Copper Shim Question

mark

Do you guys and gals think these copper shims are worth buying? Do they
really make a cooling difference if your going to use a Copper HS?

--
Mark
MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

"Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Do you guys and gals think these copper shims are worth buying? Do they
> really make a cooling difference if your going to use a Copper HS?
>
> --
> Mark
> MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

Copper makes a big difference no matter what.
But if I were you, I'd get one of the Tt's that's already mostly copper.
Even gold is not as good as a conductor as copper.
The spark 5 I have might be getting old, came out in like 2002 or before.
But it's nice @ least on my P4, I'm sure something almost like it would
do good on the 2200+ as well.
21ºC/69.8ºF Are my Idle temps, sorry, I don't have prime95 temps.

Denny. ;-) :)

The original use for shims was not for better cooling. They were really made
for protecting the CPU core from cracking when installing the heatsink. A shim
would keep the heatsink from rocking back and forth and damaging the corner of
the chip.
I've read many articles that say copper shims do nothing to improve cooling.

Mark wrote:
> Do you guys and gals think these copper shims are worth buying? Do
> they really make a cooling difference if your going to use a Copper
> HS?

Oh dear, I sense this is going to turn into a huge flame-fest ...
Theoretically, a shim (no matter what it's made of) does very little (either
positively or negatively) for cooling because the substrate has such a high
thermal resistance. I've never seen anything that shows more than a degree
or two change, which is within the margin of error due to re-installing a
heatsink. I know it requires more effort, but it would be nice to see a site
do a statitically valid test of things instead of doing single runs.

That said, some people swear that they increased their overclock, and some
say that they decreased it. My opinion is that it doesn't have any effect on
the cooling system, but it probably useful if you've never installed a
socket-A heatsink before. I've done at least a hundred HSF installs without
a shim and have never had any problems (even with those nasty
screwdriver-rejecting clips) but YMMV :)

--
Michael Brown

mark

OK...thanks....just wondering if the few extra bucks are worth it...I
figured if I bought a good cooper HS it won't make a difference with a shim.

--
Mark
MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
> Mark wrote:
> > Do you guys and gals think these copper shims are worth buying? Do
> > they really make a cooling difference if your going to use a Copper
> > HS?
>
> Oh dear, I sense this is going to turn into a huge flame-fest ...
> Theoretically, a shim (no matter what it's made of) does very little
(either
> positively or negatively) for cooling because the substrate has such a
high
> thermal resistance. I've never seen anything that shows more than a degree
> or two change, which is within the margin of error due to re-installing a
> heatsink. I know it requires more effort, but it would be nice to see a
site
> do a statitically valid test of things instead of doing single runs.
>
> That said, some people swear that they increased their overclock, and some
> say that they decreased it. My opinion is that it doesn't have any effect
on
> the cooling system, but it probably useful if you've never installed a
> socket-A heatsink before. I've done at least a hundred HSF installs
without
> a shim and have never had any problems (even with those nasty
> screwdriver-rejecting clips) but YMMV :)
>
> --
> Michael Brown
> www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :)
> Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Michael et al. the shim will make no
difference to the cooling but it will help avoid damaging the core of the
CPU if you decide to change the HSF along the way.
IMO.

Robin

mark

So do you really need one for protection then??

--
Mark
MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

> So do you really need one for protection then??
>
> --
> Mark
> MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

that depends if you have any practical skills...

;)

Mark wrote:
> Do you guys and gals think these copper shims are worth buying? Do
> they really make a cooling difference if your going to use a Copper
> HS?

You don't buy a copper shim for cooling. You buy it to protect the core
from being smashed when installing the HSF.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:49:42 -0400, "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>Do you guys and gals think these copper shims are worth buying? Do they
>really make a cooling difference if your going to use a Copper HS?

Yes definitely worth it, I keep a spare on in the drawer in case I
have a leaking chip pan that needs repairing.

That's all they are good for. Shims and Arctic Silver were the most
hyped, overblown product on the world stage untill this week that was,
..............now the ' Olympics ' has taken over the number one spot.

BoroLad

> Yes definitely worth it, I keep a spare on in the drawer in case I
> have a leaking chip pan that needs repairing.
>
> That's all they are good for. Shims and Arctic Silver were the most
> hyped, overblown product on the world stage untill this week that was,
> .............now the ' Olympics ' has taken over the number one spot.
>
> BoroLad

LOL..... There have been at least 5 versions of Arctic Silver and also
Arctic Aluminia and Ceramique thrown in for good measure. The strange thing
is in all the tests every new Arctic version does 2 to 3 Deg C better than
the previous type. Now add them all together and Arctic Silver 5 should be
12 to 17 Deg C cooler than the original Arctic Silver! At this rate, by the
time it gets to Arctic Silver 10 we should be approaching sub-zero temps on
air cooling !!!!!... I can hardly wait.
Or maybe the fact that the sites who do the tests either sell directly, or
get revenue from adverts for, Arctic products, has something to do with it
;o)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:25:31 +0100, "BigBadger"
<big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>*****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
>> Yes definitely worth it, I keep a spare on in the drawer in case I
>> have a leaking chip pan that needs repairing.

