Athlon cooling.

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
August 21, 2004 12:05:38 PM

Hi, I`ve got an AMD Athlon K7700 slot A processer that I want to run a
lot cooler than it does. It`s out of it`s case and I`m thinking of
ways to cool the three chips on the card but I`m having a problem with
the centre one because there is a green metal thing sunk into the
centre of the middle chip which sticks out about 1mm above the surface
of the chip, therefore stopping any baseplate from a heatsink from
sitting flat on the area. I`m looking for a decent contact with as
little thermel compound as I can get away with. What is this bit in
the middle of the chip??, is it part of the chip?.
Thanks
Jon

More about : athlon cooling

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 21, 2004 9:05:43 PM

"jondavey" <jondavey@eurobell.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, I`ve got an AMD Athlon K7700 slot A processer that I want to run a
> lot cooler than it does. It`s out of it`s case and I`m thinking of
> ways to cool the three chips on the card but I`m having a problem with
> the centre one because there is a green metal thing sunk into the
> centre of the middle chip which sticks out about 1mm above the surface
> of the chip, therefore stopping any baseplate from a heatsink from
> sitting flat on the area. I`m looking for a decent contact with as
> little thermel compound as I can get away with. What is this bit in
> the middle of the chip??, is it part of the chip?.
> Thanks
> Jon

From what i know of slot A / 1 processors, that *is* the processor. The
other chips on the card are the extra L2 cache chips.

hamman
!