KVM switch not working with XP

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

I just bought a KVM swith (JustCom) for 2 XP machines, and it worked
for a bout 10 seconds )as both machines were booting) then one of the
PCs "found new hardware" and "installed" it, and it stopped working.
There is a key combination to make it toggle, and it simply doesn't
work. It could be the fault of the switch I'm sure, but then I would
think they would blame it on windows.
I noticed in the Device Manager that it says Com1, Com2 and the VGA
adaptor have problems, basically there are no drivers installed. I
tried to reinstall, update, roll back, install from the Windows CD,
tried a windows update, and it says there are no drivers available to
install or reinstall. I tried several System Restores and it always
says it couldn't do the restore (no reason given).
Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is maybe trying to
Uninstall the hardware, or maybe reinstall windows (always fun, but I
don't want that much fun so I think I'll look for another solution if
possible.)
Any ideas?

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Are there any that specifically do work with XP? It's so hard to tell
now days; even things that say they should work with XP sometimes
don't. XP can be tricky for hardward and software makers apparently. I
don't want to go back and exchange it for another one and if it not
work either.

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

That makes sense. I really would prefer one with it's own button to
switch between the two anyway. But I worry now that those drivers got
messed up and that might still be a problem even after I get a new KVM.

Some KVMs are Just not Compatible with XP...
Try another model.
--PA

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message news:1124148263.519143.37560@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I just bought a KVM swith (JustCom) for 2 XP machines, and it worked
> for a bout 10 seconds )as both machines were booting) then one of the
> PCs "found new hardware" and "installed" it, and it stopped working.
> There is a key combination to make it toggle, and it simply doesn't
> work. It could be the fault of the switch I'm sure, but then I would
> think they would blame it on windows.
> I noticed in the Device Manager that it says Com1, Com2 and the VGA
> adaptor have problems, basically there are no drivers installed. I
> tried to reinstall, update, roll back, install from the Windows CD,
> tried a windows update, and it says there are no drivers available to
> install or reinstall. I tried several System Restores and it always
> says it couldn't do the restore (no reason given).
> Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is maybe trying to
> Uninstall the hardware, or maybe reinstall windows (always fun, but I
> don't want that much fun so I think I'll look for another solution if
> possible.)
> Any ideas?

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:33:11 +0200, "Pavel A."
<pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote:

><gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message news:1124148263.519143.37560@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>I just bought a KVM swith (JustCom) for 2 XP machines, and it worked
>> for a bout 10 seconds )as both machines were booting) then one of the
>> PCs "found new hardware" and "installed" it, and it stopped working.
>> There is a key combination to make it toggle, and it simply doesn't
>> work. It could be the fault of the switch I'm sure, but then I would
>> think they would blame it on windows.
>> I noticed in the Device Manager that it says Com1, Com2 and the VGA
>> adaptor have problems, basically there are no drivers installed. I
>> tried to reinstall, update, roll back, install from the Windows CD,
>> tried a windows update, and it says there are no drivers available to
>> install or reinstall. I tried several System Restores and it always
>> says it couldn't do the restore (no reason given).
>> Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is maybe trying to
>> Uninstall the hardware, or maybe reinstall windows (always fun, but I
>> don't want that much fun so I think I'll look for another solution if
>> possible.)
>> Any ideas?
>>

>Some KVMs are Just not Compatible with XP...
>Try another model.
>--PA

Bah.

The KVMs that use hotkey combos to switch between systems intercept
the keystrokes before they get to the OS, so if the hotkeys don't
work:

1. XP may not be receiving any information from the KVM switch, or
2. The KVM may be bad.

In article <1124148263.519143.37560@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
gregf@kcls.org says...
> I just bought a KVM swith (JustCom) for 2 XP machines, and it worked
> for a bout 10 seconds )as both machines were booting) then one of the
> PCs "found new hardware" and "installed" it, and it stopped working.
> There is a key combination to make it toggle, and it simply doesn't
> work. It could be the fault of the switch I'm sure, but then I would
> think they would blame it on windows.
> I noticed in the Device Manager that it says Com1, Com2 and the VGA
> adaptor have problems, basically there are no drivers installed. I
> tried to reinstall, update, roll back, install from the Windows CD,
> tried a windows update, and it says there are no drivers available to
> install or reinstall. I tried several System Restores and it always
> says it couldn't do the restore (no reason given).
> Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is maybe trying to
> Uninstall the hardware, or maybe reinstall windows (always fun, but I
> don't want that much fun so I think I'll look for another solution if
> possible.)
> Any ideas?

I bought a PS2 KVM clone and found it worked with all my machines - I
actually have about 8 different KVM clones. Just the other day I got a
brand-new MS optical mouse (cheap, no frills) that was USB based, used
the USB<>PS2 adapter and the KVM would not work. Connected three other
USB mice (non-Microsoft) and it worked fine.

