there is an OPEN in the wiring.

In most cases, the brushes wears out or get corroded, or the bearings
foul/wear causing to much startup torque to be needed and the power/coil
can not overcome the mechanical resistance.

Spinning the fan overcomes both problems for a short amount of time.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Thank you.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

> In article <#gsfrWQnFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
> yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com says...
> > Dead spot is an area where the power does not allow the fan motor to
spin.
> > It does not provide power, hence "dead".
>
> No, a dead-spot is there the brushes don't make proper contact with the
> coils and don't energize the coils. The power is always where, unless
> there is an OPEN in the wiring.
>
> In most cases, the brushes wears out or get corroded, or the bearings
> foul/wear causing to much startup torque to be needed and the power/coil
> can not overcome the mechanical resistance.
>
> Spinning the fan overcomes both problems for a short amount of time.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

> In article <#gsfrWQnFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
> yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com says...
> > Dead spot is an area where the power does not allow the fan motor to
spin.
> > It does not provide power, hence "dead".
>
> No, a dead-spot is there the brushes don't make proper contact with the
> coils and don't energize the coils. The power is always where, unless
> there is an OPEN in the wiring.
>
> In most cases, the brushes wears out or get corroded, or the bearings
> foul/wear causing to much startup torque to be needed and the power/coil
> can not overcome the mechanical resistance.
>
> Spinning the fan overcomes both problems for a short amount of time.

Computer fans have NO brushes. The hash generated
by brushes would raise hell with the computer electronics.

Computer fans have alternately aligned permanent magnets on the
inside of the fan blade hub, driven by an AC signal
generated by electronics in the middle of the fan, driving
coils which interact with the magnets, producing rotation.
(take one apart, you'll see what I'm describing).

There's enough overlap in the mag. fields in the fan that you
should NOT, under any circumstances, need to thump the fan
to get it going. If you do, it's worn out and needs replacing.

> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

In article <eT88KyTnFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, vanceg@nowhere.net
says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > In article <#gsfrWQnFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
> > yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com says...
> > > Dead spot is an area where the power does not allow the fan motor to
> spin.
> > > It does not provide power, hence "dead".
> >
> > No, a dead-spot is there the brushes don't make proper contact with the
> > coils and don't energize the coils. The power is always where, unless
> > there is an OPEN in the wiring.
> >
> > In most cases, the brushes wears out or get corroded, or the bearings
> > foul/wear causing to much startup torque to be needed and the power/coil
> > can not overcome the mechanical resistance.
> >
> > Spinning the fan overcomes both problems for a short amount of time.
>
> Computer fans have NO brushes. The hash generated
> by brushes would raise hell with the computer electronics.
>
> Computer fans have alternately aligned permanent magnets on the
> inside of the fan blade hub, driven by an AC signal
> generated by electronics in the middle of the fan, driving
> coils which interact with the magnets, producing rotation.
> (take one apart, you'll see what I'm describing).
>
> There's enough overlap in the mag. fields in the fan that you
> should NOT, under any circumstances, need to thump the fan
> to get it going. If you do, it's worn out and needs replacing.

Not all computer fans are brushless, but you are right, the majority of
them are.

--

> In article <eT88KyTnFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, vanceg@nowhere.net
> says...
> >
> > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > > In article <#gsfrWQnFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
> > > yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com says...
> > spin.
> > >
> > > No, a dead-spot is there the brushes don't make proper contact with
the
> > > coils and don't energize the coils. The power is always where, unless
> > > there is an OPEN in the wiring.
> > >
> > > In most cases, the brushes wears out or get corroded, or the bearings
> > > foul/wear causing to much startup torque to be needed and the
power/coil
> > > can not overcome the mechanical resistance.
> > >
> > > Spinning the fan overcomes both problems for a short amount of time.
> >
> > Computer fans have NO brushes. The hash generated
> > by brushes would raise hell with the computer electronics.
> >
> > Computer fans have alternately aligned permanent magnets on the
> > inside of the fan blade hub, driven by an AC signal
> > generated by electronics in the middle of the fan, driving
> > coils which interact with the magnets, producing rotation.
> > (take one apart, you'll see what I'm describing).
> >
> > There's enough overlap in the mag. fields in the fan that you
> > should NOT, under any circumstances, need to thump the fan
> > to get it going. If you do, it's worn out and needs replacing.
>
> Not all computer fans are brushless, but you are right, the majority of
> them are.

Really? Never seen one of those, I guess.

Seems like a bad idea...

> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

I would be very surprised to see something that generates carbon dust
and microscopic copper particles installed in a computer. The problem
from circuit shorts is a bit extreme.

Leythos wrote:

> Not all computer fans are brushless, but you are right, the majority of
> them are.

If all else fails, since the solution to a problem is often to undo
what one did that created the problem in the first place, how about
just putting the dust back?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Good one bxf :p , but the solution was much more simpler.

As I thought, it was just the four pin white plug connection which had been
altered. While I thought it was removed, it was eversoslightly loosened, so
it was hard for me to tell that.

But, my uncle took a look and got it all up and running. :D

.... and who said that throwing the fan away was the correct solution. :p

Thanks again for all your help peeps.

"bxf" wrote:

> If all else fails, since the solution to a problem is often to undo
> what one did that created the problem in the first place, how about
> just putting the dust back?
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist.

All's well that ends well. Glad you solved your problem.