How to test PC133 SDRAM Memory

Hello readers.

My brother-in-law has a ECS K7VZA motherboard running Windows 2000 Pro
on a AMD Athlon 900MHz CPU. Not overclocked.

His computer freezes up while using the computer using a Nanya 512MB
PC133 memory stick. When he uses a single 256MB PC133 (Azen I think) the
computer never freezes or locks. Oh yea by the way when we tried two
256MB PC133 memory sticks of different brands the computer locks up. So
that this when we tried a single 512MB stick. Is there a utility or
program that I could run that might be able to test if this 512MB PC133
stick is defective or maybe if its overheating ?

Many thank in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about test pc133 sdram memory

    "Jiggy" <_NO_newsgroup_SPAM_surfer@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello readers.
    >
    > My brother-in-law has a ECS K7VZA motherboard running Windows 2000 Pro
    > on a AMD Athlon 900MHz CPU. Not overclocked.
    >
    > His computer freezes up while using the computer using a Nanya 512MB
    > PC133 memory stick. When he uses a single 256MB PC133 (Azen I think) the
    > computer never freezes or locks. Oh yea by the way when we tried two
    > 256MB PC133 memory sticks of different brands the computer locks up. So
    > that this when we tried a single 512MB stick. Is there a utility or
    > program that I could run that might be able to test if this 512MB PC133
    > stick is defective or maybe if its overheating ?
    >
    > Many thank in advance

    Jiggy

    Memtest86 will give a fairly severe workout.

    http://www.memtest86.com/

    eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly

    "Jiggy" <_NO_newsgroup_SPAM_surfer@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello readers.
    >
    > My brother-in-law has a ECS K7VZA motherboard running Windows 2000 Pro
    > on a AMD Athlon 900MHz CPU. Not overclocked.
    >
    > His computer freezes up while using the computer using a Nanya 512MB
    > PC133 memory stick. When he uses a single 256MB PC133 (Azen I think) the
    > computer never freezes or locks. Oh yea by the way when we tried two
    > 256MB PC133 memory sticks of different brands the computer locks up. So
    > that this when we tried a single 512MB stick. Is there a utility or
    > program that I could run that might be able to test if this 512MB PC133
    > stick is defective or maybe if its overheating ?
    >
    > Many thank in advance

    do you know that the second dimm socket is ok? .... try the known working
    256Mb stick in the other socket. also check that the board supports the
    512Mb stick, some only like single or double sided, bios update might sort
    that out though.

    In article <MPG.1b8cbf345f2c06a9896a5
    @nntp.slnt.phub.net.cable.rogers.com>,
    _NO_newsgroup_SPAM_surfer@coldmail.com says...
    > Hello readers.
    >
    > My brother-in-law has a ECS K7VZA motherboard running Windows 2000 Pro
    > on a AMD Athlon 900MHz CPU. Not overclocked.
    >
    > His computer freezes up while using the computer using a Nanya 512MB
    > PC133 memory stick. When he uses a single 256MB PC133 (Azen I think) the
    > computer never freezes or locks. Oh yea by the way when we tried two
    > 256MB PC133 memory sticks of different brands the computer locks up. So
    > that this when we tried a single 512MB stick. Is there a utility or
    > program that I could run that might be able to test if this 512MB PC133
    > stick is defective or maybe if its overheating ?
    >
    > Many thank in advance

    Thanks guys for the suggesetions I'll give them both a try. Cheers.

AMD Computer Memory Overclocking