>> That's all they are good for. Shims and Arctic Silver were the most
>> hyped, overblown product on the world stage untill this week that was,
>> .............now the ' Olympics ' has taken over the number one spot.

>> BoroLad

>LOL..... There have been at least 5 versions of Arctic Silver and also
>Arctic Aluminia and Ceramique thrown in for good measure. The strange thing
>is in all the tests every new Arctic version does 2 to 3 Deg C better than
>the previous type. Now add them all together and Arctic Silver 5 should be
>12 to 17 Deg C cooler than the original Arctic Silver! At this rate, by the
>time it gets to Arctic Silver 10 we should be approaching sub-zero temps on
>air cooling !!!!!... I can hardly wait.

Yeh, eventually some marketing type will proclaim that it's -6ºC
because of the recently introduced ' nano technology water cooling '
element.

When people complain they can't see [ Emperor new clothes ] the
radiator or pipes they'll be told . . . exactly !, . . . that's the
point of nano - it's reduced to the point where the human eye can't
see it, go on buy some more!

>Or maybe the fact that the sites who do the tests either sell directly, or
>get revenue from adverts for, Arctic products, has something to do with it
>;o)

Well you banged that nail in where it belongs. If they paid me I'd
prove [ by the usual ' lies lies & statistics ] how much better this
version is than the last ... .... honest !

8-;)
BoroLad

N.B excellent point on the reductive " 12 to 17 Deg C cooler "

"neopolaris" <.> wrote in message news:10i54esmavf641c@corp.supernews.com...

> Mark wrote:
>> Do you guys and gals think these copper shims are worth buying? Do
>> they really make a cooling difference if your going to use a Copper
>> HS?
>
> You don't buy a copper shim for cooling. You buy it to protect the core
> from being smashed when installing the HSF.

Then why do they make them from copper????... it's about the worst choice of
material, ideally it should be something non electrically conductive
(plastic?).
Don't get me wrong... I know shims do nothing for cooling, but I believe
that the manufacturers of these things use the myth that 'anything made of
copper will magically improve your cooling' to sell their product.... after
all a shim made from plastic would be far less appealing.

BigBadger wrote:
> *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
> "neopolaris" <.> wrote in message
>>

>> Mark wrote:
>>> Do you guys and gals think these copper shims are worth buying? Do
>>> they really make a cooling difference if your going to use a Copper
>>> HS?
>>
>> You don't buy a copper shim for cooling. You buy it to protect the
>> core from being smashed when installing the HSF.
>>
> Then why do they make them from copper????... it's about the worst
> choice of material, ideally it should be something non electrically
> conductive (plastic?).
> Don't get me wrong... I know shims do nothing for cooling, but I
> believe that the manufacturers of these things use the myth that
> 'anything made of copper will magically improve your cooling' to sell
> their product.... after all a shim made from plastic would be far
> less appealing.

It's just marketing. I remember when they first came out. It was soon
after that the non-conductive ones began to show up.

There are some out that are not copper. I've seen aluminum and even plastic.

borolad@myowseintheboro.org astounded us with:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:49:42 -0400, "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Do you guys and gals think these copper shims are worth buying? Do they
>>really make a cooling difference if your going to use a Copper HS?
>
> Yes definitely worth it, I keep a spare on in the drawer in case I
> have a leaking chip pan that needs repairing.
>
> That's all they are good for. Shims and Arctic Silver were the most
> hyped, overblown product on the world stage untill this week that was,
> .............now the ' Olympics ' has taken over the number one spot.
>
> BoroLad

I was so impressed with Arctic Silver Ceramique, I used the thermal pad that
came attached to the HSF of my new XP2000+ .....

Mark wrote:

> Do you guys and gals think these copper shims are worth buying?

I bought it. It is good for processor, couse it saves processor.

> Do they
> really make a cooling difference

No, it's not difference...

--
[ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE] [ATHLON XP 1600+ 1400MHz@1683MHz] [DDR 256 MB KINGSTON
PC-2700] [LITEON 16102B] [MAXTOR 30 GB 7200rpm 2MB] [MAXTOR 80 GB 7200rpm