memory

I got a barton 2500 and it's made before the lock of the multiplicator
and it's at the moment running at 12.5\175.The reason I don't raise the
bus speed more is my bad memorys.I got 2 256 pc4000.The brand it's
something like Acer Apacer or something.I think Compac use them in
theirs machines.And that is what I call a bad sign.If I just raise the
bus speed to 176 I get errors running prime 95.I mean these are made to
go in 200 mhz and they want even make 176.And I got the cas and other
settings very slow set it's like 8-4-4-3.Then I read others having the
same mobo as I do(Asus A7N8X rev2 deluxe) running in speeds past 200.I
think I have to get new memory.I saw a sign for memorys called :OCZ
256MB DDR500 PC-4000 EL.I'm thinking of getting two of those.Do somebody
know if they got a good reputation when it comes to tweaking bus speeds
and so on.Please let me know as I don't fancy getting ripped of twice
buying memorys.Regards
al

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

first off if you currently have pc4000 thats ddr500 250x2 to my knowlage
niether acer or apacer makes memory that fast maybe its only pc2100 or 2700
memory if you bought it when the unlocked xp's were around there was not ANY
memory available rated above pc3500

.. wrote:
> first off if you currently have pc4000 thats ddr500 250x2 to my knowlage
> niether acer or apacer makes memory that fast maybe its only pc2100 or 2700
> memory if you bought it when the unlocked xp's were around there was not ANY
> memory available rated above pc3500
> "allan" <u86513780remove@telia.com> wrote in message
>
>>I got a barton 2500 and it's made before the lock of the multiplicator
>>and it's at the moment running at 12.5\175.The reason I don't raise the
>>bus speed more is my bad memorys.I got 2 256 pc4000.The brand it's
>>something like Acer Apacer or something.I think Compac use them in
>>theirs machines.And that is what I call a bad sign.If I just raise the
>>bus speed to 176 I get errors running prime 95.I mean these are made to
>>go in 200 mhz and they want even make 176.And I got the cas and other
>>settings very slow set it's like 8-4-4-3.Then I read others having the
>>same mobo as I do(Asus A7N8X rev2 deluxe) running in speeds past 200.I
>>think I have to get new memory.I saw a sign for memorys called :OCZ
>>256MB DDR500 PC-4000 EL.I'm thinking of getting two of those.Do somebody
>>know if they got a good reputation when it comes to tweaking bus speeds
>>and so on.Please let me know as I don't fancy getting ripped of twice
>>buying memorys.Regards
>>al

I better have a look tomorrow.No idea about the new ones i'm thinking of
buying?
al

In article <2nnau6F2g21kU1@uni-berlin.de>, u86513780remove@telia.com
(allan) wrote:

> I don't fancy getting ripped of twice
> buying memorys

I recently spent *far* too much money buying top end Corsair pc3200 XMS
memory (5,2,2,2.0) because I was sick of struggling to get my 2x512Mb
Twinmos pc3200 (M-tec chips) memory to run faster than 166 without
becoming unstable (in single *or* dual channel mode). I tried it on both
NF7-S(2.0) and DFI Infinity Ultra motherboards and had the same problem.

I also had problems with some older 2x256Mb Corsair pc3500 memory. On the
NF7 it was only stable at 200MHz, but it did run at its rated 217MHz on
the DFI. It wouldn't run any faster though, and others seemed to be
getting more performance out of it, which was frustrating.

Now I can run the new Corsair memory happily (after a little tweaking from
5,2,2,2.0 to 6,3,3,2.5) at 250MHz.

Great? No. Overall I'd say this was a *complete* waste of money. All
benchmarks have improved, but none by more than about 10%... not enough to
justify the significant cost of top end memory.

My advice is to make sure you have a good cooler (I use a Thermaltake
Silent Boost), push your CPU as hard as it will go at 1.80/1.85V, and save
the money you want to spend on faster RAM for a spare CPU. In fact for the
same money you could buy another motherboard, *two* spare CPUs in case you
blow up the first one, and still have some change.

The most important factor in a PC's performance is always raw CPU MHz.
High bandwidth memory helps, and is certainly nice to have. But pushing
the CPU hard is always going to be the most cost effective way to see an
improvement.

Andrew McP