Incorrect hardware description

August 13, 2005 5:30:03 PM

In the computer browser or Windows Explorer the description for my floppy
drive is "5¼ Floppy". All I've ever had in it is a 3.5. I know I can rename
it, but why is it automatically labelling it as "5¼ Floppy"? I've uninstalled
it and let Windows re-detect it, but still the same thing. No Idea how long
it has been this way - just noticed it today.

The hardware listing shows it only as a floppy drive.
August 13, 2005 5:55:16 PM

Which type of floppy is it in the BIOS?

"teligence" <teligence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the computer browser or Windows Explorer the description for my floppy
> drive is "5¼ Floppy". All I've ever had in it is a 3.5. I know I can
> rename
> it, but why is it automatically labelling it as "5¼ Floppy"? I've
> uninstalled
> it and let Windows re-detect it, but still the same thing. No Idea how
> long
> it has been this way - just noticed it today.
>
> The hardware listing shows it only as a floppy drive.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 2:25:02 AM

3.5", 1.44MB Floppy Drive.

"Jerry" wrote:

> Which type of floppy is it in the BIOS?
>
> "teligence" <teligence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In the computer browser or Windows Explorer the description for my floppy
> > drive is "5¼ Floppy". All I've ever had in it is a 3.5. I know I can
> > rename
> > it, but why is it automatically labelling it as "5¼ Floppy"? I've
> > uninstalled
> > it and let Windows re-detect it, but still the same thing. No Idea how
> > long
> > it has been this way - just noticed it today.
> >
> > The hardware listing shows it only as a floppy drive.

August 15, 2005 3:03:39 PM

Have you just checked or are you "remembering" from the last time? I
encountered this problem and I needed to "clear" the BIOS in order to
correct reset it.

> 3.5", 1.44MB Floppy Drive.
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> Which type of floppy is it in the BIOS?
>>
>> "teligence" <teligence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In the computer browser or Windows Explorer the description for my
>> > floppy
>> > drive is "5¼ Floppy". All I've ever had in it is a 3.5. I know I can
>> > rename
>> > it, but why is it automatically labelling it as "5¼ Floppy"? I've
>> > uninstalled
>> > it and let Windows re-detect it, but still the same thing. No Idea how
>> > long
>> > it has been this way - just noticed it today.
>> >
>> > The hardware listing shows it only as a floppy drive.

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 3:03:40 PM

I verified it. I also switched to another BIOS-listed Floppy Disk Option
(after unistalling it from Windows). After startup Windows' autodetect
automatically reinstalled and I have the same thing listed.

!