How do I know what CPU I've got? (Supposed to be XP 3200+)

I bought an XP 3200+, and the sticker on the chip looks right, gives me all
the right data, but any sticker can be stuck onto any CPU. I'm having trouble
getting this thing running at the proper speed in my new A7N8X-E Deluxe
motherboard, and I'm not sure which is bad, the CPU or the MoBo (but I suspect
the CPU). I bought the OEM chip from what I've always considered to be a
reputable seller (mWave.com, I've purchased a few things from them over the
last 3 years or so, so they're not a fly-by-night place), but I'm suspecting
that they might have sold me a rebadged chip (their supplier might be at
fault, or they might be less reputable than I thought).

Quite often, the Asus Voice POST feature tells me "system failed due to CPU
overclocking" and won't boot up, especially if I try running at 200x11. I can
pretty consistently run at 166x11, and the chip is recognized as a 2500+.

Given that stickers can be easily defrauded, how do I know what CPU I've got?
I've tried a number of CPUID programs (both of the programs from AMD's website
plus cpu-z, from cpuid.com). They all seem to "tell me what I want to hear."
If I'm running it as an Athlon 2500+, it tells me that it's an Athlon 2500+.
If I run it as an Athlon 1900+ (133x11), it tells me that it's an Athlon
1900+. Even the EAX value changes depending on what speed I'm running at.

Also, on one of my reboots, I tried setting the multiplier to something other
than 11. It seemed to work, but I need to investigate further to see if it
actually runs at a different multiplier. Aren't all Athlon XP 3200+ chips
locked at 11? The lock doesn't change if I lower the bus speed, does it?
i.e. if I'm running at 166MHz instead of 200MHz, should I be able to increase
the multiplier? I'd have assumed that the answer was "no."

To sum up - is there any way to know whether or not I'm a victim of CPU fraud?
I've still got time before mWave's 30-day warranty on the chip runs out, and
if this chip does turn out to be bad, I want to know ASAP. :-(

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can offer.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:46:36 -0400, Erik Harris wrote:

> Given that stickers can be easily defrauded, how do I know what CPU I've got?

Well, I assume that the default FSB speed would be set to 200 via the
bridges. If so, this would be easy to confirm by just looking at them. My
guess is that you have some other problem, but it's hard to say what that
might be. Ram, settings, PSU, etc. My first guess would be ram or ram
settings.

> I've tried a number of CPUID programs (both of the programs from AMD's
> website plus cpu-z, from cpuid.com). They all seem to "tell me what I
> want to hear." If I'm running it as an Athlon 2500+, it tells me that
> it's an Athlon 2500+. If I run it as an Athlon 1900+ (133x11), it tells
> me that it's an Athlon 1900+. Even the EAX value changes depending on
> what speed I'm running at.

All these software programs determine the CPU model by cache size and
speed, so you can't really tell what it was actually sold as via software.

> Aren't all Athlon XP 3200+ chips locked at 11?

Should be, but that doesn't mean you can't 'try' and chnage it.

> The lock doesn't change if I lower the bus speed, does it?

No.
> To sum up - is there any way to know whether or not I'm a victim of CPU
> fraud?

Inspect the bridges of the cpu. Send it to AMD to confirm.

my suggestion is to check the 200fsb jumper on your motherboard. the a7n8x
boards have a manual jumper to allow 200fsb, on my a7n8x-dlx rev2.0, that
particular jumper is just below the CPU socket, albelled 'cpu fsb'. 1-2 will
give you 133/166 and 2-3 will allow fsb200. Not sure why they did this, but
that would be my first check.

"Erik Harris" <n-wsr-ader@-harrishom-.com> wrote in message
> I bought an XP 3200+, and the sticker on the chip looks right, gives me
all
> the right data, but any sticker can be stuck onto any CPU. I'm having
trouble
> getting this thing running at the proper speed in my new A7N8X-E Deluxe
> motherboard, and I'm not sure which is bad, the CPU or the MoBo (but I
suspect
> the CPU). I bought the OEM chip from what I've always considered to be a
> reputable seller (mWave.com, I've purchased a few things from them over
the
> last 3 years or so, so they're not a fly-by-night place), but I'm
suspecting
> that they might have sold me a rebadged chip (their supplier might be at
> fault, or they might be less reputable than I thought).
>
> Quite often, the Asus Voice POST feature tells me "system failed due to
CPU
> overclocking" and won't boot up, especially if I try running at 200x11. I
can
> pretty consistently run at 166x11, and the chip is recognized as a 2500+.
>
> Given that stickers can be easily defrauded, how do I know what CPU I've
got?
> I've tried a number of CPUID programs (both of the programs from AMD's
website
> plus cpu-z, from cpuid.com). They all seem to "tell me what I want to
hear."
> If I'm running it as an Athlon 2500+, it tells me that it's an Athlon
2500+.
> If I run it as an Athlon 1900+ (133x11), it tells me that it's an Athlon
> 1900+. Even the EAX value changes depending on what speed I'm running at.
>
> Also, on one of my reboots, I tried setting the multiplier to something
other
> than 11. It seemed to work, but I need to investigate further to see if
it
> actually runs at a different multiplier. Aren't all Athlon XP 3200+ chips
> locked at 11? The lock doesn't change if I lower the bus speed, does it?
> i.e. if I'm running at 166MHz instead of 200MHz, should I be able to
increase
> the multiplier? I'd have assumed that the answer was "no."
>
> To sum up - is there any way to know whether or not I'm a victim of CPU
fraud?
> I've still got time before mWave's 30-day warranty on the chip runs out,
and
> if this chip does turn out to be bad, I want to know ASAP. :-(
>
> Thank you very much in advance for any help you can offer.

