Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sempron warning

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 5:10:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

Don't get screwed by purchasing a new Sempron CPU. They aren't new. They
are just Tbred cores rated with a different benchmark suite to give then
higher PR (model) numbers. The fact is that the Spempron 2800+ ($107) only
runs at about the same perfomance level as the XP 2400+ ($53). And why
shouldn't it, it the same cpu, clocked at the same base cpu clockspeed.
The only difference is that all the Sempron require a default 166MHz FSB.

XP 2400+, core Tbred B, 15x133, 2000MHz
Sempron 2800+, core Tbred B, 12x166, 2000MHz.

Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd to
be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name Cadilac on it
and doubling the price. Buyer beware.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

More about : sempron warning

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 5:10:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

Wes Newell wrote:
> Don't get screwed by purchasing a new Sempron CPU. They aren't new. They
> are just Tbred cores rated with a different benchmark suite to give then
> higher PR (model) numbers. The fact is that the Spempron 2800+ ($107) only
> runs at about the same perfomance level as the XP 2400+ ($53). And why
> shouldn't it, it the same cpu, clocked at the same base cpu clockspeed.
> The only difference is that all the Sempron require a default 166MHz FSB.
>
> XP 2400+, core Tbred B, 15x133, 2000MHz
> Sempron 2800+, core Tbred B, 12x166, 2000MHz.
>
> Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd to
> be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name Cadilac on it
> and doubling the price. Buyer beware.
>
what is with the bus speeds? AMD Sempron™ 3100+ @ 1800Mhz FSB (Socket A)
256k" cache is half the size but 1800?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 5:10:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

Model: AMD Sempron 2800+
Core: Thoroughbred
Operating Frequency: 2.0GHz
FSB: Integrated into Chip
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 256KB
Voltage: 1.65V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket A
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+

Notice the FSB

Model: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Core: Thoroughbred
Operating Frequency: 2GHz
FSB: 266MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/256K
Voltage: 1.65V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket A
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+

Again Notice the FSB

--
"Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
holds all the pieces of the Universe togethe
"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.08.26.01.10.13.55407@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> Don't get screwed by purchasing a new Sempron CPU. They aren't new. They
> are just Tbred cores rated with a different benchmark suite to give then
> higher PR (model) numbers. The fact is that the Spempron 2800+ ($107) only
> runs at about the same perfomance level as the XP 2400+ ($53). And why
> shouldn't it, it the same cpu, clocked at the same base cpu clockspeed.
> The only difference is that all the Sempron require a default 166MHz FSB.
>
> XP 2400+, core Tbred B, 15x133, 2000MHz
> Sempron 2800+, core Tbred B, 12x166, 2000MHz.
>
> Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd to
> be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name Cadilac on it
> and doubling the price. Buyer beware.
>
> --
> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 5:42:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:22:56 -0400, crucom wrote:

> what is with the bus speeds? AMD Sempron 3100+ @ 1800Mhz FSB (Socket A)
> 256k" cache is half the size but 1800?

The Sempron 3100+ is a socket 754 CPU. It won't work in socket A. If
you're talking about the pricewatch ad, it's just a screwup.Note 754pin
beside socket A.:-)

And the Sempron for 754 is the same. if you want to reasonably vompare it
to an Athlon 64 754 CPU, subtract 400 from the model number of the
Sempron. IOW's the Athlon 64 2800+ is faster the the Sempron 3100+ for the
same board.

AMDs' acronym for Sempron= Screw Everyone Purchasers Rely On Numbers.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 5:43:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:42:28 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

> AMDs' acronym for Sempron= Screw Everyone Purchasers Rely On Numbers.

