Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Networking Problems

Tags:
  • PCS
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
March 5, 2003 12:16:45 PM

wondering if any of you can help. i am having a nightmare connecting 2 pcs together. both pcs with same nic's and have got a direct connection with a cross-over cable. the problem is that they cannot connect together. ive checked workgroup issues, ip addresses, tried pinging each computer (no results - timed out).
the only insight i have is that on one of the cards one light is on whilst the other flashes, but on the other nic both lights are on constantly. i have done internet searches, but i can't find out what this means.
any help appreciated, and i will be online most of the time to answer any little questions people have.

Cheers
Chris

More about : networking problems

March 5, 2003 12:22:39 PM

are you absolutely sure the cable is good/correct?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
March 5, 2003 1:15:24 PM

have got no way of checking, but i assume that because the lights are on this enough support.
Related resources
March 5, 2003 2:10:05 PM

yeah, but the difference in lights is what makes me suspicious

March 5, 2003 3:01:14 PM

ive never seen both ends of a network when connected. on my work laptop one light is always on while the other one flashes. i presume one means that it is on and the other that it is sending data.
March 5, 2003 3:49:27 PM

If you have a normal 568B cable hooked up it will blink, but not work. <A HREF="http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00009.asp" target="_new">This</A> will show you how to check or even make the correct cable.

:tongue: <font color=blue>My job is to polish</font color=blue> <font color=green>turds</font color=green><font color=blue>, I</font color=blue> <font color=red>love</font color=red> <font color=blue>my job.</font color=blue>
March 5, 2003 4:51:39 PM

that most likely means it is incorrectly wired.

March 6, 2003 7:45:13 AM

can i use a none crossover cable to check the nic's are ok? can i just ping in one direction, and see if that gives any results?
March 6, 2003 9:50:15 AM

nope. Where did you get that xover cable? Any problem with just going to CompUSA or something and buying an official one?