Overclocking Barton 1833 (2500+)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

So far I've managed to get it to 2.26 GHz with 205 FSB. No voltage
change. I have Zalman CNPS700A-AlCu and it keeps it at 38C/42C Idle/CPU
Max. Motherboard is Asus A7N8X-X (2x200MHz FSB). How far can I push it
more, anyone OC'd it higher? What temperature is still OK, 60C, 70C?

BTW, just to make sure: is Barton die temperature 90C?
13 answers Last reply
More about overclocking barton 1833 2500
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "SysCold" <syscold@net4u.hr> wrote in message
    > So far I've managed to get it to 2.26 GHz with 205 FSB. No voltage
    > change. I have Zalman CNPS700A-AlCu and it keeps it at 38C/42C Idle/CPU
    > Max. Motherboard is Asus A7N8X-X (2x200MHz FSB). How far can I push it
    > more, anyone OC'd it higher? What temperature is still OK, 60C, 70C?
    >
    > BTW, just to make sure: is Barton die temperature 90C?

    Max temp before death is stated as 90c yes..
    I dont think you'll push it much farther with air cooling but I have read
    where people have got it up to 220*11, Mine wont do it tho.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Barton die temperature 85C?

    "SysCold" <syscold@net4u.hr> skrev i meddelandet
    > So far I've managed to get it to 2.26 GHz with 205 FSB. No voltage
    > change. I have Zalman CNPS700A-AlCu and it keeps it at 38C/42C Idle/CPU
    > Max. Motherboard is Asus A7N8X-X (2x200MHz FSB). How far can I push it
    > more, anyone OC'd it higher? What temperature is still OK, 60C, 70C?
    >
    > BTW, just to make sure: is Barton die temperature 90C?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    With the latest chips your memory or chipset would usually be the limiting
    factors due to high FSB, not the CPU.
    With good air cooling and a moderate voltage increase (1.9V) the most will
    get into the 2500 - 2600MHz region as long as the rest of your system is
    good for the FSB.

    "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

    > "SysCold" <syscold@net4u.hr> wrote in message
    > > So far I've managed to get it to 2.26 GHz with 205 FSB. No voltage
    > > change. I have Zalman CNPS700A-AlCu and it keeps it at 38C/42C Idle/CPU
    > > Max. Motherboard is Asus A7N8X-X (2x200MHz FSB). How far can I push it
    > > more, anyone OC'd it higher? What temperature is still OK, 60C, 70C?
    > >
    > > BTW, just to make sure: is Barton die temperature 90C?
    >
    > Max temp before death is stated as 90c yes..
    > I dont think you'll push it much farther with air cooling but I have read
    > where people have got it up to 220*11, Mine wont do it tho.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    rstlne wrote:
    > "SysCold" <syscold@net4u.hr> wrote in message
    >
    >>So far I've managed to get it to 2.26 GHz with 205 FSB. No voltage
    >>change. I have Zalman CNPS700A-AlCu and it keeps it at 38C/42C Idle/CPU
    >>Max. Motherboard is Asus A7N8X-X (2x200MHz FSB). How far can I push it
    >>more, anyone OC'd it higher? What temperature is still OK, 60C, 70C?
    >>
    >>BTW, just to make sure: is Barton die temperature 90C?
    >

    > Max temp before death is stated as 90c yes..
    > I dont think you'll push it much farther with air cooling but I have read
    > where people have got it up to 220*11, Mine wont do it tho.

    I'm now running stable on 220MHz FSB, that's 2.43GHz. I don't know if my
    Asus PC Probe is lieing but it said: 33C Idle, 43C CPU Max. I touched
    cooler near CPU and it wasn't hot, I'd say it's mild warm. Still without
    changing voltage. Memory timings: 2.5-3-3-8. I'll try to get it even lower.
    I'll let you know when I reach limit.... if anyone is interested?...
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:19:04 +0200, SysCold wrote:

    > I'm now running stable on 220MHz FSB, that's 2.43GHz. I don't know if my
    > Asus PC Probe is lieing but it said: 33C Idle, 43C CPU Max. I touched
    > cooler near CPU and it wasn't hot, I'd say it's mild warm. Still without
    > changing voltage. Memory timings: 2.5-3-3-8. I'll try to get it even lower.
    > I'll let you know when I reach limit.... if anyone is interested?...

