XP2600+ T-Bred or XP3000+ Barton chip

Hi,
It was suggested that I try overclocking in an earlier post.

My Athlon XP2600+ T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and default 2083MHz) is
running at 2205MHz comfortably and as yet, I have not experienced any
problems. I have burnt some CDs and processed some divx movie files and the
hottest it has got is 43C.

I note that an XP3000 Barton chip (with 512Kb L2 Cache and FSB 400MHz) that
has a default clock speed of 2167MHz is now being sold by a local retailer.

Would getting this XP3000 Barton be a worthwhile performance boost?

Thanks
Shane

If you want to overclock then the XP2500+ takes some beating, simply by
raising the FSB from 166MHz to 200MHz you have a XP3200+.... It's a better
bet than the XP3000+ / 400FSB because the 400FSB (200MHz FSB) makes this
chip very hard to get much of an overclock.
Obviously for a 400FSB chip you need 400DDR (PC3200) memory.

"nospam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> It was suggested that I try overclocking in an earlier post.
>
> My Athlon XP2600+ T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and default 2083MHz) is
> running at 2205MHz comfortably and as yet, I have not experienced any
> problems. I have burnt some CDs and processed some divx movie files and
> the
> hottest it has got is 43C.
>
> I note that an XP3000 Barton chip (with 512Kb L2 Cache and FSB 400MHz)
> that
> has a default clock speed of 2167MHz is now being sold by a local
> retailer.
>
> Would getting this XP3000 Barton be a worthwhile performance boost?
>
> Thanks
> Shane

A Barton is faster than a T-Bred at same speed. How much depends on what
application you run. If it is worthwhile also depends on the rest of your
system - is your cpu the bottleneck today? If not, you might get more boost
from a new graphicscard or more ram.

I you want a Barton I suggest you save some money by getting a mobile one
and overclock it instead. It is the same chip you are paying for, so why
pay extra? The cheapest mobile Barton one could find is what I would
choose; a XP-M 2400+ or similar. If you buy a mobile you also get a
unlocked cpu.

/Ville

Hi,
Thanks for the reply........ ...then my current setup, an Athlon XP2600+
T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and with a default speed of 2083MHz) which is
running at a modest overclock of 2205MHz (settings on my Abit NF7-2 are 11 X
200MHz), is actually running at the same performance as the the XP3000+, is
that correct?

In other words, if I just wanted the performance of a the XP3000+ CPU (with
the 512Kb Cache and 400MHz FSB), I don't need to get that new chip nor do I
need to get the XP2500+ ??

I also thought that perhaps the 512Kb Cache of the new XP3000+ may make a
difference.

Thanks for your time.

Shane

"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> If you want to overclock then the XP2500+ takes some beating, simply by
> raising the FSB from 166MHz to 200MHz you have a XP3200+.... It's a better
> bet than the XP3000+ / 400FSB because the 400FSB (200MHz FSB) makes this
> chip very hard to get much of an overclock.
> Obviously for a 400FSB chip you need 400DDR (PC3200) memory.
>
> --
> *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
> "nospam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > It was suggested that I try overclocking in an earlier post.
> >
> > My Athlon XP2600+ T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and default 2083MHz) is
> > running at 2205MHz comfortably and as yet, I have not experienced any
> > problems. I have burnt some CDs and processed some divx movie files and
> > the
> > hottest it has got is 43C.
> >
> > I note that an XP3000 Barton chip (with 512Kb L2 Cache and FSB 400MHz)
> > that
> > has a default clock speed of 2167MHz is now being sold by a local
> > retailer.
> >
> > Would getting this XP3000 Barton be a worthwhile performance boost?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Shane

Hi,

Sorry if my questions seem elementary. It just that I have some spare parts
to put together another Athlon based machine on a KT600 m/board. I was
contemplating pulling out my XP2600+ from my NF2-S rig, and putting it into
the other machine. I was then going to buy another CPU to upgrade the
performance of my NF2-S setup.

Another option is to simply leave the XP2600+ on my current machine and just
buy a much cheaper XP2200+ for the spare PC.

