Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Recently I replaced my 60 GB laptop drive with a new 100 GB drive. I
tried to use a USB to IDE cable to transfer certain files from the old
drive to the new larger drive. The USB to IDE cable also has a
connector which I attached to the 5V supply from an AT power supply.
The laptop did not recognize the old drive.

I then hooked up the old drive to a desktop machine, using the standard
internal IDE ribbon cable and the power supply cable from the desktop.
I was able to sucessfully read the old drive with the desktop machine.

XP is running on both machines and the file system used is NTFS.

Why is the laptop is not able to read the old drive with the USB cable
connection? I would appreciate any ideas regarding this problem.

Bob

I would get a external hard drive enclosure that has a USB connection on it. They are only about 30
bucks (US). That way you are sure hard drive is getting correct power and connetion.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"Bob" <bob@oller.com> wrote in message news:1123893136.558485.75840@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Recently I replaced my 60 GB laptop drive with a new 100 GB drive. I
> tried to use a USB to IDE cable to transfer certain files from the old
> drive to the new larger drive. The USB to IDE cable also has a
> connector which I attached to the 5V supply from an AT power supply.
> The laptop did not recognize the old drive.
>
> I then hooked up the old drive to a desktop machine, using the standard
> internal IDE ribbon cable and the power supply cable from the desktop.
> I was able to sucessfully read the old drive with the desktop machine.
>

> XP is running on both machines and the file system used is NTFS.
>
> Why is the laptop is not able to read the old drive with the USB cable
> connection? I would appreciate any ideas regarding this problem.
>
> Bob

If you open My Computer what shows there ? please list everything including
drive letters.