Athlon XP Mobile Question - What motherboard?

Does this CPU require a special motherboard? Will any decent athlon
motherboard work okay. I have micro atx asrock motherboard.

Motherboard:

ASRock "K7S41GX" SiS741GX Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU

Would I need a motherboard upgrade?

Thanks,

Alan

You need a board that has multiplier manual control.
Mobiles default to 6x multiplier on desktop boards, so you need to be able
to override it to something higher.

"Post Replies Here Please" <spamme@edge.net> wrote in message

> Does this CPU require a special motherboard? Will any decent athlon
> motherboard work okay. I have micro atx asrock motherboard.
>
> Motherboard:
>

> ASRock "K7S41GX" SiS741GX Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU
>

> Would I need a motherboard upgrade?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan

Ed

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 06:41:52 +0100, "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com>
wrote:

>You need a board that has multiplier manual control.
>Mobiles default to 6x multiplier on desktop boards, so you need to be able
>to override it to something higher.

So if my board only goes to 12.5x with an unlocked Barton in it now I
would have the same settings with a XP-M chip?
thnx, Ed

morgan

> So if my board only goes to 12.5x with an unlocked Barton in it now I
> would have the same settings with a XP-M chip?
> thnx, Ed

I have read that the multiplier on a mobile CPU goes up to 14x. I am not
sure if that is correct or not, mine is running at 12.5x and I have tried
13x and that works as well. Providing that there is no board limitation,
with the multiplier, I can't see a reason why it shouldn't go up to 14x -
with the understanding of what I read being correct.

My mobile CPU is the XP2600.

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive noisy....
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

Ed wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 06:41:52 +0100, "BigBadger"
> <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>> You need a board that has multiplier manual control.
>> Mobiles default to 6x multiplier on desktop boards, so you need to
>> be able to override it to something higher.
>
> So if my board only goes to 12.5x with an unlocked Barton in it now I
> would have the same settings with a XP-M chip?
> thnx, Ed

Yes.

There's nothing stopping you modifying the chip (either your unlocked Barton
or the mobile) to get get higher multipliers however :)

You can also use any of the various PowerNow multiplier changers (if your
board is not an nForce1/2) to change the multiplier in Windows. You'll need
to fill in the second L5 to get access to multipliers above the default
maximum.

--
Michael Brown

My Abit NF7-S 2.0 runs my Mobile 2500 at 2.5ghz stable as, at mem
timings of 2.2.3.5 at 200mhz FSB :)

Iam pretty happy with that, though will try to go higher as soon as i
get some more info on the subject iam trying for 2.7ghz, air cooled
maybe more water cooled 3.0 ghz would be FANTASTIC, though prob at
lower memory timings :(

Hope this helps.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:33:27 +1200, "Michael Brown"
<see@signature.below> wrote:

>Ed wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 06:41:52 +0100, "BigBadger"
>> <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You need a board that has multiplier manual control.
>>> Mobiles default to 6x multiplier on desktop boards, so you need to
>>> be able to override it to something higher.
>>
>> So if my board only goes to 12.5x with an unlocked Barton in it now I
>> would have the same settings with a XP-M chip?
>> thnx, Ed
>
>Yes.
>
>There's nothing stopping you modifying the chip (either your unlocked Barton
>or the mobile) to get get higher multipliers however :)
>
>You can also use any of the various PowerNow multiplier changers (if your
>board is not an nForce1/2) to change the multiplier in Windows. You'll need
>to fill in the second L5 to get access to multipliers above the default
>maximum.

HELLO NURSE.

"Michael Brown"

> You can also use any of the various PowerNow multiplier changers (if your
> board is not an nForce1/2) to change the multiplier in Windows. You'll
need
> to fill in the second L5 to get access to multipliers above the default
> maximum.

Can't find them on Google. Do you have the url's?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed Light wrote:
> "Michael Brown"
>

>> You can also use any of the various PowerNow multiplier changers (if
>> your board is not an nForce1/2) to change the multiplier in Windows.
>> You'll need to fill in the second L5 to get access to multipliers
>> above the default maximum.
>
> Can't find them on Google. Do you have the url's?

CrystalCPUID
http://crystalmark.info/

CPUMSR:
http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm

K7DFID:
http://www.emboss.co.nz/k7d/downloads/old/K7DFID.0.1.zip
http://www.emboss.co.nz/k7d/downloads/old/K7DFID.0.12.zip
(I forgot to include the driver in the 0.12 zipfile ... oops :) )

I'm pretty cure there's other ones out there too. The success rate of each
varies a lot. Some may be able to change from one multi to another and
another one may not. It's pretty much luck of the draw :)

--
Michael Brown

BiPolar

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message news:<fJDTc.7356$yh.3787@fed1read05>...
> Lovely!
>
> "Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote
>

> > CrystalCPUID
> > http://crystalmark.info/
> >
> > CPUMSR:
> > http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm
> >
> > K7DFID:
> > http://www.emboss.co.nz/k7d/downloads/old/K7DFID.0.1.zip
> > http://www.emboss.co.nz/k7d/downloads/old/K7DFID.0.12.zip
> > (I forgot to include the driver in the 0.12 zipfile ... oops :) )

HOwever, it is better to raise your FSB than your multiple.

"BiPolar" <jlevin17@hotmail.com> wrote
> HOwever, it is better to raise your FSB than your multiple.
Because you're speeding "everything" up?
I've just got Corsair Value Select memory. I don't think it can take it.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\