Overclocking AMD 64 3200+

Hey all, first off thanks for everyones help in recent posts. I've
finally come to the end when I'm about ready to go.

Here's what I've got.

AMD 64 3200+ CPU
MSI K8N Neo Platinum Mobo
2x512MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 (unpurchased)
eVGA nVidia GeForce 5900 SE
WD Raptor II 74GB 10000RPM
Etc.

The memory I'm using has 2-2-2-5 timings @ DDR400, 2.5-2-2-5 timings @
DDR500 @ 2.65V, and 2.5-2-2-5 timings @ DDR514. I am using air
cooling with a Cooler Master Vortex Dream -
http://www.directron.com/accu72.html

The CPU/Mobo hit a max overclock of 246x10 at the stock multiplier and
CPU voltage. I would like to run my memory at at close to DDR500 +/-

Should I go with 246x10? or drop the multiplier and go a bit above
DDR500?
The only alternative really is 257x9, but that would cost me 147Mhz in
CPU speed in exchange for DDR514 as opposed to DDR492..

I have not bought my memory yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks a ton,

Rich

timc

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2004

Here is my system, about 2 months old. The Corsair are very nice. Even
though I don't need the "matched" set, they were not much more than
non-matched. My 2-2-2-5 timings worked with no problems. Had no
problems with build. I have no benchmarks, but DOOM3 rocks on it. That
says a lot.

MSI K8N Neo Platinum nForce3 250Gb (MS-7030)
Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 754 (Clawhammer) w/factory HS
Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL (2-2-2-5 latency)
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB Serial ATA
Antec Sonata Quiet Mid Tower with True380 PSU
WinXP Pro

-Tim

xodin@laww.biz (Rich Lowe) wrote in message news:<16920108.0408110802.43abe277@posting.google.com>...
> Hey all, first off thanks for everyones help in recent posts. I've
> finally come to the end when I'm about ready to go.
>
> Here's what I've got.
>
> AMD 64 3200+ CPU
> MSI K8N Neo Platinum Mobo
> 2x512MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 (unpurchased)
> eVGA nVidia GeForce 5900 SE
> WD Raptor II 74GB 10000RPM
> Etc.
>
> The memory I'm using has 2-2-2-5 timings @ DDR400, 2.5-2-2-5 timings @
> DDR500 @ 2.65V, and 2.5-2-2-5 timings @ DDR514. I am using air
> cooling with a Cooler Master Vortex Dream -
> http://www.directron.com/accu72.html
>
> The CPU/Mobo hit a max overclock of 246x10 at the stock multiplier and
> CPU voltage. I would like to run my memory at at close to DDR500 +/-
>
> Should I go with 246x10? or drop the multiplier and go a bit above
> DDR500?
> The only alternative really is 257x9, but that would cost me 147Mhz in
> CPU speed in exchange for DDR514 as opposed to DDR492..
>
> I have not bought my memory yet. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks a ton,
>
> Rich

So you aren't overclocking it at all?