Socket A to Socket 754 convertor

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1093263500,34914,

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

Here it is on ASRock's site: http://www.asrock.com/news/K7Upgrade880.htm

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:04:15 -0500, "yehool" <somewhere> wrote:

>Error: Invalid start/end news items.

Hmmmm sorry about that, the copy & paste ink must of ran out!

" ...the copy & paste ink must of ran out! "

The URL doesn't pick-up the comma at the end. Just add it manually.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

That's not a Socket A to Socket 754 converter at all. It's just a
socket A motherboard that has an upgrade slot that you can plug in a
Socket 754 daughterboard into!

So this doesn't allow you to plug an Athlon 64 into your existing Socket
A system. ASRock expects that you might want to buy this board with an
Athlon XP now so you have an Athlon 64 upgrade path--by spending
additional money for their daughterboard. But with nForce3 250-based
S754 boards running for as little $75 online, what's the point? You
have to buy a new CPU either way.

bill

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

In article <cgonak$c0e$1@news.xmission.com>, yeremein@nonexistent.net
says...
> That's not a Socket A to Socket 754 converter at all. It's just a
> socket A motherboard that has an upgrade slot that you can plug in a
> Socket 754 daughterboard into!
>
> So this doesn't allow you to plug an Athlon 64 into your existing Socket
> A system. ASRock expects that you might want to buy this board with an
> Athlon XP now so you have an Athlon 64 upgrade path--by spending
> additional money for their daughterboard. But with nForce3 250-based
> S754 boards running for as little $75 online, what's the point? You
> have to buy a new CPU either way.

Ok, which one of these are you guys talking about?

http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K8_combo-Z.htm

http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K8Upgrade760gx.htm

http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K7Upgrade880.htm

Bill

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:09:36 -0700, Bill wrote:

> Ok, which one of these are you guys talking about?
>
> http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K8_combo-Z.htm

Nifty little board. So let's say I buy a 754 3200+ with this board today.
Now 1 year down the road I want a 4200+ 939. Ok, just pull the old cpu and
plug in the new. But I'm still stuck with the same board with no new
features that will have come along, and now I've also got an extra cpu.
Some may like this, but it's not for me. And I don't know anything about
the Ali chipset. Is it as good as the NF3-250?

> http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K8Upgrade760gx.htm
>
> http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K7Upgrade880.htm

These two would leave me in the same boat as the above, but I'd have to
buy the upgrade board for each. Some may find these upgrade paths
attractive, but no way would I buy any of these boards. And I do have an
Asrock K7S8XR3 board now. And it's worked great for me.

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 03:44:32 GMT, Wes Newell
<w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:09:36 -0700, Bill wrote:
>
>> Ok, which one of these are you guys talking about?
>>
>> http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K8_combo-Z.htm
>>
>Nifty little board. So let's say I buy a 754 3200+ with this board today.
>Now 1 year down the road I want a 4200+ 939. Ok, just pull the old cpu and
>plug in the new. But I'm still stuck with the same board with no new
>features that will have come along, and now I've also got an extra cpu.
>Some may like this, but it's not for me. And I don't know anything about
>the Ali chipset. Is it as good as the NF3-250?
>
>> http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K8Upgrade760gx.htm
>>
>> http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K7Upgrade880.htm
>>
>These two would leave me in the same boat as the above, but I'd have to
>buy the upgrade board for each. Some may find these upgrade paths
>attractive, but no way would I buy any of these boards. And I do have an
>Asrock K7S8XR3 board now. And it's worked great for me.

If desktop mobos were selling for $300 it might be a good idea, but
boards are so cheap today, and every other day their adding more
features and better performance to the new models, maybe there is a
market for these, they must of done some research on it?, but hell
whatever it takes to sell more AMD chips and make AMD money is A-OK with
me! ;p

Ed
--
AMD's stock, $11.96 :(

bill

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

In article <pan.2004.08.28.03.44.04.756353@TAKEOUTverizon.net>,
w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net says...
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:09:36 -0700, Bill wrote:
>
> > Ok, which one of these are you guys talking about?
> >
> > http://www.asrock.com.tw/news/K8_combo-Z.htm
> >
> Nifty little board. So let's say I buy a 754 3200+ with this board today.
> Now 1 year down the road I want a 4200+ 939. Ok, just pull the old cpu and
> plug in the new. But I'm still stuck with the same board with no new
> features that will have come along, and now I've also got an extra cpu.
> Some may like this, but it's not for me. And I don't know anything about
> the Ali chipset. Is it as good as the NF3-250?

