New heatsink and fan combo

I have a xp 2800 that's at idle running In the low 50's. Im currently using
the stock heatsink and fan. What im looking for is somthing that will cool
this thing down. I also have four 80mm case fans in my case. I looking for
somthing not to exspensive. But noise is not a problem. I was looking at the
Kingwin KCU-7025 from tiger direct. But don't know if it would be any better
than what i have. Could someone recomend a good one for a good price. Thanks
Jay
9 answers Last reply
More about heatsink combo

    >I have a xp 2800 that's at idle running In the low 50's. Im currently using
    >the stock heatsink and fan. What im looking for is somthing that will cool
    >this thing down. I also have four 80mm case fans in my case. I looking for
    >somthing not to exspensive. But noise is not a problem. I was looking at the
    >Kingwin KCU-7025 from tiger direct. But don't know if it would be any better
    >than what i have. Could someone recomend a good one for a good price. Thanks
    >Jay

    Get a 60mm to 80mm fan adapter and a sunon 80mm fan,
    lap the heatsink, use arctic silver, and poof...instant cool for cheap.

    Been my experience EVERYTHING between this basic setup
    and the top of the line air cooled solution
    (Thermaltake SLK-900 - vantec 92mm tornado combo)
    is a waste of money, price/performance wise.

    Ski
    "The only way to find out how far is too far...
    is to go there"
    (remove spleen to e-mail)

    On 06 Aug 2004 22:37:43 GMT, somebody wrote:

    >Get a 60mm to 80mm fan adapter and a sunon 80mm fan,
    >lap the heatsink, use arctic silver, and poof...instant cool for cheap.
    >
    >Been my experience EVERYTHING between this basic setup
    >and the top of the line air cooled solution
    >(Thermaltake SLK-900 - vantec 92mm tornado combo)
    >is a waste of money, price/performance wise.

    How do you lap a heatsink? I figure that it means to grind it smooth
    in some way, but please give full details. Thanks in advance,

    pilgrim

    google it...

    pilgrim wrote:

    > On 06 Aug 2004 22:37:43 GMT, somebody wrote:
    >
    >>Get a 60mm to 80mm fan adapter and a sunon 80mm fan,
    >>lap the heatsink, use arctic silver, and poof...instant cool for cheap.
    >>
    >>Been my experience EVERYTHING between this basic setup
    >>and the top of the line air cooled solution
    >>(Thermaltake SLK-900 - vantec 92mm tornado combo)
    >>is a waste of money, price/performance wise.
    >>
    > How do you lap a heatsink? I figure that it means to grind it smooth
    > in some way, but please give full details. Thanks in advance,
    >
    > pilgrim

    Get a flat plate of glass, steel or heavy plastic, some wet-n-dry sandpaper
    and a bit of soapy water. Put a little water on the plate, place a sheet of
    sandpaper on the plate, put a little more soapy water on the sandpaper then
    begin polishing the bottom of the heatsink in either circular or figure
    eight motions, being very careful to keep the heatsink perfectly flat to
    the sandpaper. You want a flat, smooth, shiny surface on the bottom of the
    heatsink when you are done.

    The grit of the paper largely depends on the condition of the heatsink. If
    it's nearly perfect, you can start off with 600 and end with 1000 for a
    mirror perfect finish. If the bottom is scratched badly or very uneven, you
    may have to begin with something as rough as 200, going through finer and
    finer grits to get the desired results. It all depends.

    That said, the results can be either be very dramtic or a slight drop in cpu
    temperature. It all depends on the condition of the heat sink before you
    begin this... madness.

    For the record, I get the best results if I take the time to lap the
    processor also (just don't splash the water onto the processor
    electronics). I work slowly, carefully and end up with nearly a mirror
    finish on both surfaces and "glue" them together with a smear of Radio
    Shack white stuff when I mount the HSF and Processor to the motherboard.

    So, happy lapping.

    Registered Linux User Number 185956
    FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
    Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
    9:28am up 4 days, 16:52, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.06, 0.00

    Jerry McBride wrote:
    [...]
    > For the record, I get the best results if I take the time to lap the
    > processor also

    You're kidding, right? Lapping the die is about the fastest way to kill it,
    only just behind using the CPU as a frisbee. The CPU die itself is optically
    flat and smooth (or damn close to it anyhow), and the only thing between the
    die and the air is a very thin (as in several micron) protective layer. Have
    the CPU a fraction of a degree off being perfectly flat with the sandpaper,
    or have very slightly uneven pressure applied, and you can kiss your CPU
    goodbye.

    It *is* possible to lap CPUs with an IHS (P4, A64) or that have a casing
    (K6's, older GPUs, GF4's in particular with their concave casing).

    > (just don't splash the water onto the processor
    > electronics).

    You can actually get water all over the CPU, but just make sure that you
    rinse it off with clean water afterwards and let it dry very well before
    powering it up :)

    [...]

