XP Cannot detect file system on a secondary disk

August 11, 2005 10:02:00 AM

Hi:

I have a Western Digital 200 GB secondary internal hard disk, which has been
working fine for the last couple of years. Recently, while trying to access
this disk, Windows pops a message saying "The disk in this drive is not
formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

Windows Device Manager indicates that the drive is working properly.

I ran Western Digital diagnostic tests on the drive, and they too indicate
that there is nothing wrong with the drive.

However, looking at the drive properties in Disk Management, the OS is not
able to detect a file ststem on the drive, and thinks that 100% space is
available for use.

Is there anything I can do to retrieve my data from the drive without having
to go to data recovery providers who are known to charge an arm and a leg?

Thanks.
SPH
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:13:01 AM

Trying to access the drive from the command prompt, I get the following
message:

The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that
the volume is not corrupted.

While trying to run chkdsk, I get the following message:

The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

-SPH

"SPH" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have a Western Digital 200 GB secondary internal hard disk, which has been
> working fine for the last couple of years. Recently, while trying to access
> this disk, Windows pops a message saying "The disk in this drive is not
> formatted. Do you want to format it now?"
>
> Windows Device Manager indicates that the drive is working properly.
>
> I ran Western Digital diagnostic tests on the drive, and they too indicate
> that there is nothing wrong with the drive.
>
> However, looking at the drive properties in Disk Management, the OS is not
> able to detect a file ststem on the drive, and thinks that 100% space is
> available for use.
>
> Is there anything I can do to retrieve my data from the drive without having
> to go to data recovery providers who are known to charge an arm and a leg?
>
> Thanks.
> SPH
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:44:29 PM

You didn't mention what the internal drive is formatted as? Anyway, does
the drive work correctly on a friends computer? If so, maybe you could
burn the data to CD that _your_ computer won't recognize.
Next error message: (cannot read data on CD) grin.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

August 11, 2005 1:44:30 PM

The internal drive is formatted as a NTFS.

I have not tired to get it to another computer yet. Will try that next.

SPH

"Treeman" wrote:

> You didn't mention what the internal drive is formatted as? Anyway, does
> the drive work correctly on a friends computer? If so, maybe you could
> burn the data to CD that _your_ computer won't recognize.
> Next error message: (cannot read data on CD) grin.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

August 11, 2005 2:04:00 PM

Update;
Windows to support RAW files in XP and Longhorn.

You can get limited viewing support via download for Windows XP today;
however, native support will be built into Longhorn, er Vista;
'Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP'
(http://tinyurl.com/c4z28)
Good Luck,
Treeman

--
Treeman

August 11, 2005 3:30:43 PM

SPH <sameer.phadke@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I have a Western Digital 200 GB secondary internal hard disk, which has been
>working fine for the last couple of years. Recently, while trying to access
>this disk, Windows pops a message saying "The disk in this drive is not
>formatted. Do you want to format it now?"
>
>Windows Device Manager indicates that the drive is working properly.
>
>I ran Western Digital diagnostic tests on the drive, and they too indicate
>that there is nothing wrong with the drive.
>
>However, looking at the drive properties in Disk Management, the OS is not
>able to detect a file ststem on the drive, and thinks that 100% space is
>available for use.
>
>Is there anything I can do to retrieve my data from the drive without having
>to go to data recovery providers who are known to charge an arm and a leg?
>
>Thanks.
>SPH

Windows is detecting the drive and assigning it a drive letter?

Then try using (from a command prompt windows):

CHKDSK (drive letter:)  /R

and see what it reports.

But try using the drive in another computer first, and see if it is
recognized properly there. If so then it is more likely to be a cable
or controller issue on your computer rather than a problem with the
drive's data structure.

And if CHKDSK cannot recover the drive for you your next alternative
would be Spinrite 6 from Gibson Research (www.grc.com)

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
July 7, 2009 5:44:18 PM

I'm having the same problem and I have found that if I reboot the computer in "Safe Mode" I am able to fix the problem.

Saint Yukon
!