new hardware not functioning

hi folks

have installed two replacement items on a friends budget machine, neither of
which are particularly hi end so should be supported by your average budget pc
1. an ATI radeon 7000 64mb 64 bit graphics card
2. a CMI 8738 7.1 channel sound card

the machines spec is:
amd duron 1.5ghz
256 mb ram
abit kt7a motherboard with award bios v6.00pg
win xp sp2

both items were recognised by windows on first boot after installation
both items are recognised by device manager and show as functioning properly
both items have had the supplied software installed after safe mode boot and
reinstalled with only basic startup items running to avoid conflicts
have checked for updated drivers and known issues on manufacturers sites
have run thru windows troubleshooters

problem is - neither functions!
1. no sound from card at all, neither cd audio or system sounds
2. display is only using standard vga drivers and display properties does
not recognise card. also an error states that the supplied ati software
unloads on boot due to a non ati driver in use?!

so my question is, how come both items are recognised by windows but do not
operate even though supplied drivers have been (correctly i hope) installed?
its not as if the bios or windows doesnt recognise them and how on earth can
device manager say they are ok yet display properties not recognise the
graphics and the sound not function at all?

yours very confused...
8 answers Last reply
More about hardware functioning

    For the Sound I would check under Control Panel/Sounds&Audio devices to see
    if the volume is turned on.
    As for the ATI drivers.........whatever video card he was using the drivers
    still seem to be installed...........they need to be uninstalled thru
    control panel.......while there also unistall everything related to ATI
    driver and their control panel.Reboot and let XP redetect the video
    card.Cancel the new hardware found wizard and then install the ATI(Radeon)
    drivers and the control panel.If you were thinking of using the ATI Control
    Center..dont!!
    get back to us
    peterk

    the problem

    "peterk" wrote:

    > For the Sound I would check under Control Panel/Sounds&Audio devices to see
    > if the volume is turned on.
    > As for the ATI drivers.........whatever video card he was using the drivers
    > still seem to be installed...........they need to be uninstalled thru
    > control panel.......while there also unistall everything related to ATI
    > driver and their control panel.Reboot and let XP redetect the video
    > card.Cancel the new hardware found wizard and then install the ATI(Radeon)
    > drivers and the control panel.If you were thinking of using the ATI Control
    > Center..dont!!
    > get back to us
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
    > the problem
    > "Rivan Guard" <RivanGuard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hi folks
    > >
    > > have installed two replacement items on a friends budget machine, neither
    > > of
    > > which are particularly hi end so should be supported by your average
    > > budget pc
    > > 1. an ATI radeon 7000 64mb 64 bit graphics card
    > > 2. a CMI 8738 7.1 channel sound card
    > >
    > > the machines spec is:
    > > amd duron 1.5ghz
    > > 256 mb ram
    > > abit kt7a motherboard with award bios v6.00pg
    > > win xp sp2
    > >
    > > both items were recognised by windows on first boot after installation
    > > both items are recognised by device manager and show as functioning
    > > properly
    > > both items have had the supplied software installed after safe mode boot
    > > and
    > > reinstalled with only basic startup items running to avoid conflicts
    > > have checked for updated drivers and known issues on manufacturers sites
    > > have run thru windows troubleshooters
    > >
    > > problem is - neither functions!
    > > 1. no sound from card at all, neither cd audio or system sounds
    > > 2. display is only using standard vga drivers and display properties does
    > > not recognise card. also an error states that the supplied ati software
    > > unloads on boot due to a non ati driver in use?!
    > >
    > > so my question is, how come both items are recognised by windows but do
    > > not
    > > operate even though supplied drivers have been (correctly i hope)
    > > installed?
    > > its not as if the bios or windows doesnt recognise them and how on earth
    > > can
    > > device manager say they are ok yet display properties not recognise the
    > > graphics and the sound not function at all?
    > >
    > > yours very confused...

    hi peterk, thanks for the advice,

    have checked the sound, and the volume is on.

    as for the graphics, i think you might be onto something but there's no old
    graphics driver programs appearing in control panel. is there another way of
    finding out if any graphics drivers are still in place? alternatively, if i
    reinstall the old card, then uninstall it from device manager would that
    strip out the old drivers? hopefully then i could install the new card and
    then the ati drivers. or am i being simplistic here?!

