Newbie help - building my own MAME

Last response: in Video Games
May 5, 2005 10:18:43 PM

Sorry for the newbie post, but I've searched the web and googled this
forum and still haven't found the best way to build a MAME cabinet. I'm
hoping someone has enough patience to help me out. I want to build a
MAME system to put next to compliment the pins in my gameroom (I'm
normally a RGP guy). From what I can gather, I need the following:

1. Cabinet - Should I buy a kit? Seems like alot of money for some
plywood ($500+). Can I get detailed plans and build it myself?

2. Controls - While I can do some soldering and boardwork, I'd rather
buy the game controls. What do you recommend?

3. PC - What do I need? Pentium 3? Celeron? Graphics cards?

4. Monitor - Should I just slap a 27" TV in the cabinet? Seems like
the cheapest route, and I'm not looking for top of the line here. If I
go the TV route, what sort of computer to TV adapter do I need?

5. Misc - what else do I need?

6. Software - Not too worried about this now, I can install this
later.

Anticipated budget? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

More about : newbie building mame

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 5:33:14 AM

Loads of good info here. http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

My baby -> www.game-art.org/jrod/J-Rcade.html

azcats_fan@yahoo.com wrote:
> Sorry for the newbie post, but I've searched the web and googled this
> forum and still haven't found the best way to build a MAME cabinet. I'm
> hoping someone has enough patience to help me out. I want to build a
> MAME system to put next to compliment the pins in my gameroom (I'm
> normally a RGP guy). From what I can gather, I need the following:
>

> 1. Cabinet - Should I buy a kit? Seems like alot of money for some
> plywood ($500+). Can I get detailed plans and build it myself?
>
> 2. Controls - While I can do some soldering and boardwork, I'd rather
> buy the game controls. What do you recommend?
>
> 3. PC - What do I need? Pentium 3? Celeron? Graphics cards?
>
> 4. Monitor - Should I just slap a 27" TV in the cabinet? Seems like
> the cheapest route, and I'm not looking for top of the line here. If I
> go the TV route, what sort of computer to TV adapter do I need?
>
> 5. Misc - what else do I need?
>
> 6. Software - Not too worried about this now, I can install this
> later.
>
> Anticipated budget? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:14:13 AM

Why build why you can buy Jamma Cabinet with an Arcade Monitor with built in
controls for less?

<azcats_fan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sorry for the newbie post, but I've searched the web and googled this
> forum and still haven't found the best way to build a MAME cabinet. I'm
> hoping someone has enough patience to help me out. I want to build a
> MAME system to put next to compliment the pins in my gameroom (I'm
> normally a RGP guy). From what I can gather, I need the following:
>

> 1. Cabinet - Should I buy a kit? Seems like alot of money for some
> plywood ($500+). Can I get detailed plans and build it myself?
>
> 2. Controls - While I can do some soldering and boardwork, I'd rather
> buy the game controls. What do you recommend?
>
> 3. PC - What do I need? Pentium 3? Celeron? Graphics cards?
>
> 4. Monitor - Should I just slap a 27" TV in the cabinet? Seems like
> the cheapest route, and I'm not looking for top of the line here. If I
> go the TV route, what sort of computer to TV adapter do I need?
>
> 5. Misc - what else do I need?
>
> 6. Software - Not too worried about this now, I can install this
> later.
>
> Anticipated budget? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

May 6, 2005 10:50:45 AM

J-Rod wrote:
> Loads of good info here. http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm
>
> My baby -> www.game-art.org/jrod/J-Rcade.html
>
> azcats_fan@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the newbie post, but I've searched the web and googled this
>> forum and still haven't found the best way to build a MAME cabinet. I'm
>> hoping someone has enough patience to help me out. I want to build a
>> MAME system to put next to compliment the pins in my gameroom (I'm
>> normally a RGP guy). From what I can gather, I need the following:
>>

>> 1. Cabinet - Should I buy a kit? Seems like alot of money for some
>> plywood ($500+). Can I get detailed plans and build it myself?
>>
>> 2. Controls - While I can do some soldering and boardwork, I'd rather
>> buy the game controls. What do you recommend?
>>
>> 3. PC - What do I need? Pentium 3? Celeron? Graphics cards?
>>
>> 4. Monitor - Should I just slap a 27" TV in the cabinet? Seems like
>> the cheapest route, and I'm not looking for top of the line here. If I
>> go the TV route, what sort of computer to TV adapter do I need?
>>
>> 5. Misc - what else do I need?
>>
>> 6. Software - Not too worried about this now, I can install this
>> later.
>>
>> Anticipated budget? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks, Bob

*D-D-D-DAMN!*, but that's a gorgeous piece of hardware! Do I see a
wireless kbd/mouse receiver in there?

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

Yes indeed DD, there's a wireless keyboard and mouse for it, as well as
a wireless adapter for internet. I also hacked a mouse to a Happs
trackball my buddy took out of a Golden Tee. Pics of that hack here.
http://www.game-art.org/jrod/mousehack.JPG Actually I have since
improved it, I got the pcb to fit inside of the trackball itself, so all
there is is wires to hook up. Right now it has MAME/NES/SNES/GBA/N64/PSX
on it, I find that usually I lay in bed using a gamepad and play old
nes/snes on it. Thanks for the compliment, I love the curly maple. Just
wanted to make something a bit more classy, y'know? -JC

!