  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2004 12:36:57 PM

I have an XP1800+ @ 300MHz on my MSI KT3-Ultra2.

What would be the best choice as an upgrade, keeping the existing
motherboard?

XP2400+ 256Kb?
XP2500+ 512Kb Barton?
XP3000+ 512Kb barton?

I doubt the KT3 is capable of an FSB much higher than 333MHz (am I
correct?) which makes the XP2500+ less attractive.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

More about : cpu choice kt333 board

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2004 7:22:07 PM

Mobile Barton. Unlocked.

I have a 35w 2200+ on my kt400 at 333. Using CPU MSR I can adjust it between
500-2075mhz. If I cut a bridge I can go up as high as it will take. That's
because the bridge for the top speed is now set at 12.5x multiplier. Note
that on mobiles the bridge for the startup multiplier is at 5x, I think. 800
mhz at 333.

Note that on a desktop the voltage is misinterpreted. But that's ok if your
board can't adjust the voltage and you're going to overclock, because it
sets it higher.

On mine it changed it from 1.35v to 5.52v.

But first read:

http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier/AXP_Multip...

Actually, I don't know -- can a motherboard that can set the multiplier
force it past the maximum set on the (unlocked) cpu? I'm just learing.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
August 25, 2004 9:01:31 PM

"nemgreen" <nemgreen@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have an XP1800+ @ 300MHz on my MSI KT3-Ultra2.
>
> What would be the best choice as an upgrade, keeping the existing
> motherboard?
>
> XP2400+ 256Kb?
> XP2500+ 512Kb Barton?
> XP3000+ 512Kb barton?
>
> I doubt the KT3 is capable of an FSB much higher than 333MHz (am I
> correct?) which makes the XP2500+ less attractive.

Simply get the fastest 333MHz FSB processor :)  That would be a Barton (512K
cache).

Your mobo should be able to handle a few MHz above 333MHz if you have good
DIMMs.
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2004 9:03:28 PM

"nemgreen" <nemgreen@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have an XP1800+ @ 300MHz on my MSI KT3-Ultra2.
>
> What would be the best choice as an upgrade, keeping the existing
> motherboard?
>
> XP2400+ 256Kb?
> XP2500+ 512Kb Barton?
> XP3000+ 512Kb barton?
>
> I doubt the KT3 is capable of an FSB much higher than 333MHz (am I
> correct?) which makes the XP2500+ less attractive.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks

I have an MSI KT3-Ultra (not 2).
I went from XP1800+ (could only get 294MHz stable) to XP2600+ Barton.
At the same time I bought 2x256MB PC3200 RAM.
I can go up to 340MHz stable at Vcore of 1.75.
Your mileage may vary.

HTH,

Rick
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2004 10:54:08 PM

> Any other suggestions?

The XP2400+ probably isn't any faster than your overclocked XP1800+. I
suppose it's likely to overclock higher than your XP1800+ can, but IMHO
the difference wouldn't be big enough to warrant buying a new CPU
(unless you still have a use for the old one in another system).

Regarding the XP3000+, its performance is subpar compared to the socket
754 Athlon 64s, which don't cost much more. Of course you'd need a new
motherboard too, but it would be a more future-proof upgrade.

Just my opinion, though.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 4:45:42 AM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:36:57 -0700, nemgreen wrote:

> I have an XP1800+ @ 300MHz on my MSI KT3-Ultra2.

That's a little slow for an 1800+ (default is 1533MHz). Now if that's
2300MHz (which is quite possible), then forget upgrading.

> What would be the best choice as an upgrade, keeping the existing
> motherboard?
>
> XP2400+ 256Kb?
> XP2500+ 512Kb Barton?
> XP3000+ 512Kb barton?
>
> I doubt the KT3 is capable of an FSB much higher than 333MHz (am I
> correct?) which makes the XP2500+ less attractive.

It's capable of about 185MHz FSB without putting the PCI/AGP buses out too
far.

a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 4:45:43 AM

>>I have an XP1800+ @ 300MHz on my MSI KT3-Ultra2.
>
> That's a little slow for an 1800+ (default is 1533MHz). Now if that's
> 2300MHz (which is quite possible), then forget upgrading.

Maybe I'm out on a limb here, but my guess is the 300MHz is the
clock-doubled FSB speed (150MHz), so the 1800+ (usual speed 133x11.5) is
running at 150x11.5 = 1725MHz.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 11:56:24 AM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:35:46 -0600, Yeremein wrote:

>>>I have an XP1800+ @ 300MHz on my MSI KT3-Ultra2.
>>
>> That's a little slow for an 1800+ (default is 1533MHz). Now if that's
>> 2300MHz (which is quite possible), then forget upgrading.
>
> Maybe I'm out on a limb here, but my guess is the 300MHz is the
> clock-doubled FSB speed (150MHz), so the 1800+ (usual speed 133x11.5) is
> running at 150x11.5 = 1725MHz.

I don't know what he meant, but the FSB clock isn't doubled either.
Only the data rate is doubled.:-)

I assumed it was a typo for 2300, since 11.5x200=2300MHz, but you could be
right too. Many people erroneously use the bogus FSB numbers.