    Have you actually run Prime95 for a few hours to test if your computer
    really is stable? You are very lucky if you don't have to raise the CPU
    core voltage. Also your temps are very low - I mean how long have you run
    it at 100% load? Also, what is your room's ambient temperature?

    Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

    --
    ********************************
    to reply via email remove "fake"

    BigBadger wrote:
    > With the latest chips your memory or chipset would usually be the limiting
    > factors due to high FSB, not the CPU.
    > With good air cooling and a moderate voltage increase (1.9V) the most will
    > get into the 2500 - 2600MHz region as long as the rest of your system is
    > good for the FSB.

    I think the rest of system will match those speeds. Dual DDR 512MB
    PC4000 (500MHz) KINGMAX Hardcore and ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (if it
    matters). Will it?
    Now running at 225 FSB, stable. But I had to raise RPM on cooler from
    min - 1300 to max - 2400. No change in voltage.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Larry Gagnon wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:19:04 +0200, SysCold wrote:
    >

    >>I'm now running stable on 220MHz FSB, that's 2.43GHz. I don't know if my
    >>Asus PC Probe is lieing but it said: 33C Idle, 43C CPU Max. I touched
    >>cooler near CPU and it wasn't hot, I'd say it's mild warm. Still without
    >>changing voltage. Memory timings: 2.5-3-3-8. I'll try to get it even lower.
    >>I'll let you know when I reach limit.... if anyone is interested?...
    >

    > Have you actually run Prime95 for a few hours to test if your computer
    > really is stable? You are very lucky if you don't have to raise the CPU
    > core voltage. Also your temps are very low - I mean how long have you run
    > it at 100% load? Also, what is your room's ambient temperature?
    >
    > Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

    I've tested it in simple program I wrote. It loops some arithmetical and
    logical operations for half of hour taking 100% of CPU. When I wrote
    above post room temp was 25.5C. But there is something strange I
    noticed. There is the difference between ASUS PC Probe and BIOS
    readings. BIOS shows about 5 to 7C more then PC Probe. But still, 50C is
    OK temp for 25.5C ambient temp and overclocked processor. I don't know
    if it is wise or will it damage my processor/MB but I'll rise FSB until
    processor temp reaches 60C at full load for hour. MB temp is 25C in BIOS
    and PC Probe, so I hope I don't have to worry about it.
    System is now working at 230 FSB, 2.54GHz, still NO change in core
    voltage. I left it on 'AUTO' and during all testings, CV was at 1.696. I
    ran FarCry for few hours (until my last post) at 230 FSB without any
    problems. Processor is now 31C Idle, 38C after hours of FarCry. Temp in
    the room is now 23.1C.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    In article <cf0qvq$2rf$1@brown.net4u.hr>, syscold@net4u.hr says...
    > Larry Gagnon wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:19:04 +0200, SysCold wrote:
    > >

    > >>I'm now running stable on 220MHz FSB, that's 2.43GHz. I don't know if my
    > >>Asus PC Probe is lieing but it said: 33C Idle, 43C CPU Max. I touched
    > >>cooler near CPU and it wasn't hot, I'd say it's mild warm. Still without
    > >>changing voltage. Memory timings: 2.5-3-3-8. I'll try to get it even lower.
    > >>I'll let you know when I reach limit.... if anyone is interested?...
    > >

    > > Have you actually run Prime95 for a few hours to test if your computer
    > > really is stable? You are very lucky if you don't have to raise the CPU
    > > core voltage. Also your temps are very low - I mean how long have you run
    > > it at 100% load? Also, what is your room's ambient temperature?
    > >
    > > Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.
    > >

    > I've tested it in simple program I wrote. It loops some arithmetical and
    > logical operations for half of hour taking 100% of CPU.

    Does your program make full use of the Level 1 and Level 2 cache?
    If not you're nowhere near generating the max heat possible to
    generate on the cpu.