That Should have read, Screw Everyone Most Purchasers Rely On Numbers.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 8:18:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

Think I'll side with Wes' thoughts here. Another money grab. My XP2400 is
very happy at 11 X 200

Notice the FSB

Garry


"Daniel P" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:6TcXc.149693$Oi.130808@fed1read04...
> Model: AMD Sempron 2800+
> Core: Thoroughbred
> Operating Frequency: 2.0GHz
> FSB: Integrated into Chip
> Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 256KB
> Voltage: 1.65V
> Process: 0.13Micron
> Socket: Socket A
> Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
>
> Notice the FSB
>
> Model: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
> Core: Thoroughbred
> Operating Frequency: 2GHz
> FSB: 266MHz
> Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/256K
> Voltage: 1.65V
> Process: 0.13Micron
> Socket: Socket A
> Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
>
> Again Notice the FSB
>
> --
> "Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and
it
> holds all the pieces of the Universe togethe
> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.08.26.01.10.13.55407@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> > Don't get screwed by purchasing a new Sempron CPU. They aren't new. They
> > are just Tbred cores rated with a different benchmark suite to give then
> > higher PR (model) numbers. The fact is that the Spempron 2800+ ($107)
only
> > runs at about the same perfomance level as the XP 2400+ ($53). And why
> > shouldn't it, it the same cpu, clocked at the same base cpu clockspeed.
> > The only difference is that all the Sempron require a default 166MHz
FSB.
> >
> > XP 2400+, core Tbred B, 15x133, 2000MHz
> > Sempron 2800+, core Tbred B, 12x166, 2000MHz.
> >
> > Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd to
> > be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name Cadilac on
it
> > and doubling the price. Buyer beware.
> >
> > --
> > Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
> > http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
>
>
August 26, 2004 6:04:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:56:19 -0500, Bob M <ram1220@vzavenue.net> wrote:

> This still won't sway me to buy Intel next time. But I will make sure I
>do my research on the AMD chips before I do upgrade again. Thanks for
>the info.
>
> Bob

If the Celeron wasn't such a dog AMD would have made the Sempron run
faster, but it's a low end chip to compete with Celeron not Athlon XP or
P4 or A64, get over it! ;p

Ed
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 7:32:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...

notice amd say's both socet A & 754 pin? what the deal with that



Wes Newell wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:42:28 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:
>
>
>>AMDs' acronym for Sempron= Screw Everyone Purchasers Rely On Numbers.
>
>
> That Should have read, Screw Everyone Most Purchasers Rely On Numbers.
>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 8:27:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

Wes Newell wrote:

> Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd
> to be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name
> Cadilac on it and doubling the price. Buyer beware.

That doesn't mean that whole Sempron series is not worth its price.
Sempron 2300+ with its price lower than XP 2000+ is pretty cheap
processor.

--
# Lukasz Ledochowski
# GG:503647
# lukled@tlen.pl
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 9:13:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:27:37 +0000, Lukasz Ledochowski wrote:

> Wes Newell wrote:
>
>> Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd
>> to be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name
>> Cadilac on it and doubling the price. Buyer beware.
>
> That doesn't mean that whole Sempron series is not worth its price.
> Sempron 2300+ with its price lower than XP 2000+ is pretty cheap
> processor.

The cheapest Sempron I could find was a 2400+ for $60. That's the same as
a 2000+ XP, which sells for $48. But it's your money.:-)

AMD has discontinued the XP's except for the XP 2800+ and faster Barton
cores. Changed the name of the lower model Tbred XP's and raised the
model (PR) numbers by a `400 and raised the price to match. What is it
about this that you don't understand? Do some research.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2004 9:37:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

Wes Newell wrote:

> match. What is it about this that you don't understand? Do some
> research.

I've done some research and I found Sempron 2300+ (1583MHz,
FSB166(333)) cheaper than XP 2000+ (1666, 133(266)). These are
comparable processors and I can't say that this model is to expensive.

--
# Lukasz Ledochowski
# GG:503647
# lukled@tlen.pl
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 1:41:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

*****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
"crucom" <crucial@execulink.com> wrote in message
news:XqGdnTMp4OufpLPcRVn-oQ@golden.net...
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...
>
> notice amd say's both socet A & 754 pin? what the deal with that
>
It's a mistake!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 1:49:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:cglhsi$duc$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
> "crucom" <crucial@execulink.com> wrote in message
> news:XqGdnTMp4OufpLPcRVn-oQ@golden.net...
> >
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...
> >
> > notice amd say's both socet A & 754 pin? what the deal with that
> >
> It's a mistake!
>
>

How is it a mistake?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 2:06:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:37:08 +0000, Lukasz Ledochowski wrote:

> Wes Newell wrote:
>
>> match. What is it about this that you don't understand? Do some
>> research.
>
> I've done some research and I found Sempron 2300+ (1583MHz,
> FSB166(333)) cheaper than XP 2000+ (1666, 133(266)). These are
> comparable processors and I can't say that this model is to expensive.

