Sempron warning

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

Don't get screwed by purchasing a new Sempron CPU. They aren't new. They
are just Tbred cores rated with a different benchmark suite to give then
higher PR (model) numbers. The fact is that the Spempron 2800+ ($107) only
runs at about the same perfomance level as the XP 2400+ ($53). And why
shouldn't it, it the same cpu, clocked at the same base cpu clockspeed.
The only difference is that all the Sempron require a default 166MHz FSB.

XP 2400+, core Tbred B, 15x133, 2000MHz
Sempron 2800+, core Tbred B, 12x166, 2000MHz.

Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd to
be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name Cadilac on it
and doubling the price. Buyer beware.

More about sempron warning
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > Don't get screwed by purchasing a new Sempron CPU. They aren't new. They
    > are just Tbred cores rated with a different benchmark suite to give then
    > higher PR (model) numbers. The fact is that the Spempron 2800+ ($107) only
    > runs at about the same perfomance level as the XP 2400+ ($53). And why
    > shouldn't it, it the same cpu, clocked at the same base cpu clockspeed.
    > The only difference is that all the Sempron require a default 166MHz FSB.
    >
    > XP 2400+, core Tbred B, 15x133, 2000MHz
    > Sempron 2800+, core Tbred B, 12x166, 2000MHz.
    >
    > Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd to
    > be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name Cadilac on it
    > and doubling the price. Buyer beware.

    what is with the bus speeds? AMD Sempron™ 3100+ @ 1800Mhz FSB (Socket A)
    256k" cache is half the size but 1800?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    Model: AMD Sempron 2800+
    Core: Thoroughbred
    Operating Frequency: 2.0GHz
    FSB: Integrated into Chip
    Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 256KB
    Voltage: 1.65V
    Process: 0.13Micron
    Socket: Socket A
    Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+

    Notice the FSB

    Model: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    Core: Thoroughbred
    Operating Frequency: 2GHz
    FSB: 266MHz
    Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/256K
    Voltage: 1.65V
    Process: 0.13Micron
    Socket: Socket A
    Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+

    Again Notice the FSB

    --
    "Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
    holds all the pieces of the Universe togethe
    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    > Don't get screwed by purchasing a new Sempron CPU. They aren't new. They
    > are just Tbred cores rated with a different benchmark suite to give then
    > higher PR (model) numbers. The fact is that the Spempron 2800+ ($107) only
    > runs at about the same perfomance level as the XP 2400+ ($53). And why
    > shouldn't it, it the same cpu, clocked at the same base cpu clockspeed.
    > The only difference is that all the Sempron require a default 166MHz FSB.
    >
    > XP 2400+, core Tbred B, 15x133, 2000MHz
    > Sempron 2800+, core Tbred B, 12x166, 2000MHz.
    >
    > Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd to
    > be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name Cadilac on it
    > and doubling the price. Buyer beware.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:22:56 -0400, crucom wrote:

    > what is with the bus speeds? AMD Sempron 3100+ @ 1800Mhz FSB (Socket A)
    > 256k" cache is half the size but 1800?

    The Sempron 3100+ is a socket 754 CPU. It won't work in socket A. If
    you're talking about the pricewatch ad, it's just a screwup.Note 754pin
    beside socket A.:-)

    And the Sempron for 754 is the same. if you want to reasonably vompare it
    to an Athlon 64 754 CPU, subtract 400 from the model number of the
    Sempron. IOW's the Athlon 64 2800+ is faster the the Sempron 3100+ for the
    same board.

    AMDs' acronym for Sempron= Screw Everyone Purchasers Rely On Numbers.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:42:28 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > AMDs' acronym for Sempron= Screw Everyone Purchasers Rely On Numbers.

