2500+ Operating Temperature

I have a 2500+ (not overclocked--it's doing 1837.xx mhz) on a K7N2 Delta-L
mobo with the stock heatsink/fan combo, and I'm getting CPU temps of 61-63
celsius while doing normal tasks (such as writing this post). This seems a
mite high...I added a second intake fan the other day and that didn't help
matters. I may buy a third-party fan/heatsink combo to see if that improves
matters, but in the meantime can anyone offer some basic advice on how to
lower the temp? I've got two fans blowing in and one blowing out, and am
using a nice Antec case with a solid power supply, so it's not like low-
quality hardware is a factor.

"Andrew Johnston" <andrewjnycx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a 2500+ (not overclocked--it's doing 1837.xx mhz) on a K7N2 Delta-L
> mobo with the stock heatsink/fan combo, and I'm getting CPU temps of 61-63
> celsius while doing normal tasks (such as writing this post). This seems a
> mite high...I added a second intake fan the other day and that didn't help
> matters. I may buy a third-party fan/heatsink combo to see if that
improves
> matters, but in the meantime can anyone offer some basic advice on how to
> lower the temp? I've got two fans blowing in and one blowing out, and am
> using a nice Antec case with a solid power supply, so it's not like low-
> quality hardware is a factor.
Remove the heatsink assembly and clean it off...then apply a thin layer of
thermal paste and re-install
OZoNE

Andrew Johnston wrote:
> I have a 2500+ (not overclocked--it's doing 1837.xx mhz) on a K7N2
> Delta-L mobo with the stock heatsink/fan combo, and I'm getting CPU
> temps of 61-63 celsius while doing normal tasks (such as writing this
> post).

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean much. For starters, idle temps are almost
useless for determining whether something is too hot or not. Some
motherboard use halt disconnect, which drops the idle temperature
significantly, whereas others do not. What you need to do is get BurnK7 and
use that to stress the CPU. Secondly, comparing temperatures between systems
doesn't mean much either. Socket temperatures can vary by as much as 40 deg
C between systems for the same setup, and diode temperatures by 20 deg C. It
depends on how good the temperature reading hardware is, and what
"correction factors" the board manufacturers have used in the BIOS. So
they're only good for relative comparisons, in the sense that you can see
whether a particular change improves or harms your cooling setup, but can't
compare HSF {x} on your system with HSF {y}on a different one.

And finally, temperatures don't really matter a great deal. You'll have
stability problems (Prime95, not games) before you get to the point of
causing damage to your chip as long as you're running a sane VCore
(definition of "sane" varies greatly, but below stock+10% shouldn't be a
problem).

[...]

--
Michael Brown