Can you run an XP2500 at 200Mhz FSB with PC2700 ram?

There have been a couple of posts lately about overclocking XP2500 or
XP2400 CPUs to use 200FSB but nothign quite answers my question.

I have a multiplier locked XP2500 running at default (166x11 =
1826Mhz) with PC2700 (DDR333) ram running at the 166Mhz setting in the
bios.

I don't want to buy any new components (no money at the moment) but i
have the opportunity to get a Asus A7N8X-X motherboard off a friend.
So here's my question.

Assuming my XP2500 will run stable at 200x11 (lets just assume that it
can), will i be able to use my PC2700 ram without overclocking it to
DDR400 speeds? The ram is cheap generic pc2700 so i doubt it will take
the overclocking.

I remember an old motherboard let me run my CPU at 133Mhz and i had
the choice of running the Ram at either 133 or 100. I'm hoping maybe
the Asus A7N8x-x will let me run the cpu at 200 while running the
memory at 166?

Any thoughts appreciated.

kevins_news2 wrote:
> There have been a couple of posts lately about overclocking XP2500 or
> XP2400 CPUs to use 200FSB but nothign quite answers my question.
>
> I have a multiplier locked XP2500 running at default (166x11 =
> 1826Mhz) with PC2700 (DDR333) ram running at the 166Mhz setting in the
> bios.
>
> I don't want to buy any new components (no money at the moment) but i
> have the opportunity to get a Asus A7N8X-X motherboard off a friend.
> So here's my question.
>
> Assuming my XP2500 will run stable at 200x11 (lets just assume that it
> can), will i be able to use my PC2700 ram without overclocking it to
> DDR400 speeds? The ram is cheap generic pc2700 so i doubt it will take
> the overclocking.
>
> I remember an old motherboard let me run my CPU at 133Mhz and i had
> the choice of running the Ram at either 133 or 100. I'm hoping maybe
> the Asus A7N8x-x will let me run the cpu at 200 while running the
> memory at 166?
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

You can do that, but the nForce2 chipset has been known to be a tad unstable
in certain asynchronous configurations (not sure if it's attributed to the
asynchronous or not, but those be the reports). It is generally recommended
to run the FSB and RAM in synch.

Try it and see how it goes. You'll get extra processing power, but it'll be
a bit hampered by the memory which might not be able to "keep up", but that
shouldn't cause you any major issues.

Ben

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:58:10 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>kevins_news2 wrote:
>> There have been a couple of posts lately about overclocking XP2500 or
>> XP2400 CPUs to use 200FSB but nothign quite answers my question.
>>
>> I have a multiplier locked XP2500 running at default (166x11 =
>> 1826Mhz) with PC2700 (DDR333) ram running at the 166Mhz setting in the
>> bios.
>>
>> I don't want to buy any new components (no money at the moment) but i
>> have the opportunity to get a Asus A7N8X-X motherboard off a friend.
>> So here's my question.
>>
>> Assuming my XP2500 will run stable at 200x11 (lets just assume that it
>> can), will i be able to use my PC2700 ram without overclocking it to
>> DDR400 speeds? The ram is cheap generic pc2700 so i doubt it will take
>> the overclocking.
>>
>> I remember an old motherboard let me run my CPU at 133Mhz and i had
>> the choice of running the Ram at either 133 or 100. I'm hoping maybe
>> the Asus A7N8x-x will let me run the cpu at 200 while running the
>> memory at 166?
>>
>> Any thoughts appreciated.
>
>You can do that, but the nForce2 chipset has been known to be a tad unstable
>in certain asynchronous configurations (not sure if it's attributed to the
>asynchronous or not, but those be the reports). It is generally recommended
>to run the FSB and RAM in synch.
>
>Try it and see how it goes. You'll get extra processing power, but it'll be
>a bit hampered by the memory which might not be able to "keep up", but that
>shouldn't cause you any major issues.
>
>Ben

Thanks. Your response seems to confirm that it is possible. But i'm
wondering if you're speaking hypothetically or if you know about the
A7N8X-X.

