Software Cooling

Can anyone reccomend a good software cooler that:

* Works with Win2k (and isn't superfluous ie. does more than just HLT)
* Works with AMD processors (ie. sets the "cool bit")
* Is freeware?

The obvious answer is VCool, but this just says "an unexpected error
occured" when I try to start VCool.

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:29:27 -0700, Chris Smowton wrote:

> Can anyone reccomend a good software cooler that:
>
> * Works with Win2k (and isn't superfluous ie. does more than just HLT)
> * Works with AMD processors (ie. sets the "cool bit")
> * Is freeware?
>
> The obvious answer is VCool, but this just says "an unexpected error
> occured" when I try to start VCool.

What chipset do you have? I ran LVcool on VIA, and now run Athcool on SIS.
So it depends on what chipset your MB uses.

The CPU MSR guy will be making one to change frequencies on mobile cpus on
desktops (or desktop cpus modified to mobiles). It might change voltage too,
though most desktops won't allow that.

http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> The CPU MSR guy will be making one to change frequencies on mobile cpus on
> desktops (or desktop cpus modified to mobiles). It might change voltage
too,
> though most desktops won't allow that.
>
> http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm

I should elaborate. When you're just doing E-mail it will slow down the cpu,
but when you suddenly start gaming it will max it out.

Right now with his software I can change my mobile 2200 between 500 - 2075.

I'd have to cut one L6 track to go higher.

The temps really respond to a speed change. About a range of 7C there.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed

On 23 Aug 2004 16:29:27 -0700, smowtonchris@hotmail.com (Chris Smowton)
wrote:

>Can anyone reccomend a good software cooler that:
>
>* Works with Win2k (and isn't superfluous ie. does more than just HLT)
>* Works with AMD processors (ie. sets the "cool bit")
>* Is freeware?
>
>The obvious answer is VCool, but this just says "an unexpected error
>occured" when I try to start VCool.

SpeedFan has HLT and S2K bus disconnect settings.

minotaur

Chris Smowton wrote:
> Can anyone reccomend a good software cooler that:
>
> * Works with Win2k (and isn't superfluous ie. does more than just HLT)
> * Works with AMD processors (ie. sets the "cool bit")
> * Is freeware?
>
> The obvious answer is VCool, but this just says "an unexpected error
> occured" when I try to start VCool.

Speedfan...

"Minotaur" <antnel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Chris Smowton wrote:
> > Can anyone reccomend a good software cooler that:
> >
> > * Works with Win2k (and isn't superfluous ie. does more than just HLT)
> > * Works with AMD processors (ie. sets the "cool bit")
> > * Is freeware?
> >
> > The obvious answer is VCool, but this just says "an unexpected error
> > occured" when I try to start VCool.
>
> Speedfan...

WTF...

Ed Light wrote:
> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>> The CPU MSR guy will be making one to change frequencies on mobile
>> cpus on desktops (or desktop cpus modified to mobiles). It might
>> change voltage too, though most desktops won't allow that.
>>
>> http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm
>
> I should elaborate. When you're just doing E-mail it will slow down
> the cpu, but when you suddenly start gaming it will max it out.
>
> Right now with his software I can change my mobile 2200 between 500 -
> 2075.
>
> I'd have to cut one L6 track to go higher.

You could just use the AMD PowerNow driver to do it all automagically for
you :) Only time it won't work correctly is if you have a higher maximum
multiplier than your CPU will be stable at, as it will try to step up to the
max when the load hits and thus crash your computer. I have a patch for it
which "fixes" this by hard-coding the maximum multiplier into the driver if
you're interested.

[...]

--
Michael Brown

"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote

> You could just use the AMD PowerNow driver to do it all automagically for
> you :) Only time it won't work correctly is if you have a higher maximum
> multiplier than your CPU will be stable at, as it will try to step up to
the
> max when the load hits and thus crash your computer. I have a patch for it
> which "fixes" this by hard-coding the maximum multiplier into the driver
if
> you're interested.

There is a driver that works for socket A kt400? Not just Athlon 64? I don't
see it on the AMD site.

Is there a url explaining it?

Wow!

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

| I ran LVcool on VIA, and now run Athcool on SIS.
What about nForce2 400 ? Vcool v2 alpha 6 & CPUcool* v729 both
can work, but seem to jam a Smartlink sftwre mdm which otherwise
works well on nForce2.

* can activate VIA kt266a 's ACPI controller very well, if 1 presses
"sleep" then "wake up", after 4in1 v4.48 is installed in 98se / ME. But
this cannot work on nForce2 in 98se, despite having nVidia 's driver.

