New Hard Drive - Now needs partitioning

Expert

Just installed a new 80 G hard drive with Windows XP Professional. Now
it was suggested that I partition the drive in 3 sections. How do I do
this? I'm pretty new - so plain language would be great. Thanks in
advance for your help.

--
Rusty

First: Windows XP works well with only one partition. There is no need to
repartition your hard disk. Do so only for your own convenience.

Second, the words "partition" and "plain language" do not go together
because partitioning is an advanced procedure. Make one wrong move and your
PC becomes a paperweight. Better to let someone with the necessary knowledge
and experience do it.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Rusty" <Rusty.1tm1pn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Just installed a new 80 G hard drive with Windows XP Professional. Now
> it was suggested that I partition the drive in 3 sections. How do I do
> this? I'm pretty new - so plain language would be great. Thanks in
> advance for your help.
>

> --
> Rusty

Rusty <Rusty.1tm1pn@pcbanter.net> wrote:

>Just installed a new 80 G hard drive with Windows XP Professional. Now
>it was suggested that I partition the drive in 3 sections. How do I do
>this? I'm pretty new - so plain language would be great. Thanks in
>advance for your help.

If you have already installed the drive and have put Windows XP onto
it then the drive is already partitioned and any changes would either
involve wiping out your installed Windows XP and starting over or
using a third party partitioning utility such as Partition Magic
(Symantec) that can make changes to existing partitions without
destroying the contents.

For a general overview of the subject of partitioning see the article
on Partition Planning on MVP Jim Eshelman's web site at
http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

dl

If you're saying the new drive is the o/s (win) drive you cannot partition
other than by starting again with a clean install, or using/buying a third
party tool, eg Partition Magic

If your saying the new drive is a slave drive, with nothing installed on it.
See Disk Management in help

"Rusty" <Rusty.1tm1pn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Just installed a new 80 G hard drive with Windows XP Professional. Now
> it was suggested that I partition the drive in 3 sections. How do I do
> this? I'm pretty new - so plain language would be great. Thanks in
> advance for your help.
>

> --
> Rusty

mark

My computer, a VAIO, was partition were the C drive is 15 gig and it controls
all my programs and the D drive is over 120 Gig....the C: drive is maxed out
with programs and unless I delete some programs I can't defrag....what can be
done to increase the C: drive

"DL" wrote:

> If you're saying the new drive is the o/s (win) drive you cannot partition
> other than by starting again with a clean install, or using/buying a third
> party tool, eg Partition Magic
>
> If your saying the new drive is a slave drive, with nothing installed on it.
> See Disk Management in help
>
> "Rusty" <Rusty.1tm1pn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Just installed a new 80 G hard drive with Windows XP Professional. Now
> > it was suggested that I partition the drive in 3 sections. How do I do
> > this? I'm pretty new - so plain language would be great. Thanks in
> > advance for your help.
> >

> > --
> > Rusty

Mark

You can move documents onto the second partition, and you can also install
programs there.. all you have to do at the point of installation is point
the install towards the partition..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer, a VAIO, was partition were the C drive is 15 gig and it
> controls
> all my programs and the D drive is over 120 Gig....the C: drive is maxed
> out
> with programs and unless I delete some programs I can't defrag....what can
> be
> done to increase the C: drive
>

> "DL" wrote:
>
>> If you're saying the new drive is the o/s (win) drive you cannot
>> partition
>> other than by starting again with a clean install, or using/buying a
>> third
>> party tool, eg Partition Magic
>>
>> If your saying the new drive is a slave drive, with nothing installed on
>> it.
>> See Disk Management in help
>>
>> "Rusty" <Rusty.1tm1pn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Just installed a new 80 G hard drive with Windows XP Professional. Now
>> > it was suggested that I partition the drive in 3 sections. How do I do
>> > this? I'm pretty new - so plain language would be great. Thanks in
>> > advance for your help.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Rusty

You may solve your problem without any special program but (!!!) every
time when you will need to do something like that, you will have to
invent something and spend a lot of time. So, that's why I advise you
to buy a good partition manager, for example Acronis Disk Director (
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/ ). It's
very convenient and reliable and also isn't expensive (cheaper than
Magic, but not worse).

Hey, Kinoby! I completely agree with you! It's really much easier to
use Disk Director, then some other ways.
This software has windows wizard that make utilization simpler and
convenient. I've never thought that partitioning might be so exciting.
And I've never felt sorry for spent many, as I could save much time!