Thanks,
Shane
> Hi,
> Thanks for the reply........ ...then my current setup, an Athlon XP2600+
> T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and with a default speed of 2083MHz) which is
> running at a modest overclock of 2205MHz (settings on my Abit NF7-2 are 11
> 200MHz), is actually running at the same performance as the the XP3000+,
is
> that correct?
>
> In other words, if I just wanted the performance of a the XP3000+ CPU
(with
> the 512Kb Cache and 400MHz FSB), I don't need to get that new chip nor do
> need to get the XP2500+ ??
>
> I also thought that perhaps the 512Kb Cache of the new XP3000+ may make a
> difference.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Shane
>

> "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > If you want to overclock then the XP2500+ takes some beating, simply by
> > raising the FSB from 166MHz to 200MHz you have a XP3200+.... It's a
better
> > bet than the XP3000+ / 400FSB because the 400FSB (200MHz FSB) makes this
> > chip very hard to get much of an overclock.
> > Obviously for a 400FSB chip you need 400DDR (PC3200) memory.
> >
> > --
> > *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
> > "nospam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > It was suggested that I try overclocking in an earlier post.
> > >
> > > My Athlon XP2600+ T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and default 2083MHz) is
> > > running at 2205MHz comfortably and as yet, I have not experienced any
> > > problems. I have burnt some CDs and processed some divx movie files
and
> > > the
> > > hottest it has got is 43C.
> > >
> > > I note that an XP3000 Barton chip (with 512Kb L2 Cache and FSB 400MHz)
> > > that
> > > has a default clock speed of 2167MHz is now being sold by a local
> > > retailer.
> > >
> > > Would getting this XP3000 Barton be a worthwhile performance boost?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Shane

Just some further info, I have 2x512Mg of PC3200 ram installed with the
XP2600+.
Thanks,
Shane
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if my questions seem elementary. It just that I have some spare
parts
> to put together another Athlon based machine on a KT600 m/board. I was
> contemplating pulling out my XP2600+ from my NF2-S rig, and putting it
into
> the other machine. I was then going to buy another CPU to upgrade the
> performance of my NF2-S setup.
>
> Another option is to simply leave the XP2600+ on my current machine and
just
> buy a much cheaper XP2200+ for the spare PC.
>
> Thanks,
> Shane
> "nospam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Thanks for the reply........ ...then my current setup, an Athlon XP2600+
> > T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and with a default speed of 2083MHz) which
is
> > running at a modest overclock of 2205MHz (settings on my Abit NF7-2 are
> > 200MHz), is actually running at the same performance as the the XP3000+,
> is
> > that correct?
> >
> > In other words, if I just wanted the performance of a the XP3000+ CPU
> (with
> > the 512Kb Cache and 400MHz FSB), I don't need to get that new chip nor
do
> > need to get the XP2500+ ??
> >
> > I also thought that perhaps the 512Kb Cache of the new XP3000+ may make
> > difference.
> >
> > Thanks for your time.
> >
> > Shane
> >

> > "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > If you want to overclock then the XP2500+ takes some beating, simply
by
> > > raising the FSB from 166MHz to 200MHz you have a XP3200+.... It's a
> better
> > > bet than the XP3000+ / 400FSB because the 400FSB (200MHz FSB) makes
this
> > > chip very hard to get much of an overclock.
> > > Obviously for a 400FSB chip you need 400DDR (PC3200) memory.
> > >
> > > --
> > > *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
> > > "nospam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

is
> and

Thanks. Where can you get Althlon XP-M CPUs. I did a google on Australian
sites and I could not find any for retail purchase.

Shane

"Ville Viking" <vikingville@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> A Barton is faster than a T-Bred at same speed. How much depends on what
> application you run. If it is worthwhile also depends on the rest of your
> system - is your cpu the bottleneck today? If not, you might get more
boost
> from a new graphicscard or more ram.
>
> I you want a Barton I suggest you save some money by getting a mobile one
> and overclock it instead. It is the same chip you are paying for, so why
> pay extra? The cheapest mobile Barton one could find is what I would
> choose; a XP-M 2400+ or similar. If you buy a mobile you also get a
> unlocked cpu.
>
> /Ville

I live in Scandinavia and that is just about as far away from Australia as
you can get so I'm afraid that I can't help you find dealers down under.
Around here we have several netdealers selling the XP-M's.
/Ville