    That Should have read, Screw Everyone Most Purchasers Rely On Numbers.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    Think I'll side with Wes' thoughts here. Another money grab. My XP2400 is
    very happy at 11 X 200

    Notice the FSB

    Garry

    "Daniel P" <none@none.com> wrote in message
    > Model: AMD Sempron 2800+
    > Core: Thoroughbred
    > Operating Frequency: 2.0GHz
    > FSB: Integrated into Chip
    > Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 256KB
    > Voltage: 1.65V
    > Process: 0.13Micron
    > Socket: Socket A
    > Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
    >
    > Notice the FSB
    >
    > Model: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    > Core: Thoroughbred
    > Operating Frequency: 2GHz
    > FSB: 266MHz
    > Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/256K
    > Voltage: 1.65V
    > Process: 0.13Micron
    > Socket: Socket A
    > Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
    >
    > Again Notice the FSB
    >
    > --
    > "Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and
    it
    > holds all the pieces of the Universe togethe
    > "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    > > Don't get screwed by purchasing a new Sempron CPU. They aren't new. They
    > > are just Tbred cores rated with a different benchmark suite to give then
    > > higher PR (model) numbers. The fact is that the Spempron 2800+ ($107)
    only
    > > runs at about the same perfomance level as the XP 2400+ ($53). And why
    > > shouldn't it, it the same cpu, clocked at the same base cpu clockspeed.
    > > The only difference is that all the Sempron require a default 166MHz
    FSB.

    > > XP 2400+, core Tbred B, 15x133, 2000MHz
    > > Sempron 2800+, core Tbred B, 12x166, 2000MHz.
    > >
    > > Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd to
    > > be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name Cadilac on
    it
    > > and doubling the price. Buyer beware.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
    > > http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:56:19 -0500, Bob M <ram1220@vzavenue.net> wrote:

    > This still won't sway me to buy Intel next time. But I will make sure I
    >do my research on the AMD chips before I do upgrade again. Thanks for
    >the info.
    >
    > Bob

    If the Celeron wasn't such a dog AMD would have made the Sempron run
    faster, but it's a low end chip to compete with Celeron not Athlon XP or
    P4 or A64, get over it! ;p

    Ed
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html

    notice amd say's both socet A & 754 pin? what the deal with that

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:42:28 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:
    >

    >>AMDs' acronym for Sempron= Screw Everyone Purchasers Rely On Numbers.
    >

    > That Should have read, Screw Everyone Most Purchasers Rely On Numbers.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd
    > to be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name
    > Cadilac on it and doubling the price. Buyer beware.

    That doesn't mean that whole Sempron series is not worth its price.
    Sempron 2300+ with its price lower than XP 2000+ is pretty cheap
    processor.

    --
    # Lukasz Ledochowski
    # GG:503647

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:27:37 +0000, Lukasz Ledochowski wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd
    >> to be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name
    >> Cadilac on it and doubling the price. Buyer beware.
    >
    > That doesn't mean that whole Sempron series is not worth its price.
    > Sempron 2300+ with its price lower than XP 2000+ is pretty cheap
    > processor.

    The cheapest Sempron I could find was a 2400+ for $60. That's the same as
    a 2000+ XP, which sells for $48. But it's your money.:-)

    AMD has discontinued the XP's except for the XP 2800+ and faster Barton
    cores. Changed the name of the lower model Tbred XP's and raised the
    model (PR) numbers by a `400 and raised the price to match. What is it
    about this that you don't understand? Do some research.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > match. What is it about this that you don't understand? Do some
    > research.

    I've done some research and I found Sempron 2300+ (1583MHz,
    FSB166(333)) cheaper than XP 2000+ (1666, 133(266)). These are
    comparable processors and I can't say that this model is to expensive.

    --
    # Lukasz Ledochowski
    # GG:503647

    "crucom" <crucial@execulink.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html
    >
    > notice amd say's both socet A & 754 pin? what the deal with that

    It's a mistake!
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
    > "crucom" <crucial@execulink.com> wrote in message

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html

    > > notice amd say's both socet A & 754 pin? what the deal with that
    > >
    > It's a mistake!