Can any mboard bios activate ACPI ?

Ed Light wrote:
> "Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote
>
>> You could just use the AMD PowerNow driver to do it all
>> automagically for you :) Only time it won't work correctly is if you
>> have a higher maximum multiplier than your CPU will be stable at, as
>> it will try to step up to the max when the load hits and thus crash
>> your computer. I have a patch for it which "fixes" this by
>> hard-coding the maximum multiplier into the driver if you're
>> interested.
>
> There is a driver that works for socket A kt400? Not just Athlon 64?
> I don't see it on the AMD site.

It's not on the AMD site, it's on the MS one :) It's not very well
advertised, and it's not easy to get, but with a bit of peserverence you can
find it :)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813383
(descscribes it a bit)

The file you're looking for is the AMDK7 driver. You may be able to get it
off MS if you feel like paying for the priviledge. Otherwise, you can
download it off the net or rip it from SP2. To check to see if it's already
installed run "cmd" and type "driverquery". If you see a driver named AMDK7
then it's already installed but you need to do a registry hack to get it to
work:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q306/4/58.asp&NoWebContent=
1

You may also have to set your "power saving" features to something more
aggressive than "home/office desk" as well to make it actually do anything.

Yeah, sounds pretty sketchy to me as well, but it seemed to work when I
tried it (briefly) on a KT333.

[...]

--
Michael Brown

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:58:54 +1200, "Michael Brown"
<see@signature.below> wrote:

If this is a stupid Q, then PLEASE don't flame me, I'm VERY green.

Is this driver "amdk7.sys" working with an XP3200+ Barton or is it
only the mobile it will work with?

It is installed on my system, but I wount activate it if it wont work.

Than in advance

Ed

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:09:03 +0200, Anders Nielsen <Still@nomail.dk>
wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:58:54 +1200, "Michael Brown"
><see@signature.below> wrote:
>
>If this is a stupid Q, then PLEASE don't flame me, I'm VERY green.
>
>Is this driver "amdk7.sys" working with an XP3200+ Barton or is it
>only the mobile it will work with?
>
>It is installed on my system, but I wount activate it if it wont work.
>
>Than in advance

See first 2 hits
http://www.google.com/search?q=amdk7.sys

Ed

It seems the amdk7.sys is a necessity for mobile procs to utilize PowerNow
software, but I'm gonna step out here and suggest it is a driver for all K7
processors. My sys shows version 5.1.2600.1152 of amdk7.sys currently
installed and running (damn fine thing too!)

HTH

Garry

"Anders Nielsen" <Still@nomail.dk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:58:54 +1200, "Michael Brown"
> <see@signature.below> wrote:
>
> If this is a stupid Q, then PLEASE don't flame me, I'm VERY green.
>
> Is this driver "amdk7.sys" working with an XP3200+ Barton or is it
> only the mobile it will work with?
>
> It is installed on my system, but I wount activate it if it wont work.
>
> Than in advance

I have implemented the reg mod on a 1700+ and a 2800+ and it lowered
the temps just fine.

<see@signature.below> wrote:

>Ed Light wrote:
>> "Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote
>>
>>> You could just use the AMD PowerNow driver to do it all
>>> automagically for you :) Only time it won't work correctly is if you
>>> have a higher maximum multiplier than your CPU will be stable at, as
>>> it will try to step up to the max when the load hits and thus crash
>>> your computer. I have a patch for it which "fixes" this by
>>> hard-coding the maximum multiplier into the driver if you're
>>> interested.
>>
>> There is a driver that works for socket A kt400? Not just Athlon 64?
>> I don't see it on the AMD site.
>
>It's not on the AMD site, it's on the MS one :) It's not very well
>advertised, and it's not easy to get, but with a bit of peserverence you can
>find it :)
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813383
>(descscribes it a bit)
>
>The file you're looking for is the AMDK7 driver. You may be able to get it
>off MS if you feel like paying for the priviledge. Otherwise, you can
>download it off the net or rip it from SP2. To check to see if it's already
>installed run "cmd" and type "driverquery". If you see a driver named AMDK7
>then it's already installed but you need to do a registry hack to get it to
>work:
>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q306/4/58.asp&NoWebContent=
>1
>
>You may also have to set your "power saving" features to something more
>aggressive than "home/office desk" as well to make it actually do anything.
>

>Yeah, sounds pretty sketchy to me as well, but it seemed to work when I
>tried it (briefly) on a KT333.
>
>[...]