    Bill
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Bill wrote:

    > In article <cf0qvq$2rf$1@brown.net4u.hr>, syscold@net4u.hr says...
    >
    >>Larry Gagnon wrote:

    >>>Have you actually run Prime95 for a few hours to test if your computer
    >>>really is stable? You are very lucky if you don't have to raise the CPU
    >>>core voltage. Also your temps are very low - I mean how long have you run
    >>>it at 100% load? Also, what is your room's ambient temperature?
    >>>
    >>>Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.
    >>>

    >>I've tested it in simple program I wrote. It loops some arithmetical and
    >>logical operations for half of hour taking 100% of CPU.
    >

    > Does your program make full use of the Level 1 and Level 2 cache?
    > If not you're nowhere near generating the max heat possible to
    > generate on the cpu.
    >
    > Bill

    I really don't know, I'm not that good but I'll look in it. If I
    generate same/almost same temp as prime95, does that mean prog is good?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    In article <cf144l$ofc$2@brown.net4u.hr>, syscold@net4u.hr says...
    > Bill wrote:

    <snip>

    > >>I've tested it in simple program I wrote. It loops some arithmetical and
    > >>logical operations for half of hour taking 100% of CPU.
    > >

    > > Does your program make full use of the Level 1 and Level 2 cache?
    > > If not you're nowhere near generating the max heat possible to
    > > generate on the cpu.
    > >
    > > Bill
    >
    > I really don't know, I'm not that good but I'll look in it. If I
    > generate same/almost same temp as prime95, does that mean prog is good?

    For the purposes of heating up the processor it's ok, but if it's not
    excersizing all the cache, how do you know if the cache is going to be
    reliable under stress? My understanding of Prime 95 is that it heavily
    stresses the cache as well as the processor, as well as main memory.

    Bill
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Michael.Carlsson wrote:
    > SysCold wrote:
    [...]
    >> BTW, just to make sure: is Barton die temperature 90C?
    >
    > Barton die temperature 85C?

    Correct. For a desktop Barton/TBred, the maximum die temperature is 85 deg
    C. Dekstop Palominos are 90 deg C, TBirds are 95 deg C. Mobile/SFF chips
    have die temperatures all over the place, depending on which one you get.

    --
    Michael Brown
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Bill wrote:

    > In article <cf144l$ofc$2@brown.net4u.hr>, syscold@net4u.hr says...
    >
    >>Bill wrote:
    >>

    > <snip>

    >>> Does your program make full use of the Level 1 and Level 2 cache?
    >>>If not you're nowhere near generating the max heat possible to
    >>>generate on the cpu.
    >>>
    >>> Bill
    >>
    >>I really don't know, I'm not that good but I'll look in it. If I
    >>generate same/almost same temp as prime95, does that mean prog is good?
    >>

    > For the purposes of heating up the processor it's ok, but if it's not
    > excersizing all the cache, how do you know if the cache is going to be
    > reliable under stress? My understanding of Prime 95 is that it heavily
    > stresses the cache as well as the processor, as well as main memory.
    >
    > Bill

    More a case of checking the CPU and Memory, by verifying the Data it
    wrote, is the same it receives back. Just loading the CPU won't do
    bugger all, unless your verifying something...

    My 50c *8)
    Minotaur
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    So at 1.75 volts and at 2.5ghz did i just get lucky LOL LOL LOL LOL
    LOL :p

    Iam going for 3ghz, just need that water cooling kit :)

    On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:36:04 +1200, "Michael Brown"
    <see@signature.below> wrote:

    >Michael.Carlsson wrote:
    >> SysCold wrote:
    >[...]
    >>> BTW, just to make sure: is Barton die temperature 90C?
    >>
    >> Barton die temperature 85C?
    >
    >Correct. For a desktop Barton/TBred, the maximum die temperature is 85 deg
    >C. Dekstop Palominos are 90 deg C, TBirds are 95 deg C. Mobile/SFF chips
    >have die temperatures all over the place, depending on which one you get.

    HELLO NURSE.

AMD Overclocking Hardware Temperature