A64 running at 34C?

Can this be accurate? Just got the new mobo/cpu(Chaintech VNF3-250,A64 2800)
and idle temp of 34C seems kinda low.All at default speeds and voltage. Using
SiSoft Sandra to get the temps.There's a bug in the bios that shows CPU at 15C.

Ed

On 16 Aug 2004 18:40:57 GMT, yanquidawg@aol.com (YanquiDawg) wrote:

>Can this be accurate? Just got the new mobo/cpu(Chaintech VNF3-250,A64 2800)
>and idle temp of 34C seems kinda low.All at default speeds and voltage. Using
>SiSoft Sandra to get the temps.There's a bug in the bios that shows CPU at 15C.

My 3200+ newcastle idles around 33C on the same mobo (with original
bios), cool and quite is off. Have access to three other A64
(clawhammers) systems running on MSI boards and they idle around 35C
with cool n quite on.

Ed

"YanquiDawg" <yanquidawg@aol.com> wrote in message
> Can this be accurate? Just got the new mobo/cpu(Chaintech VNF3-250,A64
2800)
> and idle temp of 34C seems kinda low.All at default speeds and voltage.
Using
> SiSoft Sandra to get the temps.There's a bug in the bios that shows CPU at
15C.

BIOS temp is likely to be 15-20 degrees higher than that, so if you add that
15-20 to your other temp as well i guess thats a better number.

hamman

YanquiDawg wrote:
> Can this be accurate? Just got the new mobo/cpu(Chaintech
> VNF3-250,A64 2800) and idle temp of 34C seems kinda low.All at
> default speeds and voltage. Using SiSoft Sandra to get the
> temps.There's a bug in the bios that shows CPU at 15C.

What's the room and case temps?

My 2.2Ghz 3400 is at 40C, case is 32, room ~25.

This is with Cool n' Quiet on, and the fan set to automatically adjust -
it's at 1068rpm as I type.

--
Derek

> My 2.2Ghz 3400 is at 40C, case is 32, room ~25.

Is this diode or socket temperature? I couldn't get mine
to lower than 52C idle (diode temp)

Ed

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:41:18 +0200, "notme" <none@none.com> wrote:

>> My 2.2Ghz 3400 is at 40C, case is 32, room ~25.
>
>Is this diode or socket temperature? I couldn't get mine
>to lower than 52C idle (diode temp)

I doubt it's idle at 52C unless something is wrong. Maybe your BIOS is
reading the temps wrong?, last beta bios I tried for my VNF3-250 had the
temps all screwed up.

If you use thermal paste don't cover the whole top of the CPU as it will
actually run hotter, see Artic Silver web site FAQ and Opteron.

Ed

Can't tell you what the case temp is.Sandra says 15C. It also says Power/Aux
temp(whatever that is) is 127C!!!
Room temp is between 74 and 78F. I think I need a new BIOS.LOL!!

>> Can this be accurate? Just got the new mobo/cpu(Chaintech
>> VNF3-250,A64 2800) and idle temp of 34C seems kinda low.All at
>> default speeds and voltage. Using SiSoft Sandra to get the
>> temps.There's a bug in the bios that shows CPU at 15C.
>
>What's the room and case temps?
>
>My 2.2Ghz 3400 is at 40C, case is 32, room ~25.
>
>This is with Cool n' Quiet on, and the fan set to automatically adjust -
>it's at 1068rpm as I type.

Ed

SpeedFan shows TEMP3 at 127C all the time on my VNF3-250 with original
BIOS.

I'm just chatting and surfing,
Room: 25.0C
CPU: 36C
Mobo: 34C
A64 3200+ (2.2/512K/ stock HS, CnQ=Off)
Ed

On 17 Aug 2004 19:24:22 GMT, yanquidawg@aol.com (YanquiDawg) wrote:

>Can't tell you what the case temp is.Sandra says 15C. It also says Power/Aux
>temp(whatever that is) is 127C!!!
>Room temp is between 74 and 78F. I think I need a new BIOS.LOL!!
>
>>> Can this be accurate? Just got the new mobo/cpu(Chaintech
>>> VNF3-250,A64 2800) and idle temp of 34C seems kinda low.All at
>>> default speeds and voltage. Using SiSoft Sandra to get the
>>> temps.There's a bug in the bios that shows CPU at 15C.
>>
>>What's the room and case temps?
>>
>>My 2.2Ghz 3400 is at 40C, case is 32, room ~25.
>>
>>This is with Cool n' Quiet on, and the fan set to automatically adjust -
>>it's at 1068rpm as I type.

joejoe

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2004

On 16 Aug 2004 18:40:57 GMT, yanquidawg@aol.com (YanquiDawg) wrote:

>Can this be accurate? Just got the new mobo/cpu(Chaintech VNF3-250,A64 2800)
>and idle temp of 34C seems kinda low.All at default speeds and voltage. Using
>SiSoft Sandra to get the temps.There's a bug in the bios that shows CPU at 15C.

yeah, i've got a A64/2800, runs idle in the 30's. How low depends on
how big your cpu fan is. was low 30's with 92mm fan, now running
quieter 80mm fan at ~36-37C

I started out gunning for temps, but now I'm looking for quiet.
It just doesn't get all that hot.