XP2600+ T-Bred or XP3000+ Barton chip

Hi,
It was suggested that I try overclocking in an earlier post.

My Athlon XP2600+ T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and default 2083MHz) is
running at 2205MHz comfortably and as yet, I have not experienced any
problems. I have burnt some CDs and processed some divx movie files and the
hottest it has got is 43C.

I note that an XP3000 Barton chip (with 512Kb L2 Cache and FSB 400MHz) that
has a default clock speed of 2167MHz is now being sold by a local retailer.

Would getting this XP3000 Barton be a worthwhile performance boost?

Thanks
Shane
7 answers Last reply
More about xp2600 bred xp3000 barton chip

    If you want to overclock then the XP2500+ takes some beating, simply by
    raising the FSB from 166MHz to 200MHz you have a XP3200+.... It's a better
    bet than the XP3000+ / 400FSB because the 400FSB (200MHz FSB) makes this
    chip very hard to get much of an overclock.
    Obviously for a 400FSB chip you need 400DDR (PC3200) memory.

    "nospam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > It was suggested that I try overclocking in an earlier post.
    >
    > My Athlon XP2600+ T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and default 2083MHz) is
    > running at 2205MHz comfortably and as yet, I have not experienced any
    > problems. I have burnt some CDs and processed some divx movie files and
    > the
    > hottest it has got is 43C.
    >
    > I note that an XP3000 Barton chip (with 512Kb L2 Cache and FSB 400MHz)
    > that
    > has a default clock speed of 2167MHz is now being sold by a local
    > retailer.
    >
    > Would getting this XP3000 Barton be a worthwhile performance boost?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Shane

    A Barton is faster than a T-Bred at same speed. How much depends on what
    application you run. If it is worthwhile also depends on the rest of your
    system - is your cpu the bottleneck today? If not, you might get more boost
    from a new graphicscard or more ram.

    I you want a Barton I suggest you save some money by getting a mobile one
    and overclock it instead. It is the same chip you are paying for, so why
    pay extra? The cheapest mobile Barton one could find is what I would
    choose; a XP-M 2400+ or similar. If you buy a mobile you also get a
    unlocked cpu.

    /Ville

    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply........ ...then my current setup, an Athlon XP2600+
    T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and with a default speed of 2083MHz) which is
    running at a modest overclock of 2205MHz (settings on my Abit NF7-2 are 11 X
    200MHz), is actually running at the same performance as the the XP3000+, is
    that correct?

    In other words, if I just wanted the performance of a the XP3000+ CPU (with
    the 512Kb Cache and 400MHz FSB), I don't need to get that new chip nor do I
    need to get the XP2500+ ??

    I also thought that perhaps the 512Kb Cache of the new XP3000+ may make a
    difference.

    Thanks for your time.

    Shane

    "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > If you want to overclock then the XP2500+ takes some beating, simply by
    > raising the FSB from 166MHz to 200MHz you have a XP3200+.... It's a better
    > bet than the XP3000+ / 400FSB because the 400FSB (200MHz FSB) makes this
    > chip very hard to get much of an overclock.
    > Obviously for a 400FSB chip you need 400DDR (PC3200) memory.
    >
    > --
    > *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
    > "nospam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > It was suggested that I try overclocking in an earlier post.
    > >
    > > My Athlon XP2600+ T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and default 2083MHz) is
    > > running at 2205MHz comfortably and as yet, I have not experienced any
    > > problems. I have burnt some CDs and processed some divx movie files and
    > > the
    > > hottest it has got is 43C.
    > >
    > > I note that an XP3000 Barton chip (with 512Kb L2 Cache and FSB 400MHz)
    > > that
    > > has a default clock speed of 2167MHz is now being sold by a local
    > > retailer.
    > >
    > > Would getting this XP3000 Barton be a worthwhile performance boost?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Shane

    Hi,

    Sorry if my questions seem elementary. It just that I have some spare parts
    to put together another Athlon based machine on a KT600 m/board. I was
    contemplating pulling out my XP2600+ from my NF2-S rig, and putting it into
    the other machine. I was then going to buy another CPU to upgrade the
    performance of my NF2-S setup.

    Another option is to simply leave the XP2600+ on my current machine and just
    buy a much cheaper XP2200+ for the spare PC.