    "peterk" wrote:

    > For the Sound I would check under Control Panel/Sounds&Audio devices to see
    > if the volume is turned on.
    > As for the ATI drivers.........whatever video card he was using the drivers
    > still seem to be installed...........they need to be uninstalled thru
    > control panel.......while there also unistall everything related to ATI
    > driver and their control panel.Reboot and let XP redetect the video
    > card.Cancel the new hardware found wizard and then install the ATI(Radeon)
    > drivers and the control panel.If you were thinking of using the ATI Control
    > Center..dont!!
    > get back to us
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
    > the problem
    > "Rivan Guard" <RivanGuard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hi folks
    > >
    > > have installed two replacement items on a friends budget machine, neither
    > > of
    > > which are particularly hi end so should be supported by your average
    > > budget pc
    > > 1. an ATI radeon 7000 64mb 64 bit graphics card
    > > 2. a CMI 8738 7.1 channel sound card
    > >
    > > the machines spec is:
    > > amd duron 1.5ghz
    > > 256 mb ram
    > > abit kt7a motherboard with award bios v6.00pg
    > > win xp sp2
    > >
    > > both items were recognised by windows on first boot after installation
    > > both items are recognised by device manager and show as functioning
    > > properly
    > > both items have had the supplied software installed after safe mode boot
    > > and
    > > reinstalled with only basic startup items running to avoid conflicts
    > > have checked for updated drivers and known issues on manufacturers sites
    > > have run thru windows troubleshooters
    > >
    > > problem is - neither functions!
    > > 1. no sound from card at all, neither cd audio or system sounds
    > > 2. display is only using standard vga drivers and display properties does
    > > not recognise card. also an error states that the supplied ati software
    > > unloads on boot due to a non ati driver in use?!
    > >
    > > so my question is, how come both items are recognised by windows but do
    > > not
    > > operate even though supplied drivers have been (correctly i hope)
    > > installed?
    > > its not as if the bios or windows doesnt recognise them and how on earth
    > > can
    > > device manager say they are ok yet display properties not recognise the
    > > graphics and the sound not function at all?
    > >
    > > yours very confused...

    Boot up in safe mode, and you may see the old drivers/hardware listed.

> [...]
    >> > sites
    >> > have run thru windows troubleshooters
    >> >
    >> > problem is - neither functions!
    >> > 1. no sound from card at all, neither cd audio or system sounds
    >> > 2. display is only using standard vga drivers and display properties
    >> > does
    >> > not recognise card. also an error states that the supplied ati software
    >> > unloads on boot due to a non ati driver in use?!
    >> >
    >> > so my question is, how come both items are recognised by windows but do
    >> > not
    >> > operate even though supplied drivers have been (correctly i hope)
    >> > installed?
    >> > its not as if the bios or windows doesnt recognise them and how on
    >> > earth
    >> > can
    >> > device manager say they are ok yet display properties not recognise the
    >> > graphics and the sound not function at all?

    The drivers are still in the system when you "un-install" the card in Device
    Manager. Check in Add/Remove programs and remove any/all listed drivers
    there. Also, you may want to consider install "Driver Cleaner PE" which
    normally "clears" out any left-over driver files. This only does the most
    widely known drivers.

> [...]
    >> > sites
    >> > have run thru windows troubleshooters
    >> >
    >> > problem is - neither functions!
    >> > 1. no sound from card at all, neither cd audio or system sounds
    >> > 2. display is only using standard vga drivers and display properties
    >> > does
    >> > not recognise card. also an error states that the supplied ati software
    >> > unloads on boot due to a non ati driver in use?!
    >> >
    >> > so my question is, how come both items are recognised by windows but do
    >> > not
    >> > operate even though supplied drivers have been (correctly i hope)
    >> > installed?
    >> > its not as if the bios or windows doesnt recognise them and how on
    >> > earth
    >> > can
    >> > device manager say they are ok yet display properties not recognise the
    >> > graphics and the sound not function at all?

    If you used to have a ATI video card on their website you will find an
    uninstaller that when run will delete everything related to ATI.
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=293
    If you had an Nvidea card you will find the same thing on their website.
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=5

    let us know
> [...]

    >> > sites
    >> > have run thru windows troubleshooters
    >> >
    >> > problem is - neither functions!
    >> > 1. no sound from card at all, neither cd audio or system sounds
    >> > 2. display is only using standard vga drivers and display properties
    >> > does
    >> > not recognise card. also an error states that the supplied ati software
    >> > unloads on boot due to a non ati driver in use?!
    >> >
    >> > so my question is, how come both items are recognised by windows but do
    >> > not
    >> > operate even though supplied drivers have been (correctly i hope)
    >> > installed?
    >> > its not as if the bios or windows doesnt recognise them and how on
    >> > earth
    >> > can
    >> > device manager say they are ok yet display properties not recognise the
    >> > graphics and the sound not function at all?

    here's the latest...

    solved the sound card issue, that was a conflict with the dial up modem in
    another pci slot.
    graphics card still not sorted tho. have uninstalled the card and then
    booted into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner to clear out any remaining
    driver files. also removed all other pci cards to ensure no conflicts. still
    get the error message on boot -

    "ATI Control Panel is unloading because an ATI Driver is not in use or is
    not working properly"

    Windows then continues to run the graphics on basic vga drivers. So for some
    reason although there are clean ATI drivers installed and no hardware
    conflicts windows will not use them. Anyone got any ideas why windows is
    being so stubborn? Is there something running/ not running that prevents the
    drivers from being used? have booted into a selective startup to eliminate
    non essential services and startup items but still no success. can't see
    anything in system services either, but the old card was working fine so
    can't be anything to do with that.

    getting more and more confused...

Hardware Windows XP