Run AthlonXP 2400+ T-Bred at 200MHz FSB to utilize PC3200 ..

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2004 11:17:45 PM

Hi,

Not sure how much of an overclocking question this is, but I figure this
group would be clued about this situation...

I've been considering a memory upgrade and am having trouble deciding,
based on researching web/newsgroup articles, whether what I have in mind
makes sense.

I have an MSI KT6V-LSR Mobo (yeah... it's el cheapo) which supports
400MHz FSB (on paper, at least), an AthlonXP 2400+ T-Bred running at
the standard 133FSB*15, and 256 MB of vanilla Kingston PC2100 RAM.

I have my eye on 512MB of OCZ enhanced latency PC3200 RAM. In order
to actually take advantage of the 400MHz frequency of this memory,
I presume I'd need to set the FSB to 200MHz, which would yield an
effective freq of 400MHz on Socket-A with AthlonXP, right?

If that's correct, I have two questions for which I haven't yet found
definitive answers.

1) Would it be safe (and reasonable) to set the clock/multiplier to
200*10 for the 2400+ T-Bred on this Mobo? (I seem to find differing
opinions on this.)

2) My main goal is to get all the performance I can for gaming on a
Radeon 9800pro. Would there be a worthwhile performance boost on this
system going from vanilla PC2100 to the low latency OCZ PC3200? (Maybe
it makes more cost/performance sense to just throw another 256MB of the
vanilla Kingston at it <shrug>).

Any thoughts/opinions/pointers welcome. (Especially welcome would be
pointers to well written websites that help explain the relationships
between CPU/RAM and FSB speed.)

Thanks,
Jonathan

--
Don't just hit reply. Email address is broken. Thank
your friendly neighborhood spammer. Email replies to:

"Jonathan A." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Not sure how much of an overclocking question this is, but I figure this
> group would be clued about this situation...
>
> I've been considering a memory upgrade and am having trouble deciding,
> based on researching web/newsgroup articles, whether what I have in mind
> makes sense.
>
> I have an MSI KT6V-LSR Mobo (yeah... it's el cheapo) which supports
> 400MHz FSB (on paper, at least), an AthlonXP 2400+ T-Bred running at
> the standard 133FSB*15, and 256 MB of vanilla Kingston PC2100 RAM.
>
> I have my eye on 512MB of OCZ enhanced latency PC3200 RAM. In order
> to actually take advantage of the 400MHz frequency of this memory,
> I presume I'd need to set the FSB to 200MHz, which would yield an
> effective freq of 400MHz on Socket-A with AthlonXP, right?
>
> If that's correct, I have two questions for which I haven't yet found
> definitive answers.
>
> 1) Would it be safe (and reasonable) to set the clock/multiplier to
> 200*10 for the 2400+ T-Bred on this Mobo? (I seem to find differing
> opinions on this.)
>
> 2) My main goal is to get all the performance I can for gaming on a
> Radeon 9800pro. Would there be a worthwhile performance boost on this
> system going from vanilla PC2100 to the low latency OCZ PC3200? (Maybe
> it makes more cost/performance sense to just throw another 256MB of the
> vanilla Kingston at it <shrug>).
>
> Any thoughts/opinions/pointers welcome. (Especially welcome would be
> pointers to well written websites that help explain the relationships
> between CPU/RAM and FSB speed.)
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan
>
> --
> Don't just hit reply. Email address is broken. Thank
> your friendly neighborhood spammer. Email replies to:
> user: jnthn1 domain: earthlink<dot>net

A few things to keep in mind.
133 MHz FSB x 2 = 266
What this is, is.
133 MHz for the rising edge of the clock
133 MHz for the falling edge of the clock
@ least that's what I got when I e-mailed AMD on this question.
I asked what the true FSB was.

On my system, 2200+ I can get as far as 170 + but I don't remember
how much over it left me go before it became unstable.
In other words, you probably won't be able to hit the (DDR400) Mark.
the Barton core I think is the only chip AMD has that hits it, without
going 64 Bit.
Your best bet is to get PC2700 (DDR333)
Kingmax is very nice for the price.
But you could also go OCZ, which I hear is very good ram too.
If you want to go for it anyway, do it.
Who knows, maybe sometime down the road you might upgrade to another cpu
that has a 200 x 2 = 400 FSB cpu @ stock.
Then it's still good to go with (DDR400) it won't hurt anything to run it at
lesser speed anyway.

Denny. :-) ;-)

If I put (DDR400) in my A7N8X board, and set the ram to it's default, my
board won't even boot.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2004 5:59:01 AM

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:41:37 -0400, Dennis E Strausser Jr
<dstrausser33@comcast.net> appears to have said:

> "Jonathan A." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I have my eye on 512MB of OCZ enhanced latency PC3200 RAM. In order
>> to actually take advantage of the 400MHz frequency of this memory,
>> I presume I'd need to set the FSB to 200MHz, which would yield an
>> effective freq of 400MHz on Socket-A with AthlonXP, right?
>>
>> 1) Would it be safe (and reasonable) to set the clock/multiplier to
>> 200*10 for the 2400+ T-Bred on this Mobo? (I seem to find differing
>> opinions on this.)
>>
>> 2) My main goal is to get all the performance I can for gaming on a
>> Radeon 9800pro. Would there be a worthwhile performance boost on this
>> system going from vanilla PC2100 to the low latency OCZ PC3200? (Maybe
>> it makes more cost/performance sense to just throw another 256MB of the
>> vanilla Kingston at it <shrug>).
>
> On my system, 2200+ I can get as far as 170 + but I don't remember
> how much over it left me go before it became unstable.
> In other words, you probably won't be able to hit the (DDR400) Mark.
> the Barton core I think is the only chip AMD has that hits it, without
> going 64 Bit.

Yeah... I think so. I could swear I had seen people saying they were
running XP 2400+ chips at 200MHz FSB, but maybe not.

> Your best bet is to get PC2700 (DDR333)
> Kingmax is very nice for the price.
> But you could also go OCZ, which I hear is very good ram too.
> If you want to go for it anyway, do it.
> Who knows, maybe sometime down the road you might upgrade to another cpu
> that has a 200 x 2 = 400 FSB cpu @ stock.
> Then it's still good to go with (DDR400) it won't hurt anything to run it at
> lesser speed anyway.

I probably will. After all... it's only 15.00 more at Newegg to get the
OCZ PC3200 over OCZ PC2700 with similar timings. Then if I ever decide I
want to max this board out with a Barton, at least my memory will be in
sync with it.

I'll have a look into Kingmax as well.

> Denny. :-) ;-)
>
> If I put (DDR400) in my A7N8X board, and set the ram to it's default, my
> board won't even boot.

Hmm... it should run 400, no? Is it an older model? According to
<http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview....;, the
ones that were built before v2.0 can have BIOS flashed to support
FSB 400. Maybe you need to update.

Anyhow... thanks for the input.

ciao,
Jonathan

--
Don't just hit reply. Email address is broken. Thank
your friendly neighborhood spammer. Email replies to:
user: jnthn1 domain: earthlink<dot>net
August 11, 2004 8:09:24 PM

its should be ok depending on ur motherboard tbh

i ran a xp2400+ in my nf7-s v2.0 at 200 fsb
the good thing about my xp2400+ was it was an unlocked factory cpu, so could
juggle the multiplier, the abit nf7-s has cpu/fsb divider dunno wether urs
does.
as for an asus a7n8x /me laughs at it not being able to run at 200mhz fsb

i am now runnin an xp2500+ mobile cpu like a lot of people now at 2.5ghz
its a sweet cpu

!