Hi,
I am installing a new HDD as a Slave onto my system but when I add it to the
cable and go into the Bios my system doesn't 'see' either the new HDD or the
HDD that is set as Master and has been installed happily for more than a
year.

I have tried the drive in both places on both IDE cables also with the
jumpers set for both Master and Slave. Where ever I place it on the cable
all drives on that cable become unseeable.

The new HDD is a replacement for another (same make and Model (Hitachi
Deskstar, Model HDS722512VLAT20). The old one just stopped working. Still
spinning but the Bios stopped picking it up.

Any thoughts would be great. I am thinking that I have a dud new HDD?

Cheers
Lenny

Try jumpering both drives as Cable Select.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"lenny" <lenny109@takeout.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am installing a new HDD as a Slave onto my system but when I add it to
the
> cable and go into the Bios my system doesn't 'see' either the new HDD or
the
> HDD that is set as Master and has been installed happily for more than a
> year.
>
> I have tried the drive in both places on both IDE cables also with the
> jumpers set for both Master and Slave. Where ever I place it on the cable
> all drives on that cable become unseeable.
>
> The new HDD is a replacement for another (same make and Model (Hitachi
> Deskstar, Model HDS722512VLAT20). The old one just stopped working. Still
> spinning but the Bios stopped picking it up.
>
> Any thoughts would be great. I am thinking that I have a dud new HDD?
>
> Cheers
> Lenny

Yes I have tried that. The only difference with that configuration is when I
am in the Bios and try to detect the HDD is tries for about 20 seconds
instead of 2 seconds but still finds nothing.

> Try jumpering both drives as Cable Select.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "lenny" <lenny109@takeout.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I am installing a new HDD as a Slave onto my system but when I add it to
> the
>> cable and go into the Bios my system doesn't 'see' either the new HDD or
> the
>> HDD that is set as Master and has been installed happily for more than a
>> year.
>>
>> I have tried the drive in both places on both IDE cables also with the
>> jumpers set for both Master and Slave. Where ever I place it on the cable
>> all drives on that cable become unseeable.
>>
>> The new HDD is a replacement for another (same make and Model (Hitachi
>> Deskstar, Model HDS722512VLAT20). The old one just stopped working.
>> Still
>> spinning but the Bios stopped picking it up.
>>
>> Any thoughts would be great. I am thinking that I have a dud new HDD?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lenny

You sure you have a good cable? Perhaps try with another one.

--

> Yes I have tried that. The only difference with that configuration is when
> am in the Bios and try to detect the HDD is tries for about 20 seconds
> instead of 2 seconds but still finds nothing.

> > Try jumpering both drives as Cable Select.
> >
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> > "You can do it if you try."
> >
> > "lenny" <lenny109@takeout.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> I am installing a new HDD as a Slave onto my system but when I add it
> > the
> >> cable and go into the Bios my system doesn't 'see' either the new HDD
or
> > the
> >> HDD that is set as Master and has been installed happily for more than
> >> year.
> >>
> >> I have tried the drive in both places on both IDE cables also with the
> >> jumpers set for both Master and Slave. Where ever I place it on the
cable
> >> all drives on that cable become unseeable.
> >>
> >> The new HDD is a replacement for another (same make and Model (Hitachi
> >> Deskstar, Model HDS722512VLAT20). The old one just stopped working.
> >> Still
> >> spinning but the Bios stopped picking it up.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts would be great. I am thinking that I have a dud new HDD?
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Lenny

I have tried the two cables in the computer plus the new one that came with
the HDD and another computer that also has two.

> You sure you have a good cable? Perhaps try with another one.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "lenny" <lenny109@takeout.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yes I have tried that. The only difference with that configuration is
>> when
>> am in the Bios and try to detect the HDD is tries for about 20 seconds
>> instead of 2 seconds but still finds nothing.
>>

>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Try jumpering both drives as Cable Select.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ted Zieglar
>> > "You can do it if you try."
>> >
>> > "lenny" <lenny109@takeout.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > the
> or
>> > the

> cable

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I have tried the two cables in the computer plus the new one
> that came with
> the HDD and another computer that also has two.

> > You sure you have a good cable? Perhaps try with another
> one.
> >
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> > "You can do it if you try."
> >
> > "lenny" <lenny109@takeout.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Yes I have tried that. The only difference with that
> configuration is
> >> when
> >> am in the Bios and try to detect the HDD is tries for about
> 20 seconds
> >> instead of 2 seconds but still finds nothing.
> >>

> >> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message

> when I add it
> either the new HDD
> > or
> for more than

> also with the
> place it on the
> > cable

> Model (Hitachi
> stopped working.

> dud new HDD?

Have you tried the HD’s on seperate channles?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-installing-HDD-problems-ftopict408029.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1354735

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:21:16 +0100, lenny wrote:

> Hi,
> I am installing a new HDD as a Slave onto my system but when I add it to the
> cable and go into the Bios my system doesn't 'see' either the new HDD or the
> HDD that is set as Master and has been installed happily for more than a
> year.
>
> I have tried the drive in both places on both IDE cables also with the
> jumpers set for both Master and Slave. Where ever I place it on the cable
> all drives on that cable become unseeable.
>
> The new HDD is a replacement for another (same make and Model (Hitachi
> Deskstar, Model HDS722512VLAT20). The old one just stopped working. Still
> spinning but the Bios stopped picking it up.
>
> Any thoughts would be great. I am thinking that I have a dud new HDD?
>
> Cheers
> Lenny

Is the drive formatted?
--
r.s.nevin@att.net

how can I format the drive if the computer cann't even recorgnise that it is
there? The Bios doesn't see it.

<Bob@see-below-for-address.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:21:16 +0100, lenny wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am installing a new HDD as a Slave onto my system but when I add it to
>> the
>> cable and go into the Bios my system doesn't 'see' either the new HDD or
>> the
>> HDD that is set as Master and has been installed happily for more than a
>> year.
>>
>> I have tried the drive in both places on both IDE cables also with the
>> jumpers set for both Master and Slave. Where ever I place it on the cable
>> all drives on that cable become unseeable.
>>
>> The new HDD is a replacement for another (same make and Model (Hitachi
>> Deskstar, Model HDS722512VLAT20). The old one just stopped working.
>> Still
>> spinning but the Bios stopped picking it up.
>>
>> Any thoughts would be great. I am thinking that I have a dud new HDD?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lenny
>
> Is the drive formatted?
> --
> r.s.nevin@att.net

Hi,,
Not sure what you mean! I have tried the new HDD on both connections in the
cable also 2 different cables and 2 differnet computers. I have also tried
it on the HD slot 1 and the 2nd slot for the CD RW. Both positions on the
cable too. I have also set the jumpers to Master, Slave and cable select.
Always the same result, nothing. Also always the same result that if I
connect the HHD to any cable, what ever other drive is also connected to
that cable is then also unreadable by the computer.
Cheers