Duron 1.6 's Cooler Master heatsink has cheap zinc oxide p..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.malaysia,jaring.pcbase (More info?)

This cpu ( distributed by Adventure Multi Devices SB, PJ, Msia ) came
with this h-sink & paste. Because this h-sink 's contact area with cpu's
die is coarse, hence quality of thermal paste becomes very important,
yet h-sink has just cheap zinc oxide paste.
Cpu cooling was noticeably bad ; temperature does not drop fast,
after ACPI is activated [ii] a fan* fitted behind socket A could reduce
remnant heat by 44.4%, indicating >15ºC difference between cpu's &
ambient air temperature [iii] hdd speed 4.8 mb/s in WinTune98 was
lower than usual .
I had to remove all the plugs & cards, then mboard from casing, then
h-sink & fan plug, clean off cheap paste ( on h-sink & cpu die ) using
alcohol & cotton bud, apply Arctic Silver I paste to die, re-fit hsink,
plugs & cards. Real chore.
Result cpu temperature drops faster, with ACPI activated [ii] * can
reduce remnant heat by just 30% [iii] cpu responds fstr to commands
[iv] hdd speed in WinTune returned to 5.7 mb/s [v] video speed in Win
Tune rose from 179 to 182 mp/s.
Users / buyers beware.
3 answers Last reply
More about duron cooler master heatsink cheap zinc oxide
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.malaysia,jaring.pcbase (More info?)

    > Result cpu temperature drops faster, with ACPI activated [ii] * can
    > reduce remnant heat by just 30% [iii] cpu responds fstr to commands
    > [iv] hdd speed in WinTune returned to 5.7 mb/s [v] video speed in Win
    > Tune rose from 179 to 182 mp/s.

    Wow...all that just by changing thermal pate...It's a miracle !!!!
    BTW.....WTF is 'remnant heat'?

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.malaysia,jaring.pcbase (More info?)

    FWIW, there is no chance that by only changing the thermal paste [and,
    presumably, reducing the CPU temp], that the cpu would speed up or the hdd
    would speed up or video performance would increase. While excessive temps
    could cause anyone of them to fail, simply changing their temps will no
    change their performance.

    You have to look elsewhere for the causes for change in performance. [PS.
    The differences you should could be simply from variations from one test to
    another - i.e., each time you run the tests, you can get slighly different
    results - unless you are very careful to insure the pc is in exactly the
    same state each time]

    "Lim PE" <sickend@zdnetmail.com> wrote in message
    > This cpu ( distributed by Adventure Multi Devices SB, PJ, Msia ) came
    > with this h-sink & paste. Because this h-sink 's contact area with cpu's
    > die is coarse, hence quality of thermal paste becomes very important,
    > yet h-sink has just cheap zinc oxide paste.
    > Cpu cooling was noticeably bad ; temperature does not drop fast,
    > after ACPI is activated [ii] a fan* fitted behind socket A could reduce
    > remnant heat by 44.4%, indicating >15ºC difference between cpu's &
    > ambient air temperature [iii] hdd speed 4.8 mb/s in WinTune98 was
    > lower than usual .
    > I had to remove all the plugs & cards, then mboard from casing, then
    > h-sink & fan plug, clean off cheap paste ( on h-sink & cpu die ) using
    > alcohol & cotton bud, apply Arctic Silver I paste to die, re-fit hsink,
    > plugs & cards. Real chore.
    > Result cpu temperature drops faster, with ACPI activated [ii] * can
    > reduce remnant heat by just 30% [iii] cpu responds fstr to commands
    > [iv] hdd speed in WinTune returned to 5.7 mb/s [v] video speed in Win
    > Tune rose from 179 to 182 mp/s.
    > Users / buyers beware.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.malaysia,jaring.pcbase (More info?)

    >hei bafi
    "Lim PE" <sickend@zdnetmail.com> wrote in message
    > This cpu ( distributed by Adventure Multi Devices SB, PJ, Msia ) came
    > with this h-sink & paste. Because this h-sink 's contact area with cpu's
    > die is coarse, hence quality of thermal paste becomes very important,
    > yet h-sink has just cheap zinc oxide paste.
    > Cpu cooling was noticeably bad ; temperature does not drop fast,
    > after ACPI is activated [ii] a fan* fitted behind socket A could reduce
    > remnant heat by 44.4%, indicating >15ºC difference between cpu's &
    > ambient air temperature [iii] hdd speed 4.8 mb/s in WinTune98 was
    > lower than usual .
    > I had to remove all the plugs & cards, then mboard from casing, then
    > h-sink & fan plug, clean off cheap paste ( on h-sink & cpu die ) using
    > alcohol & cotton bud, apply Arctic Silver I paste to die, re-fit hsink,
    > plugs & cards. Real chore.
    > Result cpu temperature drops faster, with ACPI activated [ii] * can
    > reduce remnant heat by just 30% [iii] cpu responds fstr to commands
    > [iv] hdd speed in WinTune returned to 5.7 mb/s [v] video speed in Win
    > Tune rose from 179 to 182 mp/s.
    > Users / buyers beware.

AMD Cooler Master CPUs Overclocking