Question about heatsink

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2004 2:19:46 PM

Hi, I just bought an xp2600 (Barton) to replace my previous xp2400.
After removing the old processor + heatsink, I placed the new one,
and then try to place the hsc that came in the package. Unfortunately,
I couldn't (and I tried it in many ways). After giving up, there was a
little
of the thermal plastic in the core rooted up (just a little). So I decided
use my old heatsink (which can be used with the 2600 according to
the maker), but I didn't remove any of the old silver cream I used at
that time (it was a couple of months ago)
Now I have MBM 5 installed and it shows me the following values:
Case 36ºC, Diode 61ºC, Socket 42ºC.
I've been reading some posts, and see people saying they have their
CPU at 45º for example. What is this meassure? Diode or socket?
According to AMD, the maximum temperature for this chip is 80ºC,
so is this a normal amount? (Take note that here in Europe we're
having 30ºC or more). My room at this moment is 30ºC hot.
Should I remove the heatsink and remove the old gum? What
about the thermal protection in the chip? I guess that shouldn't be
touched, right?

Now I'm playing mp3, and running seti@home, and I get 67-69ºC...
what surprised me is that the temp raised pretty quickly from 60 to 65...
One strange thing is that neither ASUS pc probe nor MBM 5 detect the
fan rpm, both tools indicate 0 (also the BIOS!), but PC Wizard tells
me 5700 rpm (and of course I see the hsc working!) Why could this
happen?

More about : question heatsink

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2004 2:21:42 PM

> Hi, I just bought an xp2600 (Barton) to replace my previous xp2400.
> After removing the old processor + heatsink, I placed the new one,
> and then try to place the hsc that came in the package. Unfortunately,
> I couldn't (and I tried it in many ways). After giving up, there was a
> little
> of the thermal plastic in the core rooted up (just a little). So I decided
> use my old heatsink (which can be used with the 2600 according to
> the maker), but I didn't remove any of the old silver cream I used at
> that time (it was a couple of months ago)
> Now I have MBM 5 installed and it shows me the following values:
> Case 36ºC, Diode 61ºC, Socket 42ºC.
> I've been reading some posts, and see people saying they have their
> CPU at 45º for example. What is this meassure? Diode or socket?
> According to AMD, the maximum temperature for this chip is 80ºC,
> so is this a normal amount? (Take note that here in Europe we're
> having 30ºC or more). My room at this moment is 30ºC hot.
> Should I remove the heatsink and remove the old gum? What
> about the thermal protection in the chip? I guess that shouldn't be
> touched, right?
>
> Now I'm playing mp3, and running seti@home, and I get 67-69ºC...
> what surprised me is that the temp raised pretty quickly from 60 to 65...
> One strange thing is that neither ASUS pc probe nor MBM 5 detect the
> fan rpm, both tools indicate 0 (also the BIOS!), but PC Wizard tells
> me 5700 rpm (and of course I see the hsc working!) Why could this
> happen?

I did one last thing tonight: I turned off the machine for 6 hours,
and now the first thing in the morning I did was checking the
temperature in the BIOS. The strange thing is that the bios
monitor showed me a cpu temp of 45ºC! (where the room temp. at
this very moment is 25-27ºC) and a mobo temp of 25ºC (which
is quite logical to me given the room temperature)
So, why is this shift? Could it be that this bias is the real problem?
I don't think that such a temperature would hold for 6 hours, right?
Now MBM5 gives me Case 31ºC, Diode 58ºC, Socket 39ºC, but
if I take into account that there was almost 20ºC (45ºC shown - 25-27ºC
room real temperature) between real temperature and the temperature
shown, that would drop diode temp. to 58ºC - 20ºC = 38ºC.
Is this shift normal in other bioses?
BTW I have an asus a7n8x-x with 512MB pc3200 400Mhz (CL 3)

TIA.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2004 2:28:16 PM

> use my old heatsink (which can be used with the 2600 according to
> the maker), but I didn't remove any of the old silver cream I used at
> that time (it was a couple of months ago)
> Now I have MBM 5 installed and it shows me the following values:
> Case 36ºC, Diode 61ºC, Socket 42ºC.
> I've been reading some posts, and see people saying they have their
> CPU at 45º for example. What is this meassure? Diode or socket?
> According to AMD, the maximum temperature for this chip is 80ºC,
> so is this a normal amount? (Take note that here in Europe we're
> having 30ºC or more). My room at this moment is 30ºC hot.
> Should I remove the heatsink and remove the old gum? What
> about the thermal protection in the chip? I guess that shouldn't be
> touched, right?

That is too hot I think..
If it's only going from 60~ to 65~ then it sounds like the heatsink might
not be up to the task but it could be the lack of TIM.
I would def be getting some new tim, cleaning the old off and reapplying.

45c diode here today (in the UK)
Socket is 42c but my /other/ sensor is showing 24 (it says case, but it's on
the mobo)
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2004 3:55:20 PM

> That is too hot I think..
> If it's only going from 60~ to 65~ then it sounds like the heatsink might
> not be up to the task but it could be the lack of TIM.
> I would def be getting some new tim, cleaning the old off and reapplying.
>
> 45c diode here today (in the UK)
> Socket is 42c but my /other/ sensor is showing 24 (it says case, but it's
on
> the mobo)

OK then I'll remove the heatsink I guess...
Should I also remove the original thermic protection that came in chip,
and place silver protection instead?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2004 3:58:19 PM

"notme" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > That is too hot I think..
> > If it's only going from 60~ to 65~ then it sounds like the heatsink
might
> > not be up to the task but it could be the lack of TIM.
> > I would def be getting some new tim, cleaning the old off and
reapplying.

> > 45c diode here today (in the UK)
> > Socket is 42c but my /other/ sensor is showing 24 (it says case, but
it's
> on
> > the mobo)
>
> OK then I'll remove the heatsink I guess...
> Should I also remove the original thermic protection that came in chip,
> and place silver protection instead?

It's usually best to clean the heatsink and processor core, I have used
triple distilled vodka before to clean it with (it doesnt do a great job,
but it's better than water ;P)
August 14, 2004 1:56:28 AM

Here is a good place to start....

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions....

"notme" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > That is too hot I think..
> > If it's only going from 60~ to 65~ then it sounds like the heatsink
might
> > not be up to the task but it could be the lack of TIM.
> > I would def be getting some new tim, cleaning the old off and
reapplying.

> > 45c diode here today (in the UK)
> > Socket is 42c but my /other/ sensor is showing 24 (it says case, but
it's
> on
> > the mobo)
>
> OK then I'll remove the heatsink I guess...
> Should I also remove the original thermic protection that came in chip,
> and place silver protection instead?

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 14, 2004 2:41:17 AM

Just clean it off with some distilled alcohol or indeed vodka.
The cpu die needs to be clean,otherwise you get some burn-in from old paste.
Also the heatsink needs to be clean again.
Apply the correct paste on the die in a thin layer.
I use a small plastic stick (wattips for cleaning yer ears lol) which needs
to be clean from any kind of woll or other stuff.
Then i use it gently as a brush making sure the paste is evenly divided over
the cpu die.
What silver protection do you mean?Arctic silver?That's the paste you could
use yes.
Most heatsinks that do the job for a xp2400 will also work for a xp2600.
My copper heatsink cools 4C better then my aluminium heatsink.
The copper has 80mm fan 2800rpm and the alu has 70mm fan @ 3000rpm.
The moral is that you need good contact between the 2 surfaces,then it cools
optimal.

!