Tim Cook Confirms Plans for New Mac Pro Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLanighan

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]the only mac that is worth paying 2000$[/citation]

The cheapest mac pro is $2500 and is about as powerful as an $800 PC... soooo no.

G

The fastest PC in the world just got faster a few days ago, now they are already talking about making it even better?!

WOW! CAN'T WAIT! I was going to cancel my order for the new one announced this week, but I think I may just get both instead!

G

I hope I can get my mom to take out a loan, I want 4 of these!

G

[citation][nom]Iloveapple[/nom]I hope I can get my mom to take out a loan, I want 4 of these![/citation]

I noe rite? Ima get me at least 2, 1 4 looken at facebook n twitter, n da otha 1 4 runnen gamez n torrentz lul.

G

the power of religion. you buying an apple product feels like donating the extra money to the church. the same feeling that believe at facebook holds the key to the future.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]they offered dual xeons and they are fully customizable[/citation]

and the computer alone costs over 14000$

macs had a place a long time ago, when they offered more ram than others, now, they have final cut, thats it, that is the only reason to get a mac is final cut, and only if you are doing video professionally. beyond that, just get a pc, and windows 7.

Even considering FInal Cut, you are better to make your PC as hardware similiar to the mac pro (not too hard to do anyways) and either Hackintosh It (dual boot another OS if need be) or run OSX in a VM

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]they offered dual xeons and they are fully customizable[/citation]
Yea but the cheapest one is $2500 and is a quad core with 6GB RAM and a 1 TB HDD, aside from being a Xeon I see no reason for $2500 there.

G

surely for TODAY the current macpro are overpriced sh*t, but when it just released the top-end line (default config 12 core xeons sometime in 2010) is one of the cheapest workstation in its category, you might complaint that it only provide a consumer grade graphic card, but considering that macpro is rarely using more than 3 displays, it still gives a decent price for its intended use.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
What I find strange about Cook, in addition to saying that desktop Mac Pro customers are important but have neglected them this time around, is that Apple has the resources (cash, manpower, manufacturing influence) to ensure that their hardware/software refresh can be across the board for their products. At the very least, the Mac Pro refresh could have included USB 3.0, current-generation ATI graphics cards, a less-ridiculous CPU option like Sandy/Ivy Bridge (instead of Xeon), and heck even a generous price drop to improve sales.

G

Hopefully they stop soldering parts in! The new MacBook pros with retina display have soldered cpus, ram and a battery glued in to the system. That's some S**t right there. Pay us lots of money for an alright system with a fantastic display (btw you can't upgrade s**t in it.) It has built in solid state storage so you can't upgrade that either and its sata II not III wtf!!!

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
I have a neighbor who is everything mac.. He paid $3500 for a mac that was slower than my sons $2000 gaming pc.. And his response was "you also pay for the great experience of owning a mac". lol

G

[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]I have a neighbor who is everything mac.. He paid $3500 for a mac that was slower than my sons $2000 gaming pc.. And his response was "you also pay for the great experience of owning a mac". lol[/citation]

Some people use computers for doing REAL work and not playing games and surfing, and most of those are buying Macs. We aren't hobbyists or kids that have time to tinker with things when they break daily. We need our systems to work and not break every day, and you just cannot get that on a platform that isn't *nix / BSD / etc. based.

But cool that your toy games designed for Windows are "faster"; us professionals depend on reliable systems and don't sit at home unemployed playing with toys all day. But cool that you and your child have time for that!

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
[citation][nom]ToysR4KIDS[/nom]Some people use computers for doing REAL work and not playing games and surfing, and most of those are buying Macs. We aren't hobbyists or kids that have time to tinker with things when they break daily. We need our systems to work and not break every day, and you just cannot get that on a platform that isn't *nix / BSD / etc. based.But cool that your toy games designed for Windows are "faster"; us professionals depend on reliable systems and don't sit at home unemployed playing with toys all day. But cool that you and your child have time for that![/citation]

Its quiet interesting the assumptions you make. You assume my son is a child.. You assume myself or/and my son are unemployed. You a professional?..hardly.

I will tell you what I do know. I know my son is a software engineer for a fairly large gaming company. I know my son got into computers in the 90's because I showed him how to put them together either with windows or linux OS, and wanted to know more on how games were made - something you couldn't do with macs. I know he researched macs and didn't like its closed ecosystem - Psystar anyone??

In the end I'm not surprised about your reaction to my post. I've found it to be pretty typical of Mac users to have snobby attitudes toward Windows users. Its also funny how some Mac users trash those that have built a Hackintosh.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]ToysR4KIDS[/nom]Some people use computers for doing REAL work and not playing games and surfing, and most of those are buying Macs. We aren't hobbyists or kids that have time to tinker with things when they break daily. We need our systems to work and not break every day, and you just cannot get that on a platform that isn't *nix / BSD / etc. based.[/citation]

Who buys a Mac to do work outside of Final Cut? What is the point of paying Apple Tax to get work done at a similar rate? What is funny is his $2000 gaming PC can do anything and even more (See: More programs for Windows). I seriously lol'd at the breaking every day comment too. 0 Maintenance on my Home and Work Workstation and surprise surprise... no problems either.

[citation][nom]ToysR4KIDS[/nom]But cool that your toy games designed for Windows are "faster"; us professionals depend on reliable systems and don't sit at home unemployed playing with toys all day. But cool that you and your child have time for that![/citation]

Cool insults there bra, really showing off that "mature adult professional" there. Don't you have some cloverleaf key combo to do to get out of your spinning pinwheel of death?

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]ToysR4KIDS[/nom]But cool that your toy games designed for Windows are "faster"; us professionals depend on reliable systems and don't sit at home unemployed playing with toys all day. But cool that you and your child have time for that![/citation]

Playing with toys all day is what you seem to do Professionally.

And they should be updating this line with all the rest. If they had time to squeeze an Ivy Bridge processor in a MacBookPro, which has size constraints and must be custom machined, they could fit it on a new generation MoBo and slam it in a MacPro. Nearly all the new "enthusiast" Intel-based boards have USB3 support, and quite a few have Thunderbolt support, at the very least though a PCIe-based add-in card.

If Pdamasco's comment is accurate in that the new MacBookPro only uses SATAII, Apple should be ashamed. Current gen SSDs are completely capable of benfitting from SATAIII.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
It's a little sad that Apple essentially ripped off Lian-Li's case designs which forced them to change their style (because people thought they were ripping off Apple).

Maybe this "new" Mac Pro will have a new design. They've been going with the same Matte Aluminum / Black look for FAR too long. It's nice, yes, but it's also boring as hell when every single mac look exactly the same.

That said, it's equally sad that NO PC laptop manufacturer has even thought to make something that competes from a design point of view. Can't someone make a laptop less than an inch thick w/ black brushed aluminum?

Status
Not open for further replies.