wookie

The only real way that I know is to take the CPU fan off and look at the
serial number on the back of the CPU. Then you can 'spec' out your CPU
type. You can go to an AMD site and tell what the serial code means.

for the Athlons http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

for the Ahtlon 64's http://www.amdboard.com/amd64_opn.html

The SW route is good ... but you're right it will tell you what is coming
from the motherboard persepctive and tha can be altered by mulitplier
settings and what not. You might have to up your CPU voltage a wee bit to
get stable, don't know if other people have had this problem with A7N8X's
before or not .. could be just your individaul MB too, MB's can differ from
each other somewhat.
..
You may just have a flaky MB .. and also not all CPU's are created equal
either .. some tiems it is the luck of the draw as to whether a CPU is good
or bad. You would hope that quality assurance would get rid of the bad
chips though.

"David Bushnell" <ex(underscore)boss@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> my suggestion is to check the 200fsb jumper on your motherboard. the a7n8x
> boards have a manual jumper to allow 200fsb, on my a7n8x-dlx rev2.0, that
> particular jumper is just below the CPU socket, albelled 'cpu fsb'. 1-2
will
> give you 133/166 and 2-3 will allow fsb200. Not sure why they did this,
but
> that would be my first check.

I think thats to enable the use of Thunderbird Chips. Not 200x2, but
actually 100x2

hamman

you're right, my bad

"Hamman" <none@example.com> wrote in message

> "David Bushnell" <ex(underscore)boss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > my suggestion is to check the 200fsb jumper on your motherboard. the
a7n8x
> > boards have a manual jumper to allow 200fsb, on my a7n8x-dlx rev2.0,
that
> > particular jumper is just below the CPU socket, albelled 'cpu fsb'. 1-2
> will
> > give you 133/166 and 2-3 will allow fsb200. Not sure why they did this,
> but
> > that would be my first check.
>
> I think thats to enable the use of Thunderbird Chips. Not 200x2, but
> actually 100x2
>
> hamman

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:53:34 GMT, "David Bushnell"
<ex(underscore)boss@hotmail.com> wrote:

>my suggestion is to check the 200fsb jumper on your motherboard. the a7n8x
>boards have a manual jumper to allow 200fsb, on my a7n8x-dlx rev2.0, that
>particular jumper is just below the CPU socket, albelled 'cpu fsb'. 1-2 will
>give you 133/166 and 2-3 will allow fsb200. Not sure why they did this, but
>that would be my first check.

That jumper is to run at _200FSB_, not a 200MHz FSB, the difference being the
DDR factor. The 2-3 setting is for 100MHz/200FSB (old Athlon chips), and the
1-2 setting is for 133/166/200MHz, or 266/333/400FSB.

It's set properly. The problem was CPU fraud. :( Not only did they replace
the label, but they modified the chip somehow to boot up at 200MHz by
default. Lots of details on the AMD forum here:
<http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=21632>

--
Erik Harris n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com
AIM: KngFuJoe http://www.eharrishome.com

The above email address is obfuscated to try to prevent SPAM.
Replace each dollar sign with an "e" for the correct address.

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:15:16 GMT, "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote:

>The only real way that I know is to take the CPU fan off and look at the
>serial number on the back of the CPU. Then you can 'spec' out your CPU
>type. You can go to an AMD site and tell what the serial code means.

>for the Athlons http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

As I said, the number is correct for a 3200+.. But it's on a sticker for the
newer Athlons (T-Bird and newer? Something like that). Stickers are easily
replaced.

Unfortunately, I was sold a 2500+ that was relabeled and modified, but the
people who did it weren't smart enough to test the chip to make sure it'd
actually run at 3200+. I can't even getting it running reliably at 2500+
now. I've got a replacement (from another vendor, not mWave.com, who sold me
the fraudulent CPU) on the way, should be here tomorrow.

As I said in my previous post, the details of my problem and its solution are
on the AMD Support Forum at