bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002

Just installed a usb 2.0 pci card on xp home sp2 system. Device manager shows
it as a standard enhanced pci to usb host controller. However when I plug my
usb2 external hardisk in, windows can't detect a suitable driver - as usb2.0
drivers are in sp2 why is this happening?

I think the drive is ok because it works in usb1.1 ports ok and uses a
standard usb mass media driver.

The PCI card also seems to work ok with other usb1.1 devices.

I also can't understand why the usb2.0 HD doesn't even work as a usb1.1 on
the usb 2.0 pci card.

I'm betting this is a new external hard drive that you got along with the
USB 2.0 board - right?

Partition and format the hard drive and you will be able to see it in device
manager. If not, then you start trouble shooting.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

"bikeman" <bikeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just installed a usb 2.0 pci card on xp home sp2 system. Device manager
> shows
> it as a standard enhanced pci to usb host controller. However when I plug
> my
> usb2 external hardisk in, windows can't detect a suitable driver - as
> usb2.0
> drivers are in sp2 why is this happening?
>
> I think the drive is ok because it works in usb1.1 ports ok and uses a
> standard usb mass media driver.
>
> The PCI card also seems to work ok with other usb1.1 devices.
>
> I also can't understand why the usb2.0 HD doesn't even work as a usb1.1 on
> the usb 2.0 pci card.

Take a look here
http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

"bikeman" <bikeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just installed a usb 2.0 pci card on xp home sp2 system. Device manager
> shows
> it as a standard enhanced pci to usb host controller. However when I plug
> my
> usb2 external hardisk in, windows can't detect a suitable driver - as
> usb2.0
> drivers are in sp2 why is this happening?
>
> I think the drive is ok because it works in usb1.1 ports ok and uses a
> standard usb mass media driver.
>
> The PCI card also seems to work ok with other usb1.1 devices.
>
> I also can't understand why the usb2.0 HD doesn't even work as a usb1.1 on
> the usb 2.0 pci card.

HDs usually need external power - except some 2.5" or smaller
that are specially designed for low power.
--PA

"bikeman" <bikeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:743CAF16-24FC-42F5-82FA-27A6462F6379@microsoft.com...
> Just installed a usb 2.0 pci card on xp home sp2 system. Device manager shows
> it as a standard enhanced pci to usb host controller. However when I plug my
> usb2 external hardisk in, windows can't detect a suitable driver - as usb2.0
> drivers are in sp2 why is this happening?
>
> I think the drive is ok because it works in usb1.1 ports ok and uses a
> standard usb mass media driver.
>
> The PCI card also seems to work ok with other usb1.1 devices.
>
> I also can't understand why the usb2.0 HD doesn't even work as a usb1.1 on
> the usb 2.0 pci card.

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002

The ext hard disk is my HD in a usb 2.0 enclosure. It is formatted and has a
seperate power supply.
The PCI card is from a separate supplier.

I reiterate -

Device manager shows the pci card as as a standard enhanced pci to usb host
controller. However when I plug my usb2 external hardisk in, windows can't
detect a suitable driver - as usb2.0 drivers are in sp2 why is this happening?

Ok now it is much clearer. What exactly happens when you attach the disk:
nothing, or you see "Found new device" dialog asking for driver?
Do you see the drive in a. Device manager, b. Disk manager ?

XP SP2 contains all required drivers, so normally USB disks should Just Work.

--PA

"bikeman" <bikeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2FBDA06-F8E1-44C2-8950-E7ACF79AD3A9@microsoft.com...
> The ext hard disk is my HD in a usb 2.0 enclosure. It is formatted and has a
> seperate power supply.
> The PCI card is from a separate supplier.
>
> I reiterate -
>
> Device manager shows the pci card as as a standard enhanced pci to usb host
> controller. However when I plug my usb2 external hardisk in, windows can't
> detect a suitable driver - as usb2.0 drivers are in sp2 why is this happening?

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002

it says found new device and then searches for a driver which it cant find.
It then appears in device manager as an 'unknown device'.

It works fine in a usb 1.1 port but says it can work faster etc etc

"bikeman" <bikeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E31F509-40AE-4B2C-8710-0B5CFB826A7D@microsoft.com...
> it says found new device and then searches for a driver which it cant find.
> It then appears in device manager as an 'unknown device'.
>
> It works fine in a usb 1.1 port but says it can work faster etc etc

May be the card is defective. Also, by chance, does it have any jumpers,
or internal poer connector ?
-

But are these other devices usb2, or usb 1?
Maybe the defective part is in usb2.