Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Death of 2500+...

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2004 8:13:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Some strange thing happened today with my Barton 2500+.
I tested some AMD procs. in various FSB's to compare results. When I put
back my B2500+, on boot MB by default set it to lowest FSB, 100 MHz. I
entered BIOS to change it to it's working freq. 166 FSB and then I saw
temperature was about 50C and rising! I instantly turned off computer
and then turned it back on in 10 minutes. No boot. Barton died. Tried it
on another comp...Dead! BIOS reset also didn't help. It's still under
warranty and I will return it. There is no sign of phisical damage, or
overheating, looks perfectly normal. I turned off computer for 10
minutes between changing processors for testing. I'm 100% sure I mounted
cooler properily (you can't miss it even if you would like to with
Zalman). I really don't have idea what happened. PSU is 300W, MB A7N8X-X....
What do you think went wrong? Could it be PSU? Or something else?

By SysCold

More about : death 2500

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2004 6:59:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 04:13:57 +0200, SysCold <syscold@net4u.hr>
wrote:

>Some strange thing happened today with my Barton 2500+.
>I tested some AMD procs. in various FSB's to compare results. When I put
>back my B2500+, on boot MB by default set it to lowest FSB, 100 MHz. I
>entered BIOS to change it to it's working freq. 166 FSB and then I saw
>temperature was about 50C and rising! I instantly turned off computer
>and then turned it back on in 10 minutes. No boot. Barton died. Tried it
>on another comp...Dead! BIOS reset also didn't help. It's still under
>warranty and I will return it. There is no sign of phisical damage, or
>overheating, looks perfectly normal. I turned off computer for 10
>minutes between changing processors for testing. I'm 100% sure I mounted
>cooler properily (you can't miss it even if you would like to with
>Zalman). I really don't have idea what happened. PSU is 300W, MB A7N8X-X....
>What do you think went wrong? Could it be PSU? Or something else?
>
>By SysCold

Only 4 likely possibilities,

1) Bios or jumper set to very high vcore instead of default.

2) Heatsink improperly mounted, even though you claim not... the
most likely problem.

3) Motherboard failure... see if board still works with another
CPU.

4) Excessive stress on CPU core, or flaw in core, caused
physical damage while installing heatsink. Doesn't seem likely
though, that it'd still work yet overheat... so I suppose it
isn't really "likely" at all.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2004 4:34:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Matt wrote:
> kony wrote:
>
>> 2) Heatsink improperly mounted, even though you claim not... the
>> most likely problem.
>
>
> The OP didn't mention whether or how he used thermal compound on the
> heatsink.

Used every time, plenty of it...

By SysCold
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2004 9:02:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote in message
news:1iaSc.11616$N77.516909@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Matt wrote:
> > kony wrote:
> >
> >> 2) Heatsink improperly mounted, even though you claim not... the
> >> most likely problem.
> >
> > The OP didn't mention whether or how he used thermal compound on the
> > heatsink.
>
> Doesn't make that big a difference for short-term use. I often fire up a
> system without thermal compound if I'm testing it. (When you swap as many
> CPUs in and out in a day as I sometimes do......) As long as the die and
the
> HS surfaces are good it only makes a few degrees difference. The only
thing
> you have to be careful about is that there is no physical barrier, no
> "grease" (as much as I hate the term for TIM) so die-damage is more likely
> if you're not careful.
> --
> ~misfit~
>
>
Hey ~misfit~
So at 1.75 volts and at 2.5ghz did i just get lucky LOL LOL LOL LOL
LOL :p 

Iam going for 3ghz, just need that water cooling kit :) 

cooling, for one reason or another it seems to sound like a way to make up a
new name, but
keep using the old one too to keep people guessing.
Would this sound like,,,, a joke?
SysCold OCZ Guy ahh, something in between there, but don't rmemeber....
"We Live For The One etc ,, é,huh?"
Denny. (Dennis E Strausser Jr) And sometimes RavingRaichu. ;-) :-)
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2004 9:02:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:1iaSc.11616$N77.516909@news.xtra.co.nz...
>
>>Matt wrote:
>>
>>>kony wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>2) Heatsink improperly mounted, even though you claim not... the
>>>>most likely problem.
>>>
>>>The OP didn't mention whether or how he used thermal compound on the
>>>heatsink.
>>
>>Doesn't make that big a difference for short-term use. I often fire up a
>>system without thermal compound if I'm testing it. (When you swap as many
>>CPUs in and out in a day as I sometimes do......) As long as the die and
>
> the
>
>>HS surfaces are good it only makes a few degrees difference. The only
>
> thing
>
>>you have to be careful about is that there is no physical barrier, no
>>"grease" (as much as I hate the term for TIM) so die-damage is more likely
>>if you're not careful.
>>--
>>~misfit~
>>
>>
>
> Hey ~misfit~
> So at 1.75 volts and at 2.5ghz did i just get lucky LOL LOL LOL LOL
> LOL :p 
>
> Iam going for 3ghz, just need that water cooling kit :) 
>
> cooling, for one reason or another it seems to sound like a way to make up a
> new name, but
> keep using the old one too to keep people guessing.
> Would this sound like,,,, a joke?
> SysCold OCZ Guy ahh, something in between there, but don't rmemeber....
> "We Live For The One etc ,, é,huh?"
> Denny. (Dennis E Strausser Jr) And sometimes RavingRaichu. ;-) :-)


I don't think that was because of overclocking. I mean, how could it be?
BTW, I bought water cooling Thermaltake Aquarius III. And it's just
great... well it was, something went wrong with water pump. It's way too
loud, this too is going where it came from.....TODAY!

By SysCold
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2004 5:03:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"SysCold" <syscold@net4u.hr> escreveu na mensagem
news:cfcspc$eq5$2@brown.net4u.hr...
> >
> > The OP didn't mention whether or how he used thermal compound on the
> > heatsink.
>
> Used every time, plenty of it...
>
> By SysCold

Maybe that´s the problem.. to much thermal compound.
And you put the MoBo FSB to 166MHz... take could make the athlon "die",
depending on its multiplicator.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2004 10:21:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:03:29 -0300, "Charles Bronson"
<charlesbronson@deathwish.zzn.com> wrote:

>
>"SysCold" <syscold@net4u.hr> escreveu na mensagem
>news:cfcspc$eq5$2@brown.net4u.hr...
>> >
>> > The OP didn't mention whether or how he used thermal compound on the
>> > heatsink.
>>
>> Used every time, plenty of it...
>>
>> By SysCold
>
>Maybe that´s the problem.. to much thermal compound.
>And you put the MoBo FSB to 166MHz... take could make the athlon "die",
>depending on its multiplicator.
>

NO, setting the FSB to 166 MHz CANNOT possibly make it die.
If it overheated, that'd crash it, not still running, and
without a vcore increase the additional heating from higher
FSB is not sufficient to create a sudden hazzardous critical
temp beyond that causing a crash. In other words, it isn't
going to happen without other changes like vcore set higher
or heatsink not making contact as would effect any speed,
not just 166 FSB.
!