Athlon cooling.

Hi, I`ve got an AMD Athlon K7700 slot A processer that I want to run a
lot cooler than it does. It`s out of it`s case and I`m thinking of
ways to cool the three chips on the card but I`m having a problem with
the centre one because there is a green metal thing sunk into the
centre of the middle chip which sticks out about 1mm above the surface
of the chip, therefore stopping any baseplate from a heatsink from
sitting flat on the area. I`m looking for a decent contact with as
little thermel compound as I can get away with. What is this bit in
the middle of the chip??, is it part of the chip?.
Thanks
Jon
1 answer Last reply
More about athlon cooling

    "jondavey" <jondavey@eurobell.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi, I`ve got an AMD Athlon K7700 slot A processer that I want to run a
    > lot cooler than it does. It`s out of it`s case and I`m thinking of
    > ways to cool the three chips on the card but I`m having a problem with
    > the centre one because there is a green metal thing sunk into the
    > centre of the middle chip which sticks out about 1mm above the surface
    > of the chip, therefore stopping any baseplate from a heatsink from
    > sitting flat on the area. I`m looking for a decent contact with as
    > little thermel compound as I can get away with. What is this bit in
    > the middle of the chip??, is it part of the chip?.
    > Thanks
    > Jon

    From what i know of slot A / 1 processors, that *is* the processor. The
    other chips on the card are the extra L2 cache chips.

    hamman

AMD Chip Cooling Overclocking