Ok, I've found several places that sell the XP 2000+ for $44. The
cheapest Sempron I could find was $60 for a 2400+. The Only 2300+ I found
was $88. So where have you found the Sempron 2300+ for under $44?

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 2:08:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:56:19 -0500, Bob M wrote:

> This still won't sway me to buy Intel next time. But I will make sure I
> do my research on the AMD chips before I do upgrade again. Thanks for
> the info.
>
Believe me, I'm not pushing Intel. The last Intel CPU I owned was a 486.:-)

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 2:08:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> Believe me, I'm not pushing Intel. The last Intel CPU I owned was a 486.:-)

My 486 was an AMD DX4-100.

I did have a 400MHz Celeron-A in 1999, though.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 2:11:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:32:01 -0400, crucom wrote:

> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...
>
> notice amd say's both socet A & 754 pin? what the deal with that
>
The deal is that all their so called budget CPU's will get the Sempron
name. The Sempron 3100+ is for socket 754 (and is slower than an A64
2800+). 2800+ and below Semprons are for socket A.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 2:54:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

yeah ive herad about them changing the name of the duron to the sempron,
just threw me off with the 1800bus. thank you im all ok now, i think but
who knows, lol

thanks for the help


Wes Newell wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:32:01 -0400, crucom wrote:
>
>
>>http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...
>>
>>notice amd say's both socet A & 754 pin? what the deal with that
>>
>
> The deal is that all their so called budget CPU's will get the Sempron
> name. The Sempron 3100+ is for socket 754 (and is slower than an A64
> 2800+). 2800+ and below Semprons are for socket A.
>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 4:01:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

Wes Newell wrote:

> > I've done some research and I found Sempron 2300+ (1583MHz,
> > FSB166(333)) cheaper than XP 2000+ (1666, 133(266)). These are
> > comparable processors and I can't say that this model is to
> > expensive.
>
> Ok, I've found several places that sell the XP 2000+ for $44. The
> cheapest Sempron I could find was $60 for a 2400+. The Only 2300+ I
> found was $88. So where have you found the Sempron 2300+ for under
> $44?

It depends on the part of the world you are in:)  I'm in Poland and here
Athlon XP 2000+ and Sempron 2300+ cost about 60 USD. But ok, I agree
that new Sempron line isn't that what i was really waiting for:)  If you
can buy XP 2400+ for 48USD (like www.sharkyextreme.com says) than
Sempron is a product that could never exist.

--
# Lukasz Ledochowski
# GG:503647
# lukled@tlen.pl
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 8:41:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:41:34 -0700, Daniel P wrote:

> Here
> http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/sempron...

Here what??

BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
properly cut everything that was below it. But as far as I can tell, it
has nothing to do with your link, so I still don't know what point you are
trying to make here. That Newegg sells bundled Semprons?

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 8:41:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

Read you learned it elementry school

--
"Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
holds all the pieces of the Universe together"
"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.08.27.04.41.48.460796@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:41:34 -0700, Daniel P wrote:
>
> > Here
> >
http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/sempron...
>
> Here what??
>
> BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
> properly cut everything that was below it. But as far as I can tell, it
> has nothing to do with your link, so I still don't know what point you are
> trying to make here. That Newegg sells bundled Semprons?
>
> --
> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 10:02:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

*****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message
news:p VsXc.1004$wh2.178@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
>
> "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> news:cglhsi$duc$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
>> "crucom" <crucial@execulink.com> wrote in message
>> news:XqGdnTMp4OufpLPcRVn-oQ@golden.net...
>> >
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...
>> >
>> > notice amd say's both socet A & 754 pin? what the deal with that
>> >
>> It's a mistake!
>>
>>
>
> How is it a mistake?
>
No sorry... Semprons are available in both Soc A and 754.... I though he
meant one CPU was described as both...Doh!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 11:50:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:00:39 -0700, Daniel P wrote:

> Read you learned it elementry school

Too bad you didn't learn how to post a newgroup message.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 5:01:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>
> BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
> properly cut everything that was below it.

