Newbie help - building my own MAME

Sorry for the newbie post, but I've searched the web and googled this
forum and still haven't found the best way to build a MAME cabinet. I'm
hoping someone has enough patience to help me out. I want to build a
MAME system to put next to compliment the pins in my gameroom (I'm
normally a RGP guy). From what I can gather, I need the following:

1. Cabinet - Should I buy a kit? Seems like alot of money for some
plywood ($500+). Can I get detailed plans and build it myself?

2. Controls - While I can do some soldering and boardwork, I'd rather
buy the game controls. What do you recommend?

3. PC - What do I need? Pentium 3? Celeron? Graphics cards?

4. Monitor - Should I just slap a 27" TV in the cabinet? Seems like
the cheapest route, and I'm not looking for top of the line here. If I
go the TV route, what sort of computer to TV adapter do I need?

5. Misc - what else do I need?

6. Software - Not too worried about this now, I can install this
later.

Anticipated budget? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
4 answers Last reply
More about newbie building mame

    Loads of good info here. http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

    My baby -> www.game-art.org/jrod/J-Rcade.html

    azcats_fan@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Sorry for the newbie post, but I've searched the web and googled this
    > forum and still haven't found the best way to build a MAME cabinet. I'm
    > hoping someone has enough patience to help me out. I want to build a
    > MAME system to put next to compliment the pins in my gameroom (I'm
    > normally a RGP guy). From what I can gather, I need the following:
    >

    > 1. Cabinet - Should I buy a kit? Seems like alot of money for some
    > plywood ($500+). Can I get detailed plans and build it myself?
    >
    > 2. Controls - While I can do some soldering and boardwork, I'd rather
    > buy the game controls. What do you recommend?
    >
    > 3. PC - What do I need? Pentium 3? Celeron? Graphics cards?
    >
    > 4. Monitor - Should I just slap a 27" TV in the cabinet? Seems like
    > the cheapest route, and I'm not looking for top of the line here. If I
    > go the TV route, what sort of computer to TV adapter do I need?
    >
    > 5. Misc - what else do I need?
    >
    > 6. Software - Not too worried about this now, I can install this
    > later.
    >
    > Anticipated budget? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Why build why you can buy Jamma Cabinet with an Arcade Monitor with built in
    controls for less?

    J-Rod wrote:
    > Loads of good info here. http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm
    >
    > My baby -> www.game-art.org/jrod/J-Rcade.html
    >
    > azcats_fan@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry for the newbie post, but I've searched the web and googled this
    >> forum and still haven't found the best way to build a MAME cabinet. I'm
    >> hoping someone has enough patience to help me out. I want to build a
    >> MAME system to put next to compliment the pins in my gameroom (I'm
    >> normally a RGP guy). From what I can gather, I need the following:
    >>

    >> 1. Cabinet - Should I buy a kit? Seems like alot of money for some
    >> plywood ($500+). Can I get detailed plans and build it myself?
    >>
    >> 2. Controls - While I can do some soldering and boardwork, I'd rather
    >> buy the game controls. What do you recommend?
    >>
    >> 3. PC - What do I need? Pentium 3? Celeron? Graphics cards?
    >>
    >> 4. Monitor - Should I just slap a 27" TV in the cabinet? Seems like
    >> the cheapest route, and I'm not looking for top of the line here. If I
    >> go the TV route, what sort of computer to TV adapter do I need?
    >>
    >> 5. Misc - what else do I need?
    >>
    >> 6. Software - Not too worried about this now, I can install this
    >> later.
    >>
    >> Anticipated budget? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Bob

    *D-D-D-DAMN!*, but that's a gorgeous piece of hardware! Do I see a
    wireless kbd/mouse receiver in there?

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    Yes indeed DD, there's a wireless keyboard and mouse for it, as well as
    a wireless adapter for internet. I also hacked a mouse to a Happs
    trackball my buddy took out of a Golden Tee. Pics of that hack here.
    http://www.game-art.org/jrod/mousehack.JPG Actually I have since
    improved it, I got the pcb to fit inside of the trackball itself, so all
    there is is wires to hook up. Right now it has MAME/NES/SNES/GBA/N64/PSX
    on it, I find that usually I lay in bed using a gamepad and play old
    nes/snes on it. Thanks for the compliment, I love the curly maple. Just
    wanted to make something a bit more classy, y'know? -JC

    Dead_Dad wrote:
    > J-Rod wrote:
    >
    >> Loads of good info here. http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm
    >>
    >> My baby -> www.game-art.org/jrod/J-Rcade.html
    >>
    >> azcats_fan@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sorry for the newbie post, but I've searched the web and googled this
    >>> forum and still haven't found the best way to build a MAME cabinet. I'm
    >>> hoping someone has enough patience to help me out. I want to build a
    >>> MAME system to put next to compliment the pins in my gameroom (I'm
    >>> normally a RGP guy). From what I can gather, I need the following:
    >>>

    >>> 1. Cabinet - Should I buy a kit? Seems like alot of money for some
    >>> plywood ($500+). Can I get detailed plans and build it myself?
    >>>
    >>> 2. Controls - While I can do some soldering and boardwork, I'd rather
    >>> buy the game controls. What do you recommend?
    >>>
    >>> 3. PC - What do I need? Pentium 3? Celeron? Graphics cards?
    >>>
    >>> 4. Monitor - Should I just slap a 27" TV in the cabinet? Seems like
    >>> the cheapest route, and I'm not looking for top of the line here. If I
    >>> go the TV route, what sort of computer to TV adapter do I need?
    >>>
    >>> 5. Misc - what else do I need?
    >>>
    >>> 6. Software - Not too worried about this now, I can install this
    >>> later.
    >>>
    >>> Anticipated budget? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Bob
    >>>

    > *D-D-D-DAMN!*, but that's a gorgeous piece of hardware! Do I see a
    > wireless kbd/mouse receiver in there?

Build Video Games