Does the A7N8X-X have a bios setting to allow you to run the RAM at a
slower speed than the FSB?

If yes, i might still have some of these asynchronous problems you
mention but i need to know if the setting even exists before i think
about possible problems.

The friend is across the country and computer illiterate so i can't
ask them to see if the setting exists or not. I was hoping to find
out from someone in a response to this post :)

Thanks again.

kevins_news2 wrote:
> Thanks. Your response seems to confirm that it is possible. But i'm
> wondering if you're speaking hypothetically or if you know about the
> A7N8X-X.

Hypothetically, I've never used that board, but don't let that discourage
you! :p

> Does the A7N8X-X have a bios setting to allow you to run the RAM at a
> slower speed than the FSB?

Dunno. All the other A7N8Xs do, but I think the -X actually has a BIOS from
a different company (Mine, the A7N8X Deluxe is a Award/Pheonix BIOS).

> If yes, i might still have some of these asynchronous problems you
> mention but i need to know if the setting even exists before i think
> about possible problems.

Well, look.

> The friend is across the country and computer illiterate so i can't
> ask them to see if the setting exists or not. I was hoping to find
> out from someone in a response to this post :)

Manual available here:

http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-x/e1461_a7n8x-x.pdf

Ben

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:15:31 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>kevins_news2 wrote:
>> Thanks. Your response seems to confirm that it is possible. But i'm
>> wondering if you're speaking hypothetically or if you know about the
>> A7N8X-X.
>
>Hypothetically, I've never used that board, but don't let that discourage
>you! :p
>
>> Does the A7N8X-X have a bios setting to allow you to run the RAM at a
>> slower speed than the FSB?
>
>Dunno. All the other A7N8Xs do, but I think the -X actually has a BIOS from
>a different company (Mine, the A7N8X Deluxe is a Award/Pheonix BIOS).
>
>> If yes, i might still have some of these asynchronous problems you
>> mention but i need to know if the setting even exists before i think
>> about possible problems.
>
>Well, look.
>
>> The friend is across the country and computer illiterate so i can't
>> ask them to see if the setting exists or not. I was hoping to find
>> out from someone in a response to this post :)
>

>Manual available here:
>
>http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-x/e1461_a7n8x-x.pdf
>
>Ben

Asus USA site wouldn't work for me today and for some reason, don't
ask me to repeat it now, i wasn't able to find the manual on the .tw
site. Now, of course, it's easy.

THANKS!!!

Looks like the memory frequency can be set anywhere from 50% to 200%
of the FSB. YAY!

And there diefinetly is a way to set the AGP/PCI bus to a specific
speed to keep it from being majorly overclocked. YAY!

Guess i'll go through with the deal.

geoff

> Asus USA site wouldn't work for me today and for some reason, don't
> ask me to repeat it now, i wasn't able to find the manual on the .tw
> site. Now, of course, it's easy.
>
> THANKS!!!
>
> Looks like the memory frequency can be set anywhere from 50% to 200%
> of the FSB. YAY!
>
> And there diefinetly is a way to set the AGP/PCI bus to a specific
> speed to keep it from being majorly overclocked. YAY!
>
> Guess i'll go through with the deal.

last time i tryed those % memory to fsb they didn't work very well, make
sure you try all sorts of different figures with it if some don't work,
latest bios might help too

Ed

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:28:04 +0100, "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>last time i tryed those % memory to fsb they didn't work very well, make
>sure you try all sorts of different figures with it if some don't work,
>latest bios might help too

Same here on my "A7N8X".

I'm running an NFORCE M7NCD PRO BIOSTAR mother board which is a NVIDIA
nforce2 and a XP 2500+ (Barton) 333 FSB and 512mb PC2100 Ram . I haven't
had any troubles at all. Far cry doesn't seem to have any problems. I have a
Radeon 9600 Pro Video card. I could probley squeeze a few more mhz out of it
but its stable here. I suppose faster ram would be a big improvement but not
worth the cost for me.

Sandra shows:
MB = 2 x 190mhz - 380mhz data rate
Memory = 2 x 126 - 256MHZ dat rate