    How is it a mistake?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:37:08 +0000, Lukasz Ledochowski wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> match. What is it about this that you don't understand? Do some
    >> research.
    >
    > I've done some research and I found Sempron 2300+ (1583MHz,
    > FSB166(333)) cheaper than XP 2000+ (1666, 133(266)). These are
    > comparable processors and I can't say that this model is to expensive.

    Ok, I've found several places that sell the XP 2000+ for $44. The
    cheapest Sempron I could find was $60 for a 2400+. The Only 2300+ I found
    was $88. So where have you found the Sempron 2300+ for under $44?

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:56:19 -0500, Bob M wrote:

    > This still won't sway me to buy Intel next time. But I will make sure I
    > do my research on the AMD chips before I do upgrade again. Thanks for
    > the info.

    Believe me, I'm not pushing Intel. The last Intel CPU I owned was a 486.:-)

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > Believe me, I'm not pushing Intel. The last Intel CPU I owned was a 486.:-)

    My 486 was an AMD DX4-100.

    I did have a 400MHz Celeron-A in 1999, though.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:32:01 -0400, crucom wrote:

    > http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html
    >
    > notice amd say's both socet A & 754 pin? what the deal with that

    The deal is that all their so called budget CPU's will get the Sempron
    name. The Sempron 3100+ is for socket 754 (and is slower than an A64
    2800+). 2800+ and below Semprons are for socket A.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    yeah ive herad about them changing the name of the duron to the sempron,
    just threw me off with the 1800bus. thank you im all ok now, i think but
    who knows, lol

    thanks for the help

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:32:01 -0400, crucom wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html
    >>
    >>notice amd say's both socet A & 754 pin? what the deal with that
    >>

    > The deal is that all their so called budget CPU's will get the Sempron
    > name. The Sempron 3100+ is for socket 754 (and is slower than an A64
    > 2800+). 2800+ and below Semprons are for socket A.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > > I've done some research and I found Sempron 2300+ (1583MHz,
    > > FSB166(333)) cheaper than XP 2000+ (1666, 133(266)). These are
    > > comparable processors and I can't say that this model is to
    > > expensive.
    >
    > Ok, I've found several places that sell the XP 2000+ for $44. The
    > cheapest Sempron I could find was $60 for a 2400+. The Only 2300+ I
    > found was $88. So where have you found the Sempron 2300+ for under
    > $44?

    It depends on the part of the world you are in:) I'm in Poland and here
    Athlon XP 2000+ and Sempron 2300+ cost about 60 USD. But ok, I agree
    that new Sempron line isn't that what i was really waiting for:) If you
    can buy XP 2400+ for 48USD (like www.sharkyextreme.com says) than
    Sempron is a product that could never exist.

    --
    # Lukasz Ledochowski
    # GG:503647

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:41:34 -0700, Daniel P wrote:

    > Here
    > http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/sempron/landing/sempron.htm

    Here what??

    BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
    properly cut everything that was below it. But as far as I can tell, it
    has nothing to do with your link, so I still don't know what point you are
    trying to make here. That Newegg sells bundled Semprons?

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    Read you learned it elementry school

    --
    "Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
    holds all the pieces of the Universe together"
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:41:34 -0700, Daniel P wrote:
    >
    > > Here

    http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/sempron/landing/sempron.htm

    > Here what??
    >
    > BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
    > properly cut everything that was below it. But as far as I can tell, it
    > has nothing to do with your link, so I still don't know what point you are
    > trying to make here. That Newegg sells bundled Semprons?

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

    > "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >> *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
    >> "crucom" <crucial@execulink.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    > http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html
    >> >
    >> > notice amd say's both socet A & 754 pin? what the deal with that
    >> >
    >> It's a mistake!
    >>

    > How is it a mistake?

    No sorry... Semprons are available in both Soc A and 754.... I though he
    meant one CPU was described as both...Doh!
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:00:39 -0700, Daniel P wrote:

    > Read you learned it elementry school

    Too bad you didn't learn how to post a newgroup message.

  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote

    > BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
    > properly cut everything that was below it.

