My USB ports are not working properly.

Toni

I recently purchased a USB DVD burner. All of a sudden, my USB ports are not
functioning properly. I have 3 ports on my laptop, and have tried all of
them. Also, my mouse works, but only if it is plugged in when I start my
computer. If it is unplugged, and then plugged back in, the computer can't
find it. I have very little computer knowledge, so need step by step
walkthroughs. I have tried the troubleshooter, and followed all the steps,
and nothing has worked. PLEASE HELP! Thanks,

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You would be better off asking the laptop manufacturer's tech support.

"Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a USB DVD burner. All of a sudden, my USB ports are
>not
> functioning properly. I have 3 ports on my laptop, and have tried all of
> them. Also, my mouse works, but only if it is plugged in when I start my
> computer. If it is unplugged, and then plugged back in, the computer
> can't
> find it. I have very little computer knowledge, so need step by step
> walkthroughs. I have tried the troubleshooter, and followed all the
> steps,
> and nothing has worked. PLEASE HELP! Thanks,

Remove all USB devices
Reboot
Delete all TEMP files
Update MS Windows Updates
Update the PC Bios at the PC Vendor site
Reboot

If not working, Reboot into SAFE Mode
Remove in | Hardware | Device Mgr | USB (Human Interface Devices)
Reboot into normal mode. The OS will reinstall the correct drivers.

If not working run Belarc and post the PC specs here.
Regards, Sir Gary @ New Orleans, Louisiana
LsuEdu@BellSouth.Net
~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~