Any alternative MAME snapshot packages?

I just downloaded the latest ".95 extras" package on Petrified's
tracker, and discovered (too late) that the "regular" screen snapshots
in the torrent have been replaced with the fugly MAME32 ones (you know:
tiny snaps with the white border, blech...)

I hopped over to Crashtest's site, but he's apparently stopped doing the
screenshot packs. Sigh...

Is there anyone else out there with non-modified MAME screenshot packs
available?

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Kevin Steele wrote in alt.games.mame:
> I just downloaded the latest ".95 extras" package on Petrified's
> tracker, and discovered (too late) that the "regular" screen snapshots
> in the torrent have been replaced with the fugly MAME32 ones (you know:
> tiny snaps with the white border, blech...)

> I hopped over to Crashtest's site, but he's apparently stopped doing the
> screenshot packs. Sigh...

> Is there anyone else out there with non-modified MAME screenshot packs
> available?

There is always:

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/msx2/guest/drromcbr.zip

But when you say non-modifed I fear you already considered this option.

--
David
"jackpot: you may have an unneccessary change record"

SINNER thought about it a bit, then said...
> * Kevin Steele wrote in alt.games.mame:
> > I just downloaded the latest ".95 extras" package on Petrified's
> > tracker, and discovered (too late) that the "regular" screen snapshots
> > in the torrent have been replaced with the fugly MAME32 ones (you know:
> > tiny snaps with the white border, blech...)
>
> > I hopped over to Crashtest's site, but he's apparently stopped doing the
> > screenshot packs. Sigh...
>
> > Is there anyone else out there with non-modified MAME screenshot packs
> > available?
>
> There is always:
>
> http://clientes.netvisao.pt/msx2/guest/drromcbr.zip
>
> But when you say non-modifed I fear you already considered this option.

Yeah, I know about the border remover, but the problem is a lot of the
snaps are already "downsized" in the MAME32 collection, and they look
lousy in MAMEWAH. Crashtest's snaps were great - just the actual screen
snaps from MAME, no reformatting or changes.

I think I've still got a set of old snaps (.89 or so) on DVD, so I guess
I can use that as a starting point and then "roll my own" for the
updates - there haven't been that many new games since .89, right? ;-)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com

Hi Kevin,

>> > in the torrent have been replaced with the fugly MAME32 ones (you know:
>> > tiny snaps with the white border, blech...)

Are you sure the mame32 ones are still using the white border? I've been
using them and I think they did away with the white border...

Thanks,

SA Dev

On Thu, 05 May 2005 23:19:51 GMT, SINNER
<99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

>* Kevin Steele wrote in alt.games.mame:
>> I just downloaded the latest ".95 extras" package on Petrified's
>> tracker, and discovered (too late) that the "regular" screen snapshots
>> in the torrent have been replaced with the fugly MAME32 ones (you know:
>> tiny snaps with the white border, blech...)
>
>> I hopped over to Crashtest's site, but he's apparently stopped doing the
>> screenshot packs. Sigh...
>
>> Is there anyone else out there with non-modified MAME screenshot packs
>> available?
>
>There is always:
>
>http://clientes.netvisao.pt/msx2/guest/drromcbr.zip
>
>But when you say non-modifed I fear you already considered this option.

ooooohhhhhh

cheesy border remover...
there must be a program for everything.

You have a program to convince my boss I need a raise :)
-> maybe it's cheesy paycheck remover

Thanks you Sinner

"Kevin Steele" <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in message
> I just downloaded the latest ".95 extras" package on Petrified's
> tracker, and discovered (too late) that the "regular" screen snapshots
> in the torrent have been replaced with the fugly MAME32 ones (you know:
> tiny snaps with the white border, blech...)
>
> I hopped over to Crashtest's site, but he's apparently stopped doing the
> screenshot packs. Sigh...
>
> Is there anyone else out there with non-modified MAME screenshot packs
> available?
>
> --
> Kevin Steele
> RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
> www.retroblast.com

Go over to maximusarcade.com and download White Space Trimmer. It was built
for this purpose.

Whilst you are at maximusarcade.com, download maximus arcade itself. It is a
front end for emulators and in my opinion it is the best one out there. Has
all features you could ask for and handles Visual Pinball and has one button
for exit no matter which emulator you are in. If costs around $20 but well
worth the money.

Please note I have nothing to do with Maximus Arcade, just love the program
and sreading the word.

On Thu, 5 May 2005 22:54:11 -0500, "SA Dev" <nospam38925@forme.com>
wrote:

>Hi Kevin,

>Are you sure the mame32 ones are still using the white border? I've been
>using them and I think they did away with the white border...

Correct
The snaps no longer have a white border

PRoToCoL thought about it a bit, then said...
> On Thu, 5 May 2005 22:54:11 -0500, "SA Dev" <nospam38925@forme.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi Kevin,

> >Are you sure the mame32 ones are still using the white border? I've been
> >using them and I think they did away with the white border...
>
> Correct
> The snaps no longer have a white border

Sounds good - I'll go check. Hopefully they're still not "downsized" as
well. Thanks!

I wonder why all the white-bordered ones showed up in the Petrified
"Extras" tracker. Sigh...I wasn't expecting to overwrite all my good
snaps!

--

* Wrote in alt.games.mame:

>>There is always:
>>
>>http://clientes.netvisao.pt/msx2/guest/drromcbr.zip
>>
>>But when you say non-modifed I fear you already considered this
>>option.
>

> ooooohhhhhh
>
> cheesy border remover...
> there must be a program for everything.
>
> You have a program to convince my boss I need a raise :)
> -> maybe it's cheesy paycheck remover
>
> Thanks you Sinner

NP :)

--
David

shakie007 played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather and
concrete saxophone

> On Thu, 05 May 2005 23:19:51 GMT, SINNER
> <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
>
>>* Kevin Steele wrote in alt.games.mame:
>>> I just downloaded the latest ".95 extras" package on Petrified's
>>> tracker, and discovered (too late) that the "regular" screen snapshots
>>> in the torrent have been replaced with the fugly MAME32 ones (you know:
>>> tiny snaps with the white border, blech...)
>>
>>> I hopped over to Crashtest's site, but he's apparently stopped doing the
>>> screenshot packs. Sigh...
>>
>>> Is there anyone else out there with non-modified MAME screenshot packs
>>> available?
>>
>>There is always:
>>
>>http://clientes.netvisao.pt/msx2/guest/drromcbr.zip
>>
>>But when you say non-modifed I fear you already considered this option.
>

> ooooohhhhhh
>
> cheesy border remover...
> there must be a program for everything.

Not true. There isn't one to make Zinc work without using the cursor keys
- believe me, I've looked
/me is grumpy

--
Neil

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Dire Radiant wrote in alt.games.mame:
> shakie007 played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather and
> concrete saxophone

>> ooooohhhhhh

>> cheesy border remover...
>> there must be a program for everything.

> Not true. There isn't one to make Zinc work without using the cursor keys
> - believe me, I've looked
> /me is grumpy

There has to be a program that can make any key look like any cursor key.

If there isn't and Cerian is reading, he will probably whip one right up
;P~

--
David
If you try to please everyone, somebody is not going to like it.

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

[...]

http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

--
David
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

SINNER played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather and
concrete saxophone

> * Dire Radiant wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
> [...]
>
>>> there must be a program for everything.
>
>> Not true. There isn't one to make Zinc work without using the cursor keys
>> - believe me, I've looked
>> /me is grumpy
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

I love you David, and I want to have your babies.

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Dire Radiant wrote in alt.games.mame:
> SINNER played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather and
> concrete saxophone

>> * Dire Radiant wrote in alt.games.mame:

>> [...]

>>> Not true. There isn't one to make Zinc work without using the cursor keys
>>> - believe me, I've looked
>>> /me is grumpy

>> http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

> I love you David, and I want to have your babies.

LOL!

--
David
OVER the underpass! UNDER the overpass! Around the FUTURE and BEYOND REPAIR!!

SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> gyrated his joystick in a
pattern that spelled out:

<snip>
>> Not true. There isn't one to make Zinc work without using the cursor
>> keys - believe me, I've looked
>> /me is grumpy
>
> There has to be a program that can make any key look like any cursor
> key.
>
> If there isn't and Cerian is reading, he will probably whip one right
> up ;P~

LOL! I have a severe motivation problem lately. First time I've cranked up
Xnews/AGM in about a month. Been over pounding keys at xtremevbtalk.com
helping out while trying to get my .NET skills up-to-date. Just got turned
down for an awesome job because of lack of .NET.

--
INC BX
INC BP

Chromium

Distinguished
May 9, 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005 05:21:34 +0000 (UTC), "Hitesh"
<NoFookingReplyAddress@NoFookingReplyAddress.Com> wrote:

>"Kevin Steele" <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in message
>> I just downloaded the latest ".95 extras" package on Petrified's
>> tracker, and discovered (too late) that the "regular" screen snapshots
>> in the torrent have been replaced with the fugly MAME32 ones (you know:
>> tiny snaps with the white border, blech...)
>>
>> I hopped over to Crashtest's site, but he's apparently stopped doing the
>> screenshot packs. Sigh...
>>
>> Is there anyone else out there with non-modified MAME screenshot packs
>> available?
>>
>> --
>> Kevin Steele
>> RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
>> www.retroblast.com
>
>Go over to maximusarcade.com and download White Space Trimmer. It was built
>for this purpose.
>
>Whilst you are at maximusarcade.com, download maximus arcade itself. It is a
>front end for emulators and in my opinion it is the best one out there. Has
>all features you could ask for and handles Visual Pinball and has one button
>for exit no matter which emulator you are in. If costs around $20 but well
>worth the money.
>
>Please note I have nothing to do with Maximus Arcade, just love the program
>and sreading the word.

Crashtest's Shot Packs are here...
http://www.emu-france.com/?page=fichiers&idMachine=258

I use AdvanceMENU for my frontend and it has an option to delete a
snap. Since nobody is updating the snaps it's easy to update and make
your own with this feature. From my understanding, Crashtest used
AdvanceMAME, AdvanceMENU, and AdvanceCOMP to make his shots and
videos.
Where his videos are... I dunno.

On Fri, 6 May 2005 07:34:10 -0400, Kevin Steele
<net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote the following in alt.games.mame:

>I wonder why all the white-bordered ones showed up in the Petrified
>"Extras" tracker. Sigh...I wasn't expecting to overwrite all my good
>snaps!

We don't use CrashTest's stuff because, well he's stopped updating it
and it was originally a method of doing a full Extras Pack for only
those listed on the CMP HomePage under Misc Mame.

We did recently add MAMu's icons due to them being requested and the
advent of TorrentZip making it possible to rezip this file and keep
the internal directory structure.

I'm sorry you overwrote your CrashTest stuff Kevin but we do provide
ClrMamePro dats for everything we put on the tracker in the Forum and
the thread is linked to within the Torrent Information.

Our primary goal has always been to create torrents that people can
join with a partial set and start at greater than 0% and I think we
have now achieved this worthy goal. To see people join a brand new
torrent at over 90% is proof enough that our efforts have not been in
vain.

If there is demand for it we could create a torrent for CrashTest's
art packs although I have never really bothered with these myself, to
be quite honest I only really use Command Line MAME these days and
have no real interest in Snapshots personally. Perhaps it is the
reason I am severely losing interest in maintaining the Title Packs.

Petr1fied

PS: This is the first time I've even checked this group for months so
hello to all. :eek:)

alt.binaries.emulators.mame FAQ
http://abem.mametitles.com

Petr1fied thought about it a bit, then said...
> On Fri, 6 May 2005 07:34:10 -0400, Kevin Steele
> <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote the following in alt.games.mame:
>
> >I wonder why all the white-bordered ones showed up in the Petrified
> >"Extras" tracker. Sigh...I wasn't expecting to overwrite all my good
> >snaps!
>
> We don't use CrashTest's stuff because, well he's stopped updating it
> and it was originally a method of doing a full Extras Pack for only
> those listed on the CMP HomePage under Misc Mame.

I can understand the switchover (especially since CrashTest has stopped)
- it just caught me off guard since all the previous packages had the
CrashTest snaps.

> We did recently add MAMu's icons due to them being requested and the
> advent of TorrentZip making it possible to rezip this file and keep
> the internal directory structure.
>
> I'm sorry you overwrote your CrashTest stuff Kevin but we do provide
> ClrMamePro dats for everything we put on the tracker in the Forum and
> the thread is linked to within the Torrent Information.

It's okay. Really. I've got my old snaps back (I discovered the
overwrite before I copied the new extras to my MAMEframe, just had to
copy them back from the cab to my desktop PC)

> Our primary goal has always been to create torrents that people can
> join with a partial set and start at greater than 0% and I think we
> have now achieved this worthy goal. To see people join a brand new
> torrent at over 90% is proof enough that our efforts have not been in
> vain.

I love what you guys have done - trust me, there's nothing better than
simply selecting a ROMs torrent and have just the new/changed ROMs
downloaded! I doubt I'll ever need a DVD set again.

> If there is demand for it we could create a torrent for CrashTest's
> art packs although I have never really bothered with these myself, to
> be quite honest I only really use Command Line MAME these days and
> have no real interest in Snapshots personally. Perhaps it is the
> reason I am severely losing interest in maintaining the Title Packs.

I'd certainly go for a full set, or even just updates if someone's
willing to take up where CrashTest left off.

For those of us that use a front end like MAMEWAH, which can use all of
the extra graphics, it's great to have an easy way to keep up to date.
It's just a shame that the only screen snaps still being updated are the
downsized/bordered ones.

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com

thought about it a bit, then said...
> Crashtest's Shot Packs are here...
> http://www.emu-france.com/?page=fichiers&idMachine=258
>
> I use AdvanceMENU for my frontend and it has an option to delete a
> snap. Since nobody is updating the snaps it's easy to update and make
> your own with this feature. From my understanding, Crashtest used
> AdvanceMAME, AdvanceMENU, and AdvanceCOMP to make his shots and
> videos.
> Where his videos are... I dunno.

Thanks for the link! That gives me a good starting point for "rolling my
own" updates.