Try a different mouse if you are using one of those USB<>PS2 converters.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Since you just bought this KVM, you should be asking JustCom's tech support.

If this is a standard KVM that has PS/2 and VGA connectors for switching
between the PCs, then this should would without XP "adding new harware".

"gregf@kcls.org" wrote:
> Are there any that specifically do work with XP? It's so hard to tell
> now days; even things that say they should work with XP sometimes
> don't. XP can be tricky for hardward and software makers apparently. I
> don't want to go back and exchange it for another one and if it not
> work either.

It is easy to find hardware compatible with XP or other current Windows
versions.
Microsoft has a compatibility test for KVM switches, so
manufacturers can test their product before it gets to you.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/whql/device/kvmswitch.mspx

List of devices that successfuly passed the test can be found here:
http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/

Regards,
--PA

Some KVMs have upgradeable firmware - ask the vendor's support.

I have SwitchView KVMs 2- and 4-port; work well.

--PA

"Leythos" wrote:
> Just the other day I got a
> brand-new MS optical mouse (cheap, no frills) that was USB based, used
> the USB<>PS2 adapter and the KVM would not work. Connected three other
> USB mice (non-Microsoft) and it worked fine.

These small USB to PS2 adapters are *passive* and suitable only for
mice that support *both* USB and PS2 modes.
These mice detect what interface they are connected to, and switch
to appropriate mode.

--PA

In article <52E3FC51-0EC7-431A-9AD3-F9894E0572AD@microsoft.com>,
pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com says...
> "Leythos" wrote:
> > Just the other day I got a
> > brand-new MS optical mouse (cheap, no frills) that was USB based, used
> > the USB<>PS2 adapter and the KVM would not work. Connected three other
> > USB mice (non-Microsoft) and it worked fine.
>
> These small USB to PS2 adapters are *passive* and suitable only for
> mice that support *both* USB and PS2 modes.
> These mice detect what interface they are connected to, and switch
> to appropriate mode.

Thats fine, but the only mouse I've seen not work with a KVM clone was a
MS mouse - and it included the adapter.

--

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message news:MPG.1d6c0c6aae8aaf1a989bf2@news-server.columbus.rr.com...
> Thats fine, but the only mouse I've seen not work with a KVM clone was a
> MS mouse - and it included the adapter.

Ok then it doesn't work because of another reason :)

--PA

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

When you say "it didn't work" do you mean that just the mouse would not
control the cursor, or that the toggle between both PCs did not work? I
am having to use a ps2-usb converter, but the mouse works fine, it's
just the hot key combo to switch does nothing.

I am in contact with the JustCom tech support, but they are more
interested in telling me how great the thing is and how many they sell
per month, and the only real advice to the ususal, ie reboot, switch
PCs etc. Even they are saying that it might be bad and needs replacing.
But I need to be carefull- should I just buy a new USB mouse, will that
fix it? or should I ship it back to them, pay shipping and pay the
restocking fee, then get another that still won't work, and end up buy
a new brand anyway...my point is this should have been a simple cheap
and painless thing and now it's already too late to not loose money. I
want to know what for sure is going to work with the least amount of
hassle.

Leythos wrote:
> In article <52E3FC51-0EC7-431A-9AD3-F9894E0572AD@microsoft.com>,
> pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com says...
> > "Leythos" wrote:
> > > Just the other day I got a
> > > brand-new MS optical mouse (cheap, no frills) that was USB based, used
> > > the USB<>PS2 adapter and the KVM would not work. Connected three other
> > > USB mice (non-Microsoft) and it worked fine.
> >
> > These small USB to PS2 adapters are *passive* and suitable only for
> > mice that support *both* USB and PS2 modes.
> > These mice detect what interface they are connected to, and switch
> > to appropriate mode.
>
> Thats fine, but the only mouse I've seen not work with a KVM clone was a
> MS mouse - and it included the adapter.
>

> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

I'm finding now that I can get it to work on 2 different PCs, but all
are bascially the same versions of Windows XP, there shouldn't be any
real difference. So what about this particular PC could be making it
not work?

In article <1124311647.837431.324550@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
gregf@kcls.org says...
> I'm finding now that I can get it to work on 2 different PCs, but all
> are bascially the same versions of Windows XP, there shouldn't be any
> real difference. So what about this particular PC could be making it
> not work?

No idea.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Apparently this switch does use the OS for the hotkey combo to work, so
not all KVMs intercept the signal first.

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message news:1124387989.827135.208960@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Apparently this switch does use the OS for the hotkey combo to work, so
> not all KVMs intercept the signal first.

KVM switch should not use OS for anything.
It senses the hotkeys internally.

--PA

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

JustCom said that their KVM switch does use the OS, and that is why it
didn't work, because there was something incompatible between the state
of that PCs OS and their switch. I agree that it SHOULND'T be that way,
but it is.