Damifino, I'm just tryin' to figure out who's on first.

Bill
<snip>

"Yeremein" <yeremein@nonexistent.net> wrote in message
> That's not a Socket A to Socket 754 converter at all. It's just a socket
> A motherboard that has an upgrade slot that you can plug in a Socket 754
> daughterboard into!

I never said it was a converter, I just provided a working link.... it looks
like a pointless idea to me.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

Say the motherboard is $70 and the daughterboard $20. A poverty guy with a
socket A chip is building a new computer. He's longing after a sempron 3100
or A 64 2800 but waiting for prices to drop more.

It perfect for him.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

I think the Asrock 754/939 will be sis. Their sis 745 board is well-loved by
user reviewers on newegg.

They say it's fast and stable. But it doesn't have good overclocking
options.

I think it has cool and quiet activated.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:50:15 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

> I think the Asrock 754/939 will be sis. Their sis 745 board is well-loved by
> user reviewers on newegg.
>
> They say it's fast and stable. But it doesn't have good overclocking
> options.

That's why I didn't get the Asrock 754 board. The Jetway S755MAX is the
only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more. Don't
know about their 745 board, but I've got a K7S8XR3 board with the 746FX
chipset that's great. I think their latest chips for the K7 was the 748.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
> The Jetway S755MAX is the
> only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more.
Does it have cool and quiet?
Darn, they don't have a manual to download.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed Light wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>
>>The Jetway S755MAX is the
>>only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more.
>
> Does it have cool and quiet?
> Darn, they don't have a manual to download.

Here are some links to reviews you should probably read:

http://www.amdboard.com/zarch0216-1804.html

http://www.amdboard.com/sis_755_chipset.html

http://xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/sis755.html

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:39:20 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>> The Jetway S755MAX is the
>> only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more.
> Does it have cool and quiet?
> Darn, they don't have a manual to download.

CnQ, yes. get manual here.

ftp://61.30.14.91/manual/

It appears their main website (www.jetway.com.tw) is down. I don't no why
the manual adn bioses aren't on the jetwaycomputer.com site. Maybe they
are changing to the new name since jetway.com belongs to the aircraft
jetway people.:)

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:39:20 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
>

>>"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
>>
>>>The Jetway S755MAX is the
>>>only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more.
>>
>>Does it have cool and quiet?
>>Darn, they don't have a manual to download.
>

> CnQ, yes. get manual here.
>
> ftp://61.30.14.91/manual/
>
> It appears their main website (www.jetway.com.tw) is down. I don't no why
> the manual adn bioses aren't on the jetwaycomputer.com site. Maybe they
> are changing to the new name since jetway.com belongs to the aircraft
> jetway people.:)

I downloaded the manual for the S755MAX and there is absolutely no
reference to 'Cool-n-Quiet"

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

"The Chief" <cwo@usarmy.ret> wrote
> I downloaded the manual for the S755MAX and there is absolutely no
> reference to 'Cool-n-Quiet"

I don't find it either.

Does it lock the pci/agp buses?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

So the S755MAX has no multiplier control, or are all a-64 boards like that?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed Light wrote:

> "The Chief" <cwo@usarmy.ret> wrote
>
>>I downloaded the manual for the S755MAX and there is absolutely no
>>reference to 'Cool-n-Quiet"
>

> I don't find it either.
>
> Does it lock the pci/agp buses?

I don't see any reference to locking either. I think nVidia was the
only one with bus locking in the nForce 3 250Gb chipset.

Ed Light wrote:

> So the S755MAX has no multiplier control, or are all a-64 boards like that?

Look at page 32 & 33. You can go from 200 to 233MHZ. So, if you were
running a 3000+ that normally runs at 2000MHz you could overclock it to
2333MHz.

Ed Light wrote:

> So the S755MAX has no multiplier control, or are all a-64 boards like that?

Why don't you download the manual and read it? You might learn
something instead of asking all your questions in a forum!

"The Chief" <cwo@usarmy.ret> wrote in message
> Ed Light wrote:
>
> > So the S755MAX has no multiplier control, or are all a-64 boards like
that?

> Why don't you download the manual and read it? You might learn
> something instead of asking all your questions in a forum!

I did, that's how I know it has no multiplier control.

Further, it doesn't answer my question, which was "all a-64 boards are like
that"?

Thimk 1st, Chief! ;-)
--
Ed Light