SONY DVD RW DW D-56A reading only CDs

Tags:
  • DVD RW
  • Windows XP
August 14, 2005 12:51:27 AM

Hi,
I've a K Series PCG-K47 VAIO laptop, with a DVD RW DW-D56A that I
purchased during March 2005. All of a sudden, I'm not able to read any
DVDs using this drive. It is only able to read CDs successfully but no
DVDs. I've tried cleaning the drive, using the maxell lens cleaner DVD,
I've upgraded the firmware from sony's website to PFS3, but to no
avail. The problem is that I don't even get any error message. It keeps
on trying to read the DVD disc inserted, and everything else comes to a
halt, till i remove the disc from the DVD drive.
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vishy

More about : sony dvd 56a reading cds

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 3:21:14 AM

Hi Deb,
Thanks for the reply...but no, I did not change the zone...I
did not see any errors while updating the firmware. The worst part is I
don't see any error message anywhere. The DVDs do work on others drives
(my friends computers for example)... But here is one line i'm
continuously seeing in the EventViewer

=============================
The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.
=============================

Regards,
Vishy
August 14, 2005 11:18:43 AM

vishworks@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Deb,
> Thanks for the reply...but no, I did not change the
> zone...I
> did not see any errors while updating the firmware. The worst part is
> I don't see any error message anywhere. The DVDs do work on others
> drives (my friends computers for example)... But here is one line i'm
> continuously seeing in the EventViewer
>

> =============================
> The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.
> =============================

It sounds very much like the drive has failed. Combo drives use two
different lasers for cd's and dvd's. It sounds like the one used for
reading the dvd's has failed. Since it is fairly new, the drive is
probably still under warranty. Contact the mftr. for replacement.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Have you changed the zone?
Is the problem the result of a previous attempt to update the firmware,
prior to the PFS3?
Have you got an error message? If so, please relay it word for word.
If you can think of anything at all that transpired prior to the problem,
and might even remotely be connected, then it's worth mentioning.

Try the DVD in another drive (neighbours place or something) to confirm that
it works ok. Try a number of different DVD's as it might just be that you
have one that's faulty.

Try re installing your DVD software for reading the disks (PowerDVD or the
like). If it still fails contact the shop where you bought it and ask if
they have any suggestions or others with hte same experience.
Also try sending a support request to the manufacturer.

DebB

!