    Thanks,
    Shane
    > Hi,
    > Thanks for the reply........ ...then my current setup, an Athlon XP2600+
    > T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and with a default speed of 2083MHz) which is
    > running at a modest overclock of 2205MHz (settings on my Abit NF7-2 are 11
    > 200MHz), is actually running at the same performance as the the XP3000+,
    is
    > that correct?
    >
    > In other words, if I just wanted the performance of a the XP3000+ CPU
    (with
    > the 512Kb Cache and 400MHz FSB), I don't need to get that new chip nor do
    > need to get the XP2500+ ??
    >
    > I also thought that perhaps the 512Kb Cache of the new XP3000+ may make a
    > difference.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.
    >
    > Shane
    >

    > "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > If you want to overclock then the XP2500+ takes some beating, simply by
    > > raising the FSB from 166MHz to 200MHz you have a XP3200+.... It's a
    better
    > > bet than the XP3000+ / 400FSB because the 400FSB (200MHz FSB) makes this
    > > chip very hard to get much of an overclock.
    > > Obviously for a 400FSB chip you need 400DDR (PC3200) memory.
    > >
    > > --
    > > *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
    > > "nospam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > > It was suggested that I try overclocking in an earlier post.
    > > >
    > > > My Athlon XP2600+ T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and default 2083MHz) is
    > > > running at 2205MHz comfortably and as yet, I have not experienced any
    > > > problems. I have burnt some CDs and processed some divx movie files
    and
    > > > the
    > > > hottest it has got is 43C.
    > > >
    > > > I note that an XP3000 Barton chip (with 512Kb L2 Cache and FSB 400MHz)
    > > > that
    > > > has a default clock speed of 2167MHz is now being sold by a local
    > > > retailer.
    > > >
    > > > Would getting this XP3000 Barton be a worthwhile performance boost?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Shane

    Just some further info, I have 2x512Mg of PC3200 ram installed with the
    XP2600+.
    Thanks,
    Shane
    > Hi,
    >
    > Sorry if my questions seem elementary. It just that I have some spare
    parts
    > to put together another Athlon based machine on a KT600 m/board. I was
    > contemplating pulling out my XP2600+ from my NF2-S rig, and putting it
    into
    > the other machine. I was then going to buy another CPU to upgrade the
    > performance of my NF2-S setup.
    >
    > Another option is to simply leave the XP2600+ on my current machine and
    just
    > buy a much cheaper XP2200+ for the spare PC.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shane
    > "nospam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > Thanks for the reply........ ...then my current setup, an Athlon XP2600+
    > > T-Bred (with 256Kb L2 Cache and with a default speed of 2083MHz) which
    is
    > > running at a modest overclock of 2205MHz (settings on my Abit NF7-2 are
    11
    > > 200MHz), is actually running at the same performance as the the XP3000+,
    > is
    > > that correct?
    > >
    > > In other words, if I just wanted the performance of a the XP3000+ CPU
    > (with
    > > the 512Kb Cache and 400MHz FSB), I don't need to get that new chip nor
    do
    > > need to get the XP2500+ ??
    > >
    > > I also thought that perhaps the 512Kb Cache of the new XP3000+ may make
    > > difference.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your time.
    > >
    > > Shane
    > >

    > > "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > > If you want to overclock then the XP2500+ takes some beating, simply
    by
    > > > raising the FSB from 166MHz to 200MHz you have a XP3200+.... It's a
    > better
    > > > bet than the XP3000+ / 400FSB because the 400FSB (200MHz FSB) makes
    this
    > > > chip very hard to get much of an overclock.
    > > > Obviously for a 400FSB chip you need 400DDR (PC3200) memory.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
    > > > "nospam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    is
    > and

    Thanks. Where can you get Althlon XP-M CPUs. I did a google on Australian
    sites and I could not find any for retail purchase.

    Shane

    "Ville Viking" <vikingville@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > A Barton is faster than a T-Bred at same speed. How much depends on what
    > application you run. If it is worthwhile also depends on the rest of your
    > system - is your cpu the bottleneck today? If not, you might get more
    boost
    > from a new graphicscard or more ram.
    >
    > I you want a Barton I suggest you save some money by getting a mobile one
    > and overclock it instead. It is the same chip you are paying for, so why
    > pay extra? The cheapest mobile Barton one could find is what I would
    > choose; a XP-M 2400+ or similar. If you buy a mobile you also get a
    > unlocked cpu.
    >
    > /Ville

    I live in Scandinavia and that is just about as far away from Australia as
    you can get so I'm afraid that I can't help you find dealers down under.
    Around here we have several netdealers selling the XP-M's.
    /Ville

AMD Overclocking