Notebook & Gumbo
Is the KB stuck or the motherboard fried?

A Gateway Solo 9550 notebook was gave to me. The mom found the little
daughter after she spilled some gumbo on the floor where the notebook was
sitting (at?)

The HD (IBM Transtar) was removed and booted in a ComPAQ OK and the data
transferred.

But after the HD was reinstalled in the Gateway Solo 9500 it will not boot
past the BIOS screen.

It boots to the BIOS screen and hangs there with a message, "To change BIOS
settings, press <F2> To display system messages, press <ESC>. Hitting
every key will not make anything happen. Is the KB stuck?

There is not liquid that I can see. Of course I have not removed the
motherboard. Should I order a eBay Gateway Solo 9550 Laptop Keyboard 7003493
for $15.00 and try that?

If it boots to the BIOS screen;
1. The HD is good?
2. The Mother board is good?
3. The KB is stuck?

Excuse my Cajun Spelling - Thank you for your time and help is reading this
message - Gary @ New Orleans

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Leave the laptop somewhere warm (not hot) for a few days, like an airing
cupboard or warm room, to dry it out properly, then try it again.

Keyboards are easily damaged by liquid, so if drying out doesn't work $15
for a new one has got to be worth a try

<LsuEdu@bellsouth.net-REMOVE> wrote in message
> Notebook & Gumbo
> Is the KB stuck or the motherboard fried?
>
> A Gateway Solo 9550 notebook was gave to me. The mom found the little
> daughter after she spilled some gumbo on the floor where the notebook was
> sitting (at?)
>
> The HD (IBM Transtar) was removed and booted in a ComPAQ OK and the data
> transferred.
>
> But after the HD was reinstalled in the Gateway Solo 9500 it will not boot
> past the BIOS screen.
>
> It boots to the BIOS screen and hangs there with a message, "To change
BIOS
> settings, press <F2> To display system messages, press <ESC>. Hitting
> every key will not make anything happen. Is the KB stuck?
>
> There is not liquid that I can see. Of course I have not removed the
> motherboard. Should I order a eBay Gateway Solo 9550 Laptop Keyboard
7003493
> for $15.00 and try that?
>
> If it boots to the BIOS screen;
> 1. The HD is good?
> 2. The Mother board is good?
> 3. The KB is stuck?
>
> Excuse my Cajun Spelling - Thank you for your time and help is reading
this
> message - Gary @ New Orleans

NOTE: This is a laptop! The keyboard is integrated into it so much that it
may not only cost $15.00 to replace it.

"Neil" <neil@funkcity.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Leave the laptop somewhere warm (not hot) for a few days, like an airing
> cupboard or warm room, to dry it out properly, then try it again.
>
> Keyboards are easily damaged by liquid, so if drying out doesn't work $15
> for a new one has got to be worth a try
>
> <LsuEdu@bellsouth.net-REMOVE> wrote in message
>> Notebook & Gumbo
>> Is the KB stuck or the motherboard fried?
>>
>> A Gateway Solo 9550 notebook was gave to me. The mom found the little
>> daughter after she spilled some gumbo on the floor where the notebook was
>> sitting (at?)
>>
>> The HD (IBM Transtar) was removed and booted in a ComPAQ OK and the data
>> transferred.
>>
>> But after the HD was reinstalled in the Gateway Solo 9500 it will not
>> boot
>> past the BIOS screen.
>>
>> It boots to the BIOS screen and hangs there with a message, "To change
> BIOS
>> settings, press <F2> To display system messages, press <ESC>. Hitting
>> every key will not make anything happen. Is the KB stuck?
>>
>> There is not liquid that I can see. Of course I have not removed the
>> motherboard. Should I order a eBay Gateway Solo 9550 Laptop Keyboard
> 7003493
>> for $15.00 and try that?
>>
>> If it boots to the BIOS screen;
>> 1. The HD is good?
>> 2. The Mother board is good?
>> 3. The KB is stuck?
>>
>> Excuse my Cajun Spelling - Thank you for your time and help is reading
> this
>> message - Gary @ New Orleans

Thanks to both of you for the help. Gateway wants over $300.00 so I will go
with the eBay KB: "The approximate charge involved in the service is
$299.00. This charge may vary if any additional components need to be
replaced or any undisclosed information is found. "

The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his
absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must
delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to
be a great power among men.

Winston Churchill - London, England
http://www.winstonchurchill.org
=======================================

> NOTE: This is a laptop! The keyboard is integrated into it so much that
> it may not only cost $15.00 to replace it.
>

> "Neil" <neil@funkcity.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Leave the laptop somewhere warm (not hot) for a few days, like an airing
>> cupboard or warm room, to dry it out properly, then try it again.
>>
>> Keyboards are easily damaged by liquid, so if drying out doesn't work $15
>> for a new one has got to be worth a try
>>
>> <LsuEdu@bellsouth.net-REMOVE> wrote in message
>>> Notebook & Gumbo
>>> Is the KB stuck or the motherboard fried?
>>>
>>> A Gateway Solo 9550 notebook was gave to me. The mom found the little
>>> daughter after she spilled some gumbo on the floor where the notebook
>>> was
>>> sitting (at?)
>>>
>>> The HD (IBM Transtar) was removed and booted in a ComPAQ OK and the data
>>> transferred.
>>>
>>> But after the HD was reinstalled in the Gateway Solo 9500 it will not
>>> boot
>>> past the BIOS screen.
>>>
>>> It boots to the BIOS screen and hangs there with a message, "To change
>> BIOS
>>> settings, press <F2> To display system messages, press <ESC>. Hitting
>>> every key will not make anything happen. Is the KB stuck?
>>>
>>> There is not liquid that I can see. Of course I have not removed the
>>> motherboard. Should I order a eBay Gateway Solo 9550 Laptop Keyboard
>> 7003493
>>> for $15.00 and try that?
>>>
>>> If it boots to the BIOS screen;
>>> 1. The HD is good?