    Properly?
    It's butcher. Find a workaround.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

    > "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
    > >
    > > BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
    > > properly cut everything that was below it.
    >
    > Properly?
    > It's butcher. Find a workaround.

    Correction: It's a butcher.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    Ed wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:56:19 -0500, Bob M <ram1220@vzavenue.net> wrote:
    >
    > > This still won't sway me to buy Intel next time. But I will make sure I
    > >do my research on the AMD chips before I do upgrade again. Thanks for
    > >the info.
    > >
    > > Bob
    >
    > If the Celeron wasn't such a dog AMD would have made the Sempron run
    > faster, but it's a low end chip to compete with Celeron not Athlon XP or
    > P4 or A64, get over it! ;p
    >
    > Ed

    Get over what dickhead?
    --
    Takeoff is an option.
    Landing is a must!

    And in the end on wheels we will depend.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    yeah what is with all the bottom postings?

    Ed Light wrote:
    > "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
    >
    >>BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
    >>properly cut everything that was below it.
    >

    > Properly?
    > It's butcher. Find a workaround.

  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    > yeah what is with all the bottom postings?
    >

    > Ed Light wrote:
    > > "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
    > >
    > >>BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
    > >>properly cut everything that was below it.
    > >

    > > Properly?
    > > It's butcher. Find a workaround.

    I'm sure a real newsreader would include everything up to the next header.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:01:17 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

    > "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
    >>
    >> BTW, since you top posted with a sig line at the top, my news reader
    >> properly cut everything that was below it.
    >
    > Properly?

    Yes, properly. And if you would use a real news reader instead of an email
    client like OE, it would do it properly too.:-)

    > It's butcher. Find a workaround.

    What? You want me to break it like OE is? There's no need to find a
    workaround, since there's not a problem with mine to workaround.:-)
    Now since OE won't delete the old sig line, it's you that should find a
    workaround, or delete it manually. But a real newsreader would do it for
    you.

  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    "Wes Newell"

    You're saying that your reader can't handle top posting, but it's superior.
    I'm mystified.

    It must be missing some necessary logic.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:31:31 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

    > "Wes Newell"
    >
    > You're saying that your reader can't handle top posting, but it's superior.
    > I'm mystified.
    >
    > It must be missing some necessary logic.

    No, it handles it just the way it should. Note that your sig line or
    anthing below it is in this message, and I didn't delete it. The
    newsreader did as it is supposed to. Now when you people using OE reply to
    a message OE leaves the old sig line in the message, and it is supposed to
    be removed. IOW's, my reader functions properly, yours doesn't.:-)

    And top posting is not superior. It's just plain stupid. Can't you
    configure OE to place the cursor after the quoted text where it should be?
    If not, then hit your page down key til you get to the bottom, and
    manually remove the old sig line. These are standard practices, and
    they've been around since long before windows.

  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    "Wes Newell"

    We must mean different things. To me a sig line is

    --
    Ed Light
    me@isp.net

    At any rate, whatever. I'm too tired to grasp what you're reader is doing.
    Sorry!

    When I top post I'm assuming that will be quick transition for someone
    reading the previous message, and if not, they can see below.

    I guess we can agree to disagree.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:24:00 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
    wrote:

    <snip>
    >When I top post I'm assuming that will be quick transition for someone
    >reading the previous message, and if not, they can see below.
    >
    >I guess we can agree to disagree.

    Bad thing about top posting is if there's a good long discussion going
    it's hard for others to jump in and follow, I get all confused who's
    replying to who, to me top posting is like if you were writing a letter
    and started at the bottom of the page and ended at the top! ;p

    just my $0.02
    Ed
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:24:00 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

    > "Wes Newell"
    >
    > We must mean different things. To me a sig line is
    >
    > --
    > Ed Light
    > me@isp.net

    That's correct, and it should be limited to 4 lines. I notice yours is 8.

    > At any rate, whatever. I'm too tired to grasp what you're reader is
    > doing. Sorry!

    It deleted your sigline and all thereafter when I pressed reply.

    > When I top post I'm assuming that will be quick transition for someone
    > reading the previous message, and if not, they can see below.