Properly?
It's butcher. Find a workaround.


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 6:04:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
news:fqMXc.107885$Lj.45374@fed1read03...
>
> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
> >
> > BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
> > properly cut everything that was below it.
>
> Properly?
> It's butcher. Find a workaround.

Correction: It's a butcher.


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2004 6:36:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

Ed wrote:
>
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:56:19 -0500, Bob M <ram1220@vzavenue.net> wrote:
>
> > This still won't sway me to buy Intel next time. But I will make sure I
> >do my research on the AMD chips before I do upgrade again. Thanks for
> >the info.
> >
> > Bob
>
> If the Celeron wasn't such a dog AMD would have made the Sempron run
> faster, but it's a low end chip to compete with Celeron not Athlon XP or
> P4 or A64, get over it! ;p
>
> Ed

Get over what dickhead?
--
Takeoff is an option.
Landing is a must!


And in the end on wheels we will depend.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 3:31:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

yeah what is with all the bottom postings?


Ed Light wrote:
> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>
>>BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
>>properly cut everything that was below it.
>
>
> Properly?
> It's butcher. Find a workaround.
>
>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 3:31:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"crucom" <crucial@execulink.com> wrote in message
news:V6mdnW5P5-9SZ7LcRVn-qQ@golden.net...
> yeah what is with all the bottom postings?
>
>
> Ed Light wrote:
> > "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
> >
> >>BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
> >>properly cut everything that was below it.
> >
> >
> > Properly?
> > It's butcher. Find a workaround.
> >
> >

I'm sure a real newsreader would include everything up to the next header.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 7:22:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:01:17 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

>
> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>>
>> BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
>> properly cut everything that was below it.
>
> Properly?

Yes, properly. And if you would use a real news reader instead of an email
client like OE, it would do it properly too.:-)

> It's butcher. Find a workaround.

What? You want me to break it like OE is? There's no need to find a
workaround, since there's not a problem with mine to workaround.:-)
Now since OE won't delete the old sig line, it's you that should find a
workaround, or delete it manually. But a real newsreader would do it for
you.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 7:22:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"Wes Newell"

You're saying that your reader can't handle top posting, but it's superior.
I'm mystified.

It must be missing some necessary logic.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 8:06:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:31:31 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

>
> "Wes Newell"
>
> You're saying that your reader can't handle top posting, but it's superior.
> I'm mystified.
>
> It must be missing some necessary logic.

No, it handles it just the way it should. Note that your sig line or
anthing below it is in this message, and I didn't delete it. The
newsreader did as it is supposed to. Now when you people using OE reply to
a message OE leaves the old sig line in the message, and it is supposed to
be removed. IOW's, my reader functions properly, yours doesn't.:-)

And top posting is not superior. It's just plain stupid. Can't you
configure OE to place the cursor after the quoted text where it should be?
If not, then hit your page down key til you get to the bottom, and
manually remove the old sig line. These are standard practices, and
they've been around since long before windows.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 8:06:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"Wes Newell"

We must mean different things. To me a sig line is

--
Ed Light
me@isp.net

At any rate, whatever. I'm too tired to grasp what you're reader is doing.
Sorry!

When I top post I'm assuming that will be quick transition for someone
reading the previous message, and if not, they can see below.

I guess we can agree to disagree.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
August 28, 2004 8:06:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:24:00 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
wrote:

<snip>
>When I top post I'm assuming that will be quick transition for someone
>reading the previous message, and if not, they can see below.
>
>I guess we can agree to disagree.

Bad thing about top posting is if there's a good long discussion going
it's hard for others to jump in and follow, I get all confused who's
replying to who, to me top posting is like if you were writing a letter
and started at the bottom of the page and ended at the top! ;p

just my $0.02
Ed
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 11:18:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:24:00 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

>
> "Wes Newell"
>
> We must mean different things. To me a sig line is
>
> --
> Ed Light
> me@isp.net
>
That's correct, and it should be limited to 4 lines. I notice yours is 8.

> At any rate, whatever. I'm too tired to grasp what you're reader is
> doing. Sorry!
>
It deleted your sigline and all thereafter when I pressed reply.

