Do I need MORE memory - sorry, wrong subject b4

I have 512 gb on my computer. My resources use up around 346. Would it be
worth my while to get more memory? Would I notice a big difference in
speed? I have a new computer but do notice at times that it is sluggish and
the tech is telling me that more memory would help. If I have 512 and am
only using 346 - in my estimation that leaves 166 just laying around doing
nothing. Why do they say more? Can someone explain this to me. Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about memory sorry wrong subject

    In news:%23UV7T8vnFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    PattiChati <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> had this to say:

    > I have 512 gb on my computer. My resources use up around 346. Would
    > it be worth my while to get more memory? Would I notice a big
    > difference in speed? I have a new computer but do notice at times
    > that it is sluggish and the tech is telling me that more memory would
    > help. If I have 512 and am only using 346 - in my estimation that
    > leaves 166 just laying around doing nothing. Why do they say more? Can
    > someone explain this to me. Thanks.

    That's alright, I answered the other one. When you've been in the groups
    long enough you learn to completely ignore the subject line for the most
    part. Often people put incorrect information in there, the entire question
    in there, and something completely different in there. I, at any rate, tend
    to just look past them these days and open the top half dozen as I go
    through the groups.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Most people will not notice a great difference between 512 meg of RAM and
    1024 meg of RAM.

    If you are into heavy video editing it may be a benefit to you. Also
    (definitely) it is useful if you use a program such as VirtualPC or VMWare
    Workstation.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> wrote in message
    >I have 512 gb on my computer. My resources use up around 346. Would it be
    > worth my while to get more memory? Would I notice a big difference in
    > speed? I have a new computer but do notice at times that it is sluggish
    > and
    > the tech is telling me that more memory would help. If I have 512 and am
    > only using 346 - in my estimation that leaves 166 just laying around doing
    > nothing. Why do they say more? Can someone explain this to me. Thanks.

    Without more details about your computer hardware specifications, we can not
    "truely" give you a definiate answer. If you are using "on-board" (built
    onto the motherboard) video that it is also using some of your RAM for the
    displaying of the "info" onto your monitor.

    Most people are recommending 512MB to 2GB of RAM for most everyday use.
    1GB to 4GB for "heavy" 3D
    gaming use
    4GB for video-editing /
    graphic design.

    "PattiChati" <PattiChati@anywhere.invalid> wrote in message
    >I have 512 gb on my computer. My resources use up around 346. Would it be
    > worth my while to get more memory? Would I notice a big difference in
    > speed? I have a new computer but do notice at times that it is sluggish
    > and
    > the tech is telling me that more memory would help. If I have 512 and am
    > only using 346 - in my estimation that leaves 166 just laying around doing
    > nothing. Why do they say more? Can someone explain this to me. Thanks.

Computers Memory Windows XP