    It's not. Especially, when there's mixed top and bottom post from several
    people.

    > I guess we can agree to disagree.

    I choose to follow the set standard. I guess you don't.

  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    > On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:24:00 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
    >

    >> "Wes Newell"
    >>
    >> We must mean different things. To me a sig line is
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ed Light
    >> me@isp.net
    >>
    > That's correct, and it should be limited to 4 lines. I notice yours is 8.
    >
    >> At any rate, whatever. I'm too tired to grasp what you're reader is
    >> doing. Sorry!
    >>
    > It deleted your sigline and all thereafter when I pressed reply.
    >
    >> When I top post I'm assuming that will be quick transition for someone
    >> reading the previous message, and if not, they can see below.
    >>
    > It's not. Especially, when there's mixed top and bottom post from several
    > people.
    >
    >> I guess we can agree to disagree.
    >
    > I choose to follow the set standard. I guess you don't.

    How about a new standard? "Top post/bottom post" and "My newsreader is
    better than your newsreader" wars should be limited to two follow-ups
    before you guys are forced to change the subject line... ;)

    --
    Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On 28 Aug 2004 10:13:30 GMT, Peder <x@x.com> wrote:

    >How about a new standard? "Top post/bottom post" and "My newsreader is
    >better than your newsreader" wars should be limited to two follow-ups
    >before you guys are forced to change the subject line... ;)

    Standards are standards, you can't just change them! ;P
    Ed
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    kill file
    your gone

    --
    > On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:31:31 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
    >

    > > "Wes Newell"
    > >
    > > You're saying that your reader can't handle top posting, but it's
    superior.
    > > I'm mystified.
    > >
    > > It must be missing some necessary logic.
    >
    > No, it handles it just the way it should. Note that your sig line or
    > anthing below it is in this message, and I didn't delete it. The
    > newsreader did as it is supposed to. Now when you people using OE reply to
    > a message OE leaves the old sig line in the message, and it is supposed to
    > be removed. IOW's, my reader functions properly, yours doesn't.:-)
    >
    > And top posting is not superior. It's just plain stupid. Can't you
    > configure OE to place the cursor after the quoted text where it should be?
    > If not, then hit your page down key til you get to the bottom, and
    > manually remove the old sig line. These are standard practices, and
    > they've been around since long before windows.

  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    "Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote> Bad thing about top posting is if there's a
    good long discussion going
    > it's hard for others to jump in and follow, I get all confused who's
    > replying to who, to me top posting is like if you were writing a letter
    > and started at the bottom of the page and ended at the top! ;p

    Actually, I only top post if it makes sense after reading the stuff below
    it. Otherwise, I do the traditional reply under each part thing.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:24:00 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
    >

    > > "Wes Newell"
    > >
    > > We must mean different things. To me a sig line is
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ed Light
    > > me@isp.net
    > >
    > That's correct, and it should be limited to 4 lines. I notice yours is 8.

    I can't really worry about it given all the bandwidth that we have today.
    Ten years ago, I would have agreed.

    > I choose to follow the set standard. I guess you don't.

    Standards change with usage. The dictionaries used to show E-mail with caps
    but it's becoming e-mail.

    Stand back for the pioneers! ;-) Just kidding.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    "Peder" <x@x.com> wrote
    > How about a new standard? "Top post/bottom post" and "My newsreader is
    > better than your newsreader" wars should be limited to two follow-ups
    > before you guys are forced to change the subject line... ;)
    Not if we buy and install Semprons. How about if we used to run a Duron?
    :-)

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    BTW, Wes, how does your newsreader recognize a signature? How can it be
    sure? What parsing does it do to determine that?

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    > > If not, then hit your page down key til you get to the bottom, and
    > > manually remove the old sig line. These are standard practices, and
    > > they've been around since long before windows.

    Actually, I'm going to be sympathetic if you are using a text-based console.
    But the majority is way past that, I'm afraid.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:59:09 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

    > BTW, Wes, how does your newsreader recognize a signature? How can it be
    > sure? What parsing does it do to determine that?