    --
    Michael Brown

    Have you ever tried just removing the processor and just reinstalling it?
    What proof do you have that all the polishing is totally responsible for any
    changes?
    "Jerry McBride" <mcbrides9@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > pilgrim wrote:
    >
    > > On 06 Aug 2004 22:37:43 GMT, somebody wrote:
    > >
    > >>Get a 60mm to 80mm fan adapter and a sunon 80mm fan,
    > >>lap the heatsink, use arctic silver, and poof...instant cool for cheap.
    > >>
    > >>Been my experience EVERYTHING between this basic setup
    > >>and the top of the line air cooled solution
    > >>(Thermaltake SLK-900 - vantec 92mm tornado combo)
    > >>is a waste of money, price/performance wise.
    > >>
    > > How do you lap a heatsink? I figure that it means to grind it smooth
    > > in some way, but please give full details. Thanks in advance,
    > >
    > > pilgrim
    >

    > Get a flat plate of glass, steel or heavy plastic, some wet-n-dry
    sandpaper
    > and a bit of soapy water. Put a little water on the plate, place a sheet
    of
    > sandpaper on the plate, put a little more soapy water on the sandpaper
    then
    > begin polishing the bottom of the heatsink in either circular or figure
    > eight motions, being very careful to keep the heatsink perfectly flat to
    > the sandpaper. You want a flat, smooth, shiny surface on the bottom of the
    > heatsink when you are done.
    >
    > The grit of the paper largely depends on the condition of the heatsink. If
    > it's nearly perfect, you can start off with 600 and end with 1000 for a
    > mirror perfect finish. If the bottom is scratched badly or very uneven,
    you
    > may have to begin with something as rough as 200, going through finer and
    > finer grits to get the desired results. It all depends.
    >
    > That said, the results can be either be very dramtic or a slight drop in
    cpu
    > temperature. It all depends on the condition of the heat sink before you
    > begin this... madness.
    >
    > For the record, I get the best results if I take the time to lap the
    > processor also (just don't splash the water onto the processor
    > electronics). I work slowly, carefully and end up with nearly a mirror
    > finish on both surfaces and "glue" them together with a smear of Radio
    > Shack white stuff when I mount the HSF and Processor to the motherboard.
    >
    > So, happy lapping.

    **
    > Registered Linux User Number 185956
    > FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
    > Join me in chat at #linux-users on irc.freenode.net
    > Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
    > 9:28am up 4 days, 16:52, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.06, 0.00

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 17:09:06 -0400, "notritenoteri"
    <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote:

    >Have you ever tried just removing the processor and just reinstalling it?
    >What proof do you have that all the polishing is totally responsible for any
    >changes?

    The theological implications alone are staggering.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Michael Brown wrote:

    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    > [...]
    >>
    >> For the record, I get the best results if I take the time to lap the
    >> processor also
    >
    > You're kidding, right? Lapping the die is about the fastest way to kill
    > it, only just behind using the CPU as a frisbee. The CPU die itself is
    > optically flat and smooth (or damn close to it anyhow),

    Not in my experience with XP's, Durons, etc. If you drag your fingernail
    across the die surface, you can feel the roughness around the chip
    markings. All it takes is a few seconds on like 1000 plus grit and it takes
    on the appearence of a mirror. A good auto body supply house will have
    wet-n-dry papers up to 14000 grit. Never said I needed to use the rough
    stuff...

    > and the only thing
    > between the die and the air is a very thin (as in several micron)
    > protective layer. Have the CPU a fraction of a degree off being perfectly
    > flat with the sandpaper, or have very slightly uneven pressure applied,
    > and you can kiss your CPU goodbye.

    It's no worse than lapping the heatsink.

    > It *is* possible to lap CPUs with an IHS (P4, A64) or that have a casing
    > (K6's, older GPUs, GF4's in particular with their concave casing).

    K6's? I used to pry the spreader off the chip and then lap the die blob to a
    flat surface. Never killed one in all the years I did it and in fact, I
    still have a server with a lapped k6 in it running 24/7 on my home lan.

    >> (just don't splash the water onto the processor
    >> electronics).
    >
    > You can actually get water all over the CPU, but just make sure that you
    > rinse it off with clean water afterwards and let it dry very well before
    > powering it up :)

    I'm more concerned about washing microscopic bits of lapped metal into or
    under the surface mounted components. I'm just a tad bit careful not to get
    the lapped juices into the works... It just makes good sense.

    Cheers.

    Registered Linux User Number 185956
    FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
    Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
    6:34am up 6 days, 13:58, 4 users, load average: 0.85, 1.00, 1.17
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    So are the monetary!
    <_ _ _> wrote in message news:ifbfh0dpt4ugoe6hhaara5gsa3vjpr8geb@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 17:09:06 -0400, "notritenoteri"
    > <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Have you ever tried just removing the processor and just reinstalling
    it?
    > >What proof do you have that all the polishing is totally responsible for
    any
    > >changes?
    >

    > The theological implications alone are staggering.

AMD Heatsinks Fan Overclocking