Lenster

You know you've been on the computer too long when...
You start double clicking the TV remote!

Remove YourNightgown to reply by email

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:56:04 -0500, Ed <nosay@home.com> wrote:

>See first 2 hits
>http://www.google.com/search?q=amdk7.sys
>
>Ed
I'm just wondering here, but why do people seem to promote the use of
a search engine here, surely if we all did that then newsgroups would
become redundant. I find the answers I get in newsgroups are most
often more to the piont than the thousands of offered web pages that
are pushing someones elses agenda Plus is it only me or googles
I'm now trying other search engines and will see if the results are
less "buy it here" type and more helpful.
One wonders if a company could use newsgroups to push their use rather
than honest people answering the question. One wonders why peoples
whose answers seem to only consist of "use google" bother to read
newsgroups???

Ed

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:03:06 +0800, Lurk <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:56:04 -0500, Ed <nosay@home.com> wrote:
>

>>See first 2 hits
>>http://www.google.com/search?q=amdk7.sys
>>
>>Ed
>I'm just wondering here, but why do people seem to promote the use of
>a search engine here, surely if we all did that then newsgroups would
>become redundant. I find the answers I get in newsgroups are most
>often more to the piont than the thousands of offered web pages that
>are pushing someones elses agenda Plus is it only me or googles
>I'm now trying other search engines and will see if the results are
>less "buy it here" type and more helpful.
>One wonders if a company could use newsgroups to push their use rather
>than honest people answering the question. One wonders why peoples
>whose answers seem to only consist of "use google" bother to read
>newsgroups???

I'll be honest, I'm just not good at explaining things, and if it were
me doing the asking I'd rather have a link and read the info myself from
the source(s) and not some yahoo who might think he knows what he's
talking about anyway!

Have a good day,
Ed

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:03:06 +0800, Lurk wrote:

> I'm just wondering here, but why do people seem to promote the use of
> a search engine here, surely if we all did that then newsgroups would
> become redundant. I find the answers I get in newsgroups are most
> often more to the piont than the thousands of offered web pages that
> are pushing someones elses agenda

So search Google groups instead of the web.:)

After being asked the same over and over and over again, I just put the
info on my web servers. I can't remeber how many times I've seen what's
the fastest cpu I can run in my xyz board. See link in sig line.

And in case you think it isn't asked much.:)

Results 1 - 10 of about 96,200 for fastest cpu. (1.93 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,020 for kt7 fastest cpu. (0.38 seconds)

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
> I can't remeber how many times I've seen what's
> the fastest cpu I can run in my xyz board. See link in sig line.

I say google out the manufacturer's web site and it will be listed in the
support section.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Chris Smowton" <smowtonchris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone reccomend a good software cooler that:
>
> * Works with Win2k (and isn't superfluous ie. does more than just HLT)
> * Works with AMD processors (ie. sets the "cool bit")
> * Is freeware?

i use CoolON though its friggen hard to get, and find the pcidebug file for
it, i have it if you want it i can post it on a web site for ya or email it
to ya. i was reading some HardOp review ages ago and came across it, and
used ever since, no problem, and reduced my temps by 8celcius in windows,
when gaming or doing intesnive tasks, its not much use.

--
Almeyda

AMD2500XP @3200XP-11X200-2.21Ghz |
A7N8X-E Deluxe | Corsair TWINX1024 XMS3200XL 5-2-2-2 DualChannel |
HIS Excalibur 9800XT 256mb @459/398 (Omegas 2.5.67 & ATI tool 0.21 No
Artifacts)
1x80GB SATA Seagate 8mg cache | 2x40GB ATA Seagate |
SB AudigyES | ANTEC SuperLanboy 350 Case (350W SmartBlue PS) |
Doom3 @ 1024x768 Ultra High, all visuals on. (Demo1 = 43fps vcard not
o'clocked)

this is the site for CoolON http://homepage2.nifty.com/coolon/ if you can
get around this site and understand it tell me how..

--

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:50:56 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>> I can't remeber how many times I've seen what's
>> the fastest cpu I can run in my xyz board. See link in sig line.
>
> I say google out the manufacturer's web site and it will be listed in the
> support section.

All manufactures sites are wrong. Look below as an example. Abit list the
fastest cpu for the KT7 boards to be an old thunderbird 1400B model and
says no XP will work in it. As a matter of fact, I'm installing a Tbred B
core XP in my brothers old MSI K7T (first model) board tomorrow. It's also
a KT133 chipset.

TRENDING THREADS