Do I need for memory

I have 512 gb on my computer. My resources use up around 346. Would it be
worth my while to get more memory? Would I notice a big difference in
speed? I have a new computer but do notice at times that it is sluggish and
the tech is telling me that more memory would help. If I have 512 and am
only using 346 - in my estimation that leaves 166 just laying around doing
nothing. Why do they say more? Can someone explain this to me. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about memory

    In news:e6ZeX5vnFHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> had this to say:

    > I have 512 gb on my computer. My resources use up around 346. Would
    > it be worth my while to get more memory? Would I notice a big
    > difference in speed? I have a new computer but do notice at times
    > that it is sluggish and the tech is telling me that more memory would
    > help. If I have 512 and am only using 346 - in my estimation that
    > leaves 166 just laying around doing nothing. Why do they say more? Can
    > someone explain this to me. Thanks.

    Adding more is certainly beneficial however Windows will happily keep eating
    RAM as fast as you add it for the most part. Feel free to upgrade though,
    you will notice things like the disk browsing speeding up. In the mean time
    delete your cache, defrag, and get rid of some of the running processes and
    perhaps check to see if there's some malware eating at your resources.

    Malware Cleaning :
    http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> wrote...
    >I have 512 gb on my computer. My resources use up around 346. Would it be
    >worth my while to get more memory? Would I notice a big difference in speed?
    >I have a new computer but do notice at times that it is sluggish and the tech
    >is telling me that more memory would help. If I have 512 and am only using
    >346 - in my estimation that leaves 166 just laying around doing nothing.

    Is that 346 MB in use without any applications running? If something is
    running, what is it?

    Background apps like Norton Antivirus are resource hogs and can use a
    substantial amount of RAM and CPU time. Upgrading to 1 GB RAM can help a lot,
    but controlling the number and type of background apps may help as well.

Computers Memory Windows XP