Incorrect hardware description

In the computer browser or Windows Explorer the description for my floppy
drive is "5¼ Floppy". All I've ever had in it is a 3.5. I know I can rename
it, but why is it automatically labelling it as "5¼ Floppy"? I've uninstalled
it and let Windows re-detect it, but still the same thing. No Idea how long
it has been this way - just noticed it today.

The hardware listing shows it only as a floppy drive.
4 answers Last reply
More about incorrect hardware description

    Which type of floppy is it in the BIOS?

    "teligence" <teligence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In the computer browser or Windows Explorer the description for my floppy
    > drive is "5¼ Floppy". All I've ever had in it is a 3.5. I know I can
    > rename
    > it, but why is it automatically labelling it as "5¼ Floppy"? I've
    > uninstalled
    > it and let Windows re-detect it, but still the same thing. No Idea how
    > long
    > it has been this way - just noticed it today.
    >
    > The hardware listing shows it only as a floppy drive.

    3.5", 1.44MB Floppy Drive.

    "Jerry" wrote:

    > Which type of floppy is it in the BIOS?
    >
    > "teligence" <teligence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In the computer browser or Windows Explorer the description for my floppy
    > > drive is "5¼ Floppy". All I've ever had in it is a 3.5. I know I can
    > > rename
    > > it, but why is it automatically labelling it as "5¼ Floppy"? I've
    > > uninstalled
    > > it and let Windows re-detect it, but still the same thing. No Idea how
    > > long
    > > it has been this way - just noticed it today.
    > >
    > > The hardware listing shows it only as a floppy drive.

    Have you just checked or are you "remembering" from the last time? I
    encountered this problem and I needed to "clear" the BIOS in order to
    correct reset it.

    > 3.5", 1.44MB Floppy Drive.
    >
    > "Jerry" wrote:
    >
    >> Which type of floppy is it in the BIOS?
    >>
    >> "teligence" <teligence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > In the computer browser or Windows Explorer the description for my
    >> > floppy
    >> > drive is "5¼ Floppy". All I've ever had in it is a 3.5. I know I can
    >> > rename
    >> > it, but why is it automatically labelling it as "5¼ Floppy"? I've
    >> > uninstalled
    >> > it and let Windows re-detect it, but still the same thing. No Idea how
    >> > long
    >> > it has been this way - just noticed it today.
    >> >
    >> > The hardware listing shows it only as a floppy drive.

    I verified it. I also switched to another BIOS-listed Floppy Disk Option
    (after unistalling it from Windows). After startup Windows' autodetect
    automatically reinstalled and I have the same thing listed.

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:

    > Have you just checked or are you "remembering" from the last time? I
    > encountered this problem and I needed to "clear" the BIOS in order to
    > correct reset it.
    >

    > "teligence" <teligence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > 3.5", 1.44MB Floppy Drive.
    > >
    > > "Jerry" wrote: