usb2.0 pci and external harddisk

Just installed a usb 2.0 pci card on xp home sp2 system. Device manager shows
it as a standard enhanced pci to usb host controller. However when I plug my
usb2 external hardisk in, windows can't detect a suitable driver - as usb2.0
drivers are in sp2 why is this happening?

I think the drive is ok because it works in usb1.1 ports ok and uses a
standard usb mass media driver.

The PCI card also seems to work ok with other usb1.1 devices.

I also can't understand why the usb2.0 HD doesn't even work as a usb1.1 on
the usb 2.0 pci card.
10 answers Last reply
More about usb2 external harddisk

    I'm betting this is a new external hard drive that you got along with the
    USB 2.0 board - right?

    Partition and format the hard drive and you will be able to see it in device
    manager. If not, then you start trouble shooting.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    "bikeman" <bikeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just installed a usb 2.0 pci card on xp home sp2 system. Device manager
    > shows
    > it as a standard enhanced pci to usb host controller. However when I plug
    > my
    > usb2 external hardisk in, windows can't detect a suitable driver - as
    > usb2.0
    > drivers are in sp2 why is this happening?
    >
    > I think the drive is ok because it works in usb1.1 ports ok and uses a
    > standard usb mass media driver.
    >
    > The PCI card also seems to work ok with other usb1.1 devices.
    >
    > I also can't understand why the usb2.0 HD doesn't even work as a usb1.1 on
    > the usb 2.0 pci card.

    Take a look here
    http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

    "bikeman" <bikeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just installed a usb 2.0 pci card on xp home sp2 system. Device manager
    > shows
    > it as a standard enhanced pci to usb host controller. However when I plug
    > my
    > usb2 external hardisk in, windows can't detect a suitable driver - as
    > usb2.0
    > drivers are in sp2 why is this happening?
    >
    > I think the drive is ok because it works in usb1.1 ports ok and uses a
    > standard usb mass media driver.
    >
    > The PCI card also seems to work ok with other usb1.1 devices.
    >
    > I also can't understand why the usb2.0 HD doesn't even work as a usb1.1 on
    > the usb 2.0 pci card.

    HDs usually need external power - except some 2.5" or smaller
    that are specially designed for low power.
    --PA

    "bikeman" <bikeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:743CAF16-24FC-42F5-82FA-27A6462F6379@microsoft.com...
    > Just installed a usb 2.0 pci card on xp home sp2 system. Device manager shows
    > it as a standard enhanced pci to usb host controller. However when I plug my
    > usb2 external hardisk in, windows can't detect a suitable driver - as usb2.0
    > drivers are in sp2 why is this happening?
    >
    > I think the drive is ok because it works in usb1.1 ports ok and uses a
    > standard usb mass media driver.
    >
    > The PCI card also seems to work ok with other usb1.1 devices.
    >
    > I also can't understand why the usb2.0 HD doesn't even work as a usb1.1 on
    > the usb 2.0 pci card.

    The ext hard disk is my HD in a usb 2.0 enclosure. It is formatted and has a
    seperate power supply.
    The PCI card is from a separate supplier.

    I reiterate -

    Device manager shows the pci card as as a standard enhanced pci to usb host
    controller. However when I plug my usb2 external hardisk in, windows can't
    detect a suitable driver - as usb2.0 drivers are in sp2 why is this happening?

    Ok now it is much clearer. What exactly happens when you attach the disk:
    nothing, or you see "Found new device" dialog asking for driver?
    Do you see the drive in a. Device manager, b. Disk manager ?

    XP SP2 contains all required drivers, so normally USB disks should Just Work.

    --PA

    "bikeman" <bikeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2FBDA06-F8E1-44C2-8950-E7ACF79AD3A9@microsoft.com...
    > The ext hard disk is my HD in a usb 2.0 enclosure. It is formatted and has a
    > seperate power supply.
    > The PCI card is from a separate supplier.
    >
    > I reiterate -
    >
    > Device manager shows the pci card as as a standard enhanced pci to usb host
    > controller. However when I plug my usb2 external hardisk in, windows can't
    > detect a suitable driver - as usb2.0 drivers are in sp2 why is this happening?

    it says found new device and then searches for a driver which it cant find.
    It then appears in device manager as an 'unknown device'.

    It works fine in a usb 1.1 port but says it can work faster etc etc

    "bikeman" <bikeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E31F509-40AE-4B2C-8710-0B5CFB826A7D@microsoft.com...
    > it says found new device and then searches for a driver which it cant find.
    > It then appears in device manager as an 'unknown device'.
    >
    > It works fine in a usb 1.1 port but says it can work faster etc etc

    May be the card is defective. Also, by chance, does it have any jumpers,
    or internal poer connector ?
    -

    The card works with other usb devices. There are no jumpers etc.

    But are these other devices usb2, or usb 1?
    Maybe the defective part is in usb2.

    "bikeman" <bikeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D238A47-7893-42F5-9379-8A4485BC909C@microsoft.com...
    > The card works with other usb devices. There are no jumpers etc.

    bit unlikely I think.

PCI USB Hard Drives Windows XP