> When I top post I'm assuming that will be quick transition for someone
> reading the previous message, and if not, they can see below.
>
It's not. Especially, when there's mixed top and bottom post from several
people.

> I guess we can agree to disagree.

I choose to follow the set standard. I guess you don't.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 2:13:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in
news:p an.2004.08.28.07.17.36.230687@TAKEOUTverizon.net:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:24:00 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
>
>>
>> "Wes Newell"
>>
>> We must mean different things. To me a sig line is
>>
>> --
>> Ed Light
>> me@isp.net
>>
> That's correct, and it should be limited to 4 lines. I notice yours is 8.
>
>> At any rate, whatever. I'm too tired to grasp what you're reader is
>> doing. Sorry!
>>
> It deleted your sigline and all thereafter when I pressed reply.
>
>> When I top post I'm assuming that will be quick transition for someone
>> reading the previous message, and if not, they can see below.
>>
> It's not. Especially, when there's mixed top and bottom post from several
> people.
>
>> I guess we can agree to disagree.
>
> I choose to follow the set standard. I guess you don't.
>

How about a new standard? "Top post/bottom post" and "My newsreader is
better than your newsreader" wars should be limited to two follow-ups
before you guys are forced to change the subject line... ;) 

--
Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)
August 28, 2004 2:13:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On 28 Aug 2004 10:13:30 GMT, Peder <x@x.com> wrote:

>
>How about a new standard? "Top post/bottom post" and "My newsreader is
>better than your newsreader" wars should be limited to two follow-ups
>before you guys are forced to change the subject line... ;) 

Standards are standards, you can't just change them! ;P
Ed
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 3:24:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

kill file
your gone

--
"Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
holds all the pieces of the Universe together"
"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.08.28.04.06.01.875864@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:31:31 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
>
> >
> > "Wes Newell"
> >
> > You're saying that your reader can't handle top posting, but it's
superior.
> > I'm mystified.
> >
> > It must be missing some necessary logic.
>
> No, it handles it just the way it should. Note that your sig line or
> anthing below it is in this message, and I didn't delete it. The
> newsreader did as it is supposed to. Now when you people using OE reply to
> a message OE leaves the old sig line in the message, and it is supposed to
> be removed. IOW's, my reader functions properly, yours doesn't.:-)
>
> And top posting is not superior. It's just plain stupid. Can't you
> configure OE to place the cursor after the quoted text where it should be?
> If not, then hit your page down key til you get to the bottom, and
> manually remove the old sig line. These are standard practices, and
> they've been around since long before windows.
>
> --
> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 6:53:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote> Bad thing about top posting is if there's a
good long discussion going
> it's hard for others to jump in and follow, I get all confused who's
> replying to who, to me top posting is like if you were writing a letter
> and started at the bottom of the page and ended at the top! ;p

Actually, I only top post if it makes sense after reading the stuff below
it. Otherwise, I do the traditional reply under each part thing.


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 6:55:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.08.28.07.17.36.230687@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:24:00 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
>
> >
> > "Wes Newell"
> >
> > We must mean different things. To me a sig line is
> >
> > --
> > Ed Light
> > me@isp.net
> >
> That's correct, and it should be limited to 4 lines. I notice yours is 8.

I can't really worry about it given all the bandwidth that we have today.
Ten years ago, I would have agreed.

> I choose to follow the set standard. I guess you don't.

Standards change with usage. The dictionaries used to show E-mail with caps
but it's becoming e-mail.

Stand back for the pioneers! ;-) Just kidding.


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 6:56:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"Peder" <x@x.com> wrote
> How about a new standard? "Top post/bottom post" and "My newsreader is
> better than your newsreader" wars should be limited to two follow-ups
> before you guys are forced to change the subject line... ;) 
Not if we buy and install Semprons. How about if we used to run a Duron?
:-)


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 6:59:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

BTW, Wes, how does your newsreader recognize a signature? How can it be
sure? What parsing does it do to determine that?


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2004 7:01:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

> > If not, then hit your page down key til you get to the bottom, and
> > manually remove the old sig line. These are standard practices, and
> > they've been around since long before windows.