    0A 2D 2D 20 0A

  43. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:59:09 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
    >
    > > BTW, Wes, how does your newsreader recognize a signature? How can it be
    > > sure? What parsing does it do to determine that?
    >
    > 0A 2D 2D 20 0A

    You lost me. But that's ok.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  44. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:40:48 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

    > "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:59:09 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
    >>
    >> > BTW, Wes, how does your newsreader recognize a signature? How can it be
    >> > sure? What parsing does it do to determine that?
    >>
    >> 0A 2D 2D 20 0A
    >
    > You lost me. But that's ok.

    That's the code that represents a newline, dash, dash, space, newline. Or
    a sig line, like you asked. I assumed you wanted the actual codes rather
    than 2 dashes, then a space and return on a new line.. The 2D 2D 20 and
    everything thereafter should be delted from the message in a reply.

  45. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
    > That's the code that represents a newline, dash, dash, space, newline. Or
    > a sig line, like you asked. I assumed you wanted the actual codes rather
    > than 2 dashes, then a space and return on a new line.. The 2D 2D 20 and
    > everything thereafter should be delted from the message in a reply.

    Not everyone starts their sig with two dashes, a space, and a return.
    And I know I might do a post such as:

    --
    --
    My response

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  46. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:12:08 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

    > "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
    >> That's the code that represents a newline, dash, dash, space, newline. Or
    >> a sig line, like you asked. I assumed you wanted the actual codes rather
    >> than 2 dashes, then a space and return on a new line.. The 2D 2D 20 and
    >> everything thereafter should be delted from the message in a reply.
    >
    > Not everyone starts their sig with two dashes, a space, and a return.
    > And I know I might do a post such as:
    >
    > --
    >>quoted text
    > --
    > My response

    Well, I didn't write the code, but if i had I would certainly would
    recognize only the last occurance of the target string as the sigline. And
    you might note that it was removed form this reply. Why don't you ask one
    of the newsreader authors? i'm sure they can tell you for sure.

    Just as a little test, I'm adding a second sigline manually to this
    message after the original one. And then we'll see what happens. Or I
    will, i guess if your reader doesn't support it, you won't.:-)

    The manual sigline is below this.

    --
    And this is the manually added one.
  47. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
    > Just as a little test, I'm adding a second sigline manually to this
    > message after the original one. And then we'll see what happens. Or I
    > will, i guess if your reader doesn't support it, you won't.:-)

    I see them!

    > The manual sigline is below this.
    >
    > --
    > And this is the manually added one.

  48. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:46:56 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:12:08 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
    >

    >> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
    >>> That's the code that represents a newline, dash, dash, space, newline. Or
    >>> a sig line, like you asked. I assumed you wanted the actual codes rather
    >>> than 2 dashes, then a space and return on a new line.. The 2D 2D 20 and
    >>> everything thereafter should be delted from the message in a reply.
    >>
    >> Not everyone starts their sig with two dashes, a space, and a return.
    >> And I know I might do a post such as:
    >>
    >> --
    >>>quoted text
    >> --
    >> My response
    >
    > Well, I didn't write the code, but if i had I would certainly would
    > recognize only the last occurance of the target string as the sigline. And
    > you might note that it was removed form this reply. Why don't you ask one
    > of the newsreader authors? i'm sure they can tell you for sure.
    >
    > Just as a little test, I'm adding a second sigline manually to this
    > message after the original one. And then we'll see what happens. Or I
    > will, i guess if your reader doesn't support it, you won't.:-)

    > The manual sigline is below this.

    So you see, it deletes only the last occurance of the the sigline
    sequence. Guess there's no need to bother the authors. Are you happy now? :-)

  49. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird (More info?)

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
    > So you see, it deletes only the last occurance of the the sigline
    > sequence. Guess there's no need to bother the authors. Are you happy now?
    :-)

    Sure, if you are. ;-)

    --
    Ed Light