best mobo

Hi, im thinking of upgrading my mobo. At the moment I am using the asrock
k7s8x. I have a athlon xp2500 with cheep ram. Im looking for a mobo that
would allow me to overclock, any suggestions.
thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about best mobo

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:10:34 +0000, btinternet wrote:

    > Hi, im thinking of upgrading my mobo. At the moment I am using the asrock
    > k7s8x. I have a athlon xp2500 with cheep ram. Im looking for a mobo that
    > would allow me to overclock, any suggestions.
    > thanks

    Abit NF7-S

    Larry Gagnon
    --
    ********************************
    to reply via email remove "fake"

    "Larry Gagnon" <lagagnon@fakeuniserve.com> wrote in message

    " Abit NF7-S "

    ....ver 2.0

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:10:34 +0000, btinternet wrote:

    > Hi, im thinking of upgrading my mobo. At the moment I am using the asrock
    > k7s8x. I have a athlon xp2500 with cheep ram. Im looking for a mobo that
    > would allow me to overclock, any suggestions.

    Yes, use the one you have. I overclocked a 2100+ to over 2400MHz (default
    is 1733MHz) with that exact board. if you don't know how to overclock,
    another board isn't going to help you. So lets see, with that cpu I'd set
    the FSB to 200MHz, maybe raise vcore with the pinmod, and run the ram at
    166MHz, assuming you have at least PC2700 ram..That would give you a
    3200+. Or for something less drastic, set the ram to 133MHz and the FSB
    to about 180. Probably won't need to raise vcore for this. that would be
    aabout the same as a 2800+.

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:10:34 +0000, btinternet wrote:

    I should have told you I ran my 2100+ at 13x185 @1.80v vcore.for 2405 MHz
    on the K7S8X board.

    A NF7-S could make overclocking a great deal easier because of (among other
    things) the adjustable core voltage... not everyone is happy doing pin-mods.

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:38:27 +0100, BigBadger wrote:

    > A NF7-S could make overclocking a great deal easier because of (among other
    > things) the adjustable core voltage... not everyone is happy doing pin-mods.

    I can use his board and overclock 10 times faster than replacing the board
    with a completely different chipset in which everything will have to be
    re-done. Not to mention saving the money for the new board.:-)

    I'm sure 'you' could Wes... but we are talking about someone with not much
    experience who may not be happy with wiring pins and cutting bridges.
    However your point is taken, there is no reason to change the motherboard
    unless he has reached to limit of the current system.

    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:38:27 +0100, BigBadger wrote:
    >
    >> A NF7-S could make overclocking a great deal easier because of (among
    >> other
    >> things) the adjustable core voltage... not everyone is happy doing
    >> pin-mods.
    >
    > I can use his board and overclock 10 times faster than replacing the board
    > with a completely different chipset in which everything will have to be
    > re-done. Not to mention saving the money for the new board.:-)

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    If you're feeling adventurous, then the DFI Infinity - it gets x 2 2 x
    memory timings at 265 FSB out of the box !
    But these boards have had their share of QC and design issues : -
    Some boards won't run the full 2.0 v-core and others have had an assortment
    of cold/warm boot issues.
    But if you go NF2 (and it is without a shadow, THE best o/c'ing chipset),
    get a spare BIOS chip since BIOS corruption is a feature of young boards
    (just hotflash the corrupt chip).
    The Abit NF7 is a solid board, but won't get quite the spectacular results
    of the DFI.

    "btinternet" <leigh.holman@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, im thinking of upgrading my mobo. At the moment I am using the asrock
    > k7s8x. I have a athlon xp2500 with cheep ram. Im looking for a mobo that
    > would allow me to overclock, any suggestions.
    > thanks

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > If you're feeling adventurous, then the DFI Infinity - it gets x 2 2 x
    > memory timings at 265 FSB out of the box !
    > But these boards have had their share of QC and design issues : -
    > Some boards won't run the full 2.0 v-core and others have had an
    assortment
    > of cold/warm boot issues.
    > But if you go NF2 (and it is without a shadow, THE best o/c'ing chipset),
    > get a spare BIOS chip since BIOS corruption is a feature of young boards
    > (just hotflash the corrupt chip).
    > The Abit NF7 is a solid board, but won't get quite the spectacular results
    > of the DFI.

    I would have to say to not go with a DFI board. My first was a LanParty nF2
    Ultra, that had a maor fault, XP wouldnt install to begin with and things
    got worse untill it wouldnt POST at all.
    Then i got an Infnity nF2, which didnt like one of my three sticks of ram.
    The stick works fine in another pc.

    They are fast though...

    hamman
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > I would have to say to not go with a DFI board. My first was a LanParty
    > nF2
    > Ultra, that had a maor fault, XP wouldnt install to begin with and things
    > got worse untill it wouldnt POST at all.
    > Then i got an Infnity nF2, which didnt like one of my three sticks of ram.
    > The stick works fine in another pc.
    >
    > They are fast though...
    >
    > hamman

    Not much point being fast if they are too unstable to load Windows LOL
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
    > "Larry Gagnon" <lagagnon@fakeuniserve.com> wrote in message
    >
    > " Abit NF7-S "
    >

    > ...ver 2.0

    Hello,

    If I had an Abit NF7 Rev. 2.0 could I do al the same things as with the -S
    board (exept for sata-raid ofcourse) ?

    Thanks in advance, Peter

AMD Overclocking Hardware