Actually, I'm going to be sympathetic if you are using a text-based console.
But the majority is way past that, I'm afraid.


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 29, 2004 11:30:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:59:09 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

> BTW, Wes, how does your newsreader recognize a signature? How can it be
> sure? What parsing does it do to determine that?

0A 2D 2D 20 0A

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 29, 2004 11:30:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.08.29.07.30.55.167881@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:59:09 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
>
> > BTW, Wes, how does your newsreader recognize a signature? How can it be
> > sure? What parsing does it do to determine that?
>
> 0A 2D 2D 20 0A

You lost me. But that's ok.


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 29, 2004 8:30:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:40:48 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

>
> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.08.29.07.30.55.167881@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
>> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:59:09 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
>>
>> > BTW, Wes, how does your newsreader recognize a signature? How can it be
>> > sure? What parsing does it do to determine that?
>>
>> 0A 2D 2D 20 0A
>
> You lost me. But that's ok.

That's the code that represents a newline, dash, dash, space, newline. Or
a sig line, like you asked. I assumed you wanted the actual codes rather
than 2 dashes, then a space and return on a new line.. The 2D 2D 20 and
everything thereafter should be delted from the message in a reply.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 29, 2004 8:30:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
> That's the code that represents a newline, dash, dash, space, newline. Or
> a sig line, like you asked. I assumed you wanted the actual codes rather
> than 2 dashes, then a space and return on a new line.. The 2D 2D 20 and
> everything thereafter should be delted from the message in a reply.

Not everyone starts their sig with two dashes, a space, and a return.
And I know I might do a post such as:

--
>quoted text
--
My response


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 30, 2004 7:46:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:12:08 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

>
> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>> That's the code that represents a newline, dash, dash, space, newline. Or
>> a sig line, like you asked. I assumed you wanted the actual codes rather
>> than 2 dashes, then a space and return on a new line.. The 2D 2D 20 and
>> everything thereafter should be delted from the message in a reply.
>
> Not everyone starts their sig with two dashes, a space, and a return.
> And I know I might do a post such as:
>
> --
>>quoted text
> --
> My response

Well, I didn't write the code, but if i had I would certainly would
recognize only the last occurance of the target string as the sigline. And
you might note that it was removed form this reply. Why don't you ask one
of the newsreader authors? i'm sure they can tell you for sure.

Just as a little test, I'm adding a second sigline manually to this
message after the original one. And then we'll see what happens. Or I
will, i guess if your reader doesn't support it, you won't.:-)

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
The manual sigline is below this.

--
And this is the manually added one.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 30, 2004 7:46:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
> Just as a little test, I'm adding a second sigline manually to this
> message after the original one. And then we'll see what happens. Or I
> will, i guess if your reader doesn't support it, you won't.:-)

I see them!
>
> --
> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
> The manual sigline is below this.
>
> --
> And this is the manually added one.
>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 30, 2004 7:55:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:46:56 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:12:08 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
>
>>
>> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>>> That's the code that represents a newline, dash, dash, space, newline. Or
>>> a sig line, like you asked. I assumed you wanted the actual codes rather
>>> than 2 dashes, then a space and return on a new line.. The 2D 2D 20 and
>>> everything thereafter should be delted from the message in a reply.
>>
>> Not everyone starts their sig with two dashes, a space, and a return.
>> And I know I might do a post such as:
>>
>> --
>>>quoted text
>> --
>> My response
>
> Well, I didn't write the code, but if i had I would certainly would
> recognize only the last occurance of the target string as the sigline. And
> you might note that it was removed form this reply. Why don't you ask one
> of the newsreader authors? i'm sure they can tell you for sure.
>
> Just as a little test, I'm adding a second sigline manually to this
> message after the original one. And then we'll see what happens. Or I
> will, i guess if your reader doesn't support it, you won't.:-)
>
> --
> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
> The manual sigline is below this.

So you see, it deletes only the last occurance of the the sigline
sequence. Guess there's no need to bother the authors. Are you happy now? :-)


--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 30, 2004 7:55:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
> So you see, it deletes only the last occurance of the the sigline
> sequence. Guess there's no need to bother the authors. Are you happy now?
:-)

Sure, if you are. ;-)


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
!