Mobile athlon on Desktop motherboard

Daniel

If I'm installing a MOBILE AMD Athlon XP-M 2600+ on a desktop motherboard
(Gigabyte GA-7DXE), is there anything different I have to do, compared to if
I installed a normal Athlon XP 2600+ ?

The motherboard supports the normal 266MHz 2600+, will it see the mobile one
as the same processor?

Do I need to change anything for the lower voltage, or will that be
automatic?

Thanks,
Daniel

I am in the middle of installing a Mobile XP 2000+ into my ASUS A7V266E
mobo and have the same question. In my research so far it seems that it
should run fine and with the jumper free settings set, it should make the
necessary adjustments.
I would be very interested to hear what other people know about the
mobile XP in a desktop installation situation. Cheers.

Matt

"Daniel" <zen6575@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> If I'm installing a MOBILE AMD Athlon XP-M 2600+ on a desktop motherboard
> (Gigabyte GA-7DXE), is there anything different I have to do, compared to
if
> I installed a normal Athlon XP 2600+ ?
>
> The motherboard supports the normal 266MHz 2600+, will it see the mobile
one
> as the same processor?
>
> Do I need to change anything for the lower voltage, or will that be
> automatic?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

Tim

"Daniel" <zen6575@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> If I'm installing a MOBILE AMD Athlon XP-M 2600+ on a desktop motherboard
> (Gigabyte GA-7DXE), is there anything different I have to do, compared to
if
> I installed a normal Athlon XP 2600+ ?
>
> The motherboard supports the normal 266MHz 2600+, will it see the mobile
one
> as the same processor?
>
> Do I need to change anything for the lower voltage, or will that be
> automatic?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

I have an Abit NF7-S and it did detect the proper settings for my mobile
2600+, even though it lists it as "Unidentified Processor" during startup.
I would assume that the latest BIOS revision would give your motherboard the
best chance at autodetecting the settings.

> If I'm installing a MOBILE AMD Athlon XP-M 2600+ on a desktop motherboard
> (Gigabyte GA-7DXE), is there anything different I have to do, compared to
if
> I installed a normal Athlon XP 2600+ ?
>
> The motherboard supports the normal 266MHz 2600+, will it see the mobile
one
> as the same processor?
>
> Do I need to change anything for the lower voltage, or will that be
> automatic?

Many motherboards will not know what to do, and will give it the default
voltage - which is not going to hurt the chip. You can lower the voltage
manually on most decent boards, if you wish.

steve

The multiplier will not be properly detected.... it will most likely default
to 6x which with a 133 FSB would only give 800MHz clock speed. This is not
an issue if you have a board that supports multiplier control over the full
range. However many boards either don't have multi control or don't support
'5th bit' control which means that the highest you could raise the multi
would be 12.5x. The solution would be either wiring pins or cutting bridges
to bring the default multi into the higher range. You 'may' also get away
with it if you put the mobile in right after your old XP2600+... the board
'may' retain the original multiplier setting, as long as you don't clear the
CMOS.