is an external drive powered only from usb slower or worse than an external
drive with connected to power
--
niall

"oisin" <oisin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> is an external drive powered only from usb slower or worse than an
> external
> drive with connected to power
> --
> niall

Well, it's drawing power from the base unit, so that has to have enough
power to support running the drive. If it's running off of a laptop running
on batteries, it's not going to last long.

Some USB ports don't have a lot of power, so that could be an issue, or you
could have problems with other USB items that also want to draw power.

And, if you've got your USB ports set to power down to conserve power, you
could turn off the drive at a bad moment.

If this is something you're going to use once in a while to transfer a
little data now and then, maybe the separate power isn't as important. But
if it's something you're going to keep plugged in all the time or for
transferring a lot of data back and forth, I'd go with the powered one. But
that's just my opinion.

much thanks yes laptop will be on ac adaptorpower and its to hold my sons
